SB Exhaust Manifold Washer Question...

-

eekvonzipper

My Member is Legendary!
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Are the Conical Washers used on Every Fastener?
I have 8 of them, they were used on the Outside Studs and the Center (Dual Part)
but had regular flat washers on the Fat part of the Manifold. (with the longer bolts)
Should I Use 4 more so I have them all the way across? Or are the Flat ones okay?

washer.jpg

mani.jpg

Are the Conical Washers used on Every Fastener?
I have 8 of them, they were used on the Outside Studs and the Center (Dual Part)
but had regular flat washers on the Fat part of the Manifold. (with the longer bolts)
Should I Use 4 more so I have them all the way across? Or are the Flat ones okay?

View attachment 1715934988

View attachment 1715934989
They were only added on the pins on each end of the exhaust manifold. A total of 4 washers for one car. But I have seen untouched cars with washers on the center bolts as well. Ma Mopar you know.

My big question is are the conical washers even really necessary? Lots of engines with cast exhaust manifolds that don't use them with no issues.

I would guess that they allow stuff to move around a lil during the heat cycles and prevent cracked ears on the manifolds...

The conical washer should only be at the outer pins. According to the partsbook there should be 4 on one engine.
However, over the years I have seen 2 up to 8 conical washers. Ma Mopar!:lol:

The conical washers in your picture are not the correct washers for the two end exhaust manifold studs. Those take the special brass washers that are counter sunk to accept the correct castled type nuts that go in that location. The correct brass washer is on the left in the picture below. The conical washer on the right does NOT go on the end studs on the exhaust manifold. And yes, you must use the correct hardware in the correct location, or else the manifold(s) can crack and break since they expand and contract at different rates. They must be allowed a slight bit of freedom so to speak. The advice to put the conical washers on those locations is incorrect.
SLANT 6 HARDWARE.jpg

The conical washers in your picture are not the correct washers for the two end exhaust manifold studs. Those take the special brass washers that are counter sunk to accept the correct castled type nuts that go in that location. The correct brass washer is on the left in the picture below. The conical washer on the right does NOT go on the end studs on the exhaust manifold. And yes, you must use the correct hardware in the correct location, or else the manifold(s) can crack and break since they expand and contract at different rates. They must be allowed a slight bit of freedom so to speak. The advice to put the conical washers on those locations is incorrect.
View attachment 1715964012

He is running a 273, not a slant six. As I remember the conical washers go on the 4 outboard studs and bolts. With just bolts, no washers on the center two.

Last edited:
He is running a 273, not a slant six. As I remember the conical washers go on the 4 outboard studs and bolts. with just bolts on the center two.
Gotchya. My bad. Then disregard my response. I always have slant 6 on the brain. Sorry yall.

Gotchya. My bad. Then disregard my response. I always have slant 6 on the brain. Sorry yall.

All good. It is especially important with a slant, as long as they are and the bolts and washers doing double duty attaching the intake also.

The conical washers are to spread the stress of the bolts on the relatively fragile cast iron manifolds. (how many small block manifolds have you seen with the "ears" busted off?) Use on all the studs and bolts where they can be used. Use bare bolts on a cast iron manifold at your peril!!!

The conical washers are to spread the stress of the bolts on the relatively fragile cast iron manifolds. (how many small block manifolds have you seen with the "ears" busted off?) Use on all the studs and bolts where they can be used. Use bare bolts on a cast iron manifold at your peril!!!
I used the Conical Washer on the Ends and the Center. So, 1,3-4 and 6. The Two Longer Bolts got Flat Washers on 2&5 because I only had Eight of them.

3.jpg

-
Back