SB to BB swap

-

dICKj

Reaction score
Do you really have to change k-member to swap Bb in place of sb in a duster? It just seems that a little cutting, welding and fabbing could get the job done.

I can honestly say that I have never swapped a K frame just to facilitate an engine change.
K frames of all flavors (within their respective model years) have the same dimensions as far as clearances go- the only basic difference being in the engine mounting "pedestals" themselves, nothing that a little creative engineering with basic fab skills can't overcome. Unless it's a restoration or you're a purist, but then you wouldn't be swapping engines anyway.

No not at all do you have to change the K-member.
You may need to modify & buy mounts.
If you have a 6 cylinder the driver side mount needs cut to fit the oil pump spring.
I was going that route but now I'm running an engine plate. I have a picture if you'd like of a modified mount.
Sorry it says I don't have enough memory to send a photo & don't know how to fix that.

Last edited:
This is all that needed to be done to mine, just to clear the oil pump. I use RamCharger/truck motor mounts and I think B-body brackets.
I now have a QA1 k member, and it has a little notch in it already.
919EC4D8-92C2-4F73-B03D-CBECEBDAABEE.jpeg

This is a 1970 v8 k member

-
Back