memike

Super Moderator
Staff member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Contact seller
I picked this up from a friend I enjoyed many years at George Ray's and I asked him if he had any parts from back in the day

This is all he had.

I would like to get $75.00 out of it plus shipping :-k

looks like it has been painted, so I may have pictures later on :thumblef:
I need a new smaller/shorter one for my 318 in my Ramcharger daily driver "aluminum" preferred

Sneaky HillBilly Intake :toothy7: Pay pall or M.O. or highest offer :toothy7:

Gold members $65 Thank you FABO :notworth:

Attachments

• Spring 2011 068.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 388
  • Spring 2011 069.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 391
  • Spring 2011 059.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 370
  • Spring 2011 060.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 386
  • Spring 2011 057.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 373
  • Spring 2011 058.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 392
  • Spring 2011 039.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 387
How is that one different from the old Torker 340 I have on my rod?

Some mismatched ports there.

That's a Tarantula intake. Suppose to be for higher RPM than a Torker.
A mismatch like that is nothing to be concerned about since the intake ports are smaller than the head ports. No flow interference and it may even help reduce reversion. The amount of movement during installation, forward or back can create a little overlap like that even if the ports are "matched" (if not exactly lined up during installation). But then one side would overlap without interfering with flow while the other would.

I had that sucker on an 318 yearssss back way back,down low it was a dog but when I got on to it it flowed good.

Sold !! I will let the member jump in here if he want's to :thumblef:
After I give him a shipping quote.

Thank you Joeychgo. I think my membership is getting close to be renewed ?

That's a Tarantula intake. Suppose to be for higher RPM than a Torker.
A mismatch like that is nothing to be concerned about since the intake ports are smaller than the head ports.... But then one side would overlap without interfering with flow while the other would.

Locomotion sorta stumbled on the answer at the end.

Any mismatch causes flow interference. It is called a sudden expansion or sudden contraction which reduces flow energy. You will learn this if you take a fluid dynamics class. Totally smooth with minimum transition is the way to go.

This class will also teach you how to calculate Mach numbers which is the basis for ram induction and the cross ram design.

I thought we were workin on a trade for this? You could have at least let me know something instead of leavin me hangin with no answer.

I sent you the last messege lettin you know just what you posted. that the intake you had was the big port and if you wanted to throw somethin else in we could make it work. I said that because I was gonna have to port 318 heads out to match. I didn't mention money...I just said "somethin". So, yes, since I sent the last PM lettin you know that, I certainly was the one awaiting an answer. Then I see you put the intake for sale here. It's all good. Don't think another thing of it.

Locomotion sorta stumbled on the answer at the end.

Any mismatch causes flow interference. It is called a sudden expansion or sudden contraction which reduces flow energy. You will learn this if you take a fluid dynamics class. Totally smooth with minimum transition is the way to go.

This class will also teach you how to calculate Mach numbers which is the basis for ram induction and the cross ram design.
no need to take classes regarding fluid dynamics. we are talking vapours here. the rougher the intake runners are the greater the fuel droplets will be broken up and the fuel will be ignited much better than with a smooth intake runner. the exhaust will be a different story. have fun with this one boys

no need to take classes regarding fluid dynamics. we are talking vapours here. the rougher the intake runners are the greater the fuel droplets will be broken up and the fuel will be ignited much better than with a smooth intake runner. the exhaust will be a different story. have fun with this one boys

Sorry guy, I had the classes, and took notes. Whether you are talking air/fuel or just air, it's fluid dynamics. ANY step will cause a sudden expansion or contraction depending on the geometry of the step, either way it lowers your flow energy. It's just like driving when something is in your way and you have to swerve at the last minute, It interrupts your flow. :poke:

At the point where you have the step, you will induce a turbulent flow. This will slow down the flow in the port at that point. Slowing the flow, is ruducing your velocity of air at that point. Rick Mudge summed it up once, "velocity is torque". When you lower your velocity, you loose torque.

Who is Rickl Mudge??? :dontknow:

He ran the flow bench at Chrysler and helped design the 5.7 Hemi head. :notworth:

He also built a natrually aspirated four cylinder and put it in a rail which set the record at Milan Dragway in that class by running mid 8's. :king:

Sorry guy, I had the classes, and took notes. Whether you are talking air/fuel or just air, it's fluid dynamics. ANY step will cause a sudden expansion or contraction depending on the geometry of the step, either way it lowers your flow energy. It's just like driving when something is in your way and you have to swerve at the last minute, It interrupts your flow. :poke:

At the point where you have the step, you will induce a turbulent flow. This will slow down the flow in the port at that point. Slowing the flow, is ruducing your velocity of air at that point. Rick Mudge summed it up once, "velocity is torque". When you lower your velocity, you loose torque.

Who is Rickl Mudge??? :dontknow:

He ran the flow bench at Chrysler and helped design the 5.7 Hemi head. :notworth:

He also built a natrually aspirated four cylinder and put it in a rail which set the record at Milan Dragway in that class by running mid 8's. :king:
sounds to me like you have done your homework and actually remembered it. you are right on a number of points but when it comes to the intake ports just before the intake valves you actually want turbulence to be present therefore a smooth port will not give you this. there are a number of excellent engine builders out there and rick mudge i am sure is one of them. anyhow check with your engine builder for guidance before porting would be the bottom line. no need to smooth everything.

sounds to me like you have done your homework and actually remembered it.

I started rebuilding engines when I was 13. My love for cars drove me (pun intended) to become a mechanical engineer, so I could understand them better. (And I became bored as a mechanic after fixing the same thing on a car three to four times - no challenge anymore.)

After having a good background as a mechanic, I sat in many classes and while the professor was explaining theories, it would dawn on me "that is why this works that way", from my experience as a mechanic. It helped me understand and remember the theories that the teachers were explaining/teaching better. It also helped me understand engines and other mechanical issues that help me build my cars better.

I started rebuilding engines when I was 13. My love for cars drove me (pun intended) to become a mechanical engineer, so I could understand them better. (And I became bored as a mechanic after fixing the same thing on a car three to four times - no challenge anymore.)

After having a good background as a mechanic, I sat in many classes and while the professor was explaining theories, it would dawn on me "that is why this works that way", from my experience as a mechanic. It helped me understand and remember the theories that the teachers were explaining/teaching better. It also helped me understand engines and other mechanical issues that help me build my cars better.

I wish all engineers had to apprentice as a mechanic. Maybe then we would not have designs that require extraordinary feats by mechanics to work on. A couple of examples come to mind: 10+ hours to change a heater core in a Dodge Durango, 20+ hours to change spark plugs and valve cover gaskets in a Cadillac Northstar because the engine has to be moved first for access. I remember a service bulletin for a 66 Pontiac Tempest 326 V8 that included a template for the inner fender to show where to drill the hole to access one of the spark plugs that could not otherwise be accessed. I would love to see engineers brought into the shop to work on some of this stuff.

Leanna has taught me well on taking pictures and packing :cheers:
Money received and this is an update for our member :happy10:
This will hit the mail Monday morning

Thank you :happy10:

Attachments

• Spring 2011 082.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 222
  • Spring 2011 083.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 214
So, would you say that Leanna is good at sending men packing???

Don't get me ta laughing :toothy10: It will make me want to open a beer and I am cutting back :-D
I have sent her stuff to be coated and she showed me how important it is to take good pictures and keep a customer updated :-D
Thank you for a funny this evening :toothy10:

So, would you say that Leanna is good at sending men packing???

Don't get me ta laughing :toothy10: It will make me want to open a beer and I am cutting back :-D
I have sent her stuff to be coated and she showed me how important it is to take good pictures and keep a customer updated :-D
Thank you for a funny this evening :toothy10:

LOL @ BOTH of you! :love7:

Always happy to be of service memike < curtsey >

The way I see it, I put a lot of love and hours into my work and the last thing I want to see happen is package revenge from a UPS guy having a bad day. Bubble wrap is expensive ... but wouldn't come close to the cost of the look on your face opening that box and seeing that masterpiece crushed into a zillion small pieces. It won't happen on my watch if I can help it.

I wish all engineers had to apprentice as a mechanic. Maybe then we would not have designs that require extraordinary feats by mechanics to work on.... I would love to see engineers brought into the shop to work on some of this stuff.

I hear ya on that. I tried to look out for "us guys" who work on cars when I was designing stuff. Unfortunately there are some engineers who have never turned a wrench in their lives. Other times, they would not give us enough room to allow for service.

Or the guy who was supposed to "look out" for service came to me once just before the launch and asked for changes. We did not have time to accomodate his request and all the money allocated to the program was used up and we could not afford to change. It has to be done on a case by case basis.

Then there were a few cases where we were lucky enough just to design it so we could just put it together in the assembly plants, much less allow for easy service. When "we" work on our cars at home, we have all the time that we need to get the job done (theoretically). Where in a vehicle assembly plant, the operator (worker) has only 50 seconds to do their job before the next one is there in front of them. In the engine assembly plant we only had 22 seconds for each worker to do their job. It makes things a little more challenging.

I would try to accomodate the line worker that complained that they could not do their jobs. I would ask them to let me try it for a few jobs, so I could see first hand what they were dealing with. If I could do it myself in the proper time, then I would tell them that they should be able to do it. If I could not do the job in that time, then I would agree we needed to change something. I kept the mindset that if I could not do it myself, how could I expect someone else to. Let me tell you, once the workers got used to doing their jobs, they could do them much faster than I could when I was "just trying" to see if it was possible.

Not all of the design engineers spent time in the assembly plants to learn how that whole process worked. I enjoyed working on both sides of the fence in design and manufacturing so I could understand the whole process. I always kept my mechanic background in mind and tried to look out for the workers who put the parts on and the poor guy who had to fix this in service whenever possible.

Well, I better stop here, because I could go on for hours.

LOL @ BOTH of you! :love7:

So LOL:

1. Is that for "Laugh out Loud?" :-D

2. Or "Lots of Love." :love7:

I hope it is for both, because we love you too, and like to make you laugh.... :-D :toothy10: :-D

Let me buy you an ice cream cone. :icescrea:

It's both. Thank you for the ice cream! It'll be perfect for dessert after that roast I've been working on all day turns into hot beef and gravy sandwiches here in a little while. :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back