SBM with Novi 2000

-

chargd72

Reaction score
I'm new to this forum and thought I would share my build. Sorry it's not an A body. '72 Charger with 360/408 magnum with a Paxton Novi 2000. They don't make a bracket for this setup so had to do a lot of custom fabricating. Should be a fun ride once I get it dialed in.

IMG_002342fabo.JPG

IMG_04013232016.JPG

IMG_05354252016.JPG

IMG_053625042016.JPG

IMG_2579.JPG

Looks like it fits that engine bay well! Always laughed at how small a small block looked in those b-body cars.

Thanks guy!

Rumblefish, it is a modded novi 2000 bracket that came out of a 5.0 Mustang. I cut it down by about 1/3, repositioned it and drilled new holes. Then I order the alternator bracket from Paxton off their universal kit and had spacers machined to set it correctly. I should have taken more pics and measurements of just the bracket. I will be sure to do so the next time I pull it off.

'72 Charger with 360/408 magnum with a Paxton Novi 2000.

Nice build! should be a lot of fun.

One thing I am concerned about is that it looks like you have edelbrock LA heads. if it is a magnum block, as you mentioned. these heads might not be compatible with your block.

The LA heads oil the top end through holes drilled in the block.

The magnum engines don't have these holes because they oil through the pushrods. LA heads can't oil through the pushrods.

You MUST use Magnum heads on a magnum block.

However magnum heads can be used on either block, If the right pushrods and lifters are used.

Anyone else wanna confirm this?

Nice build! should be a lot of fun.

One thing I am concerned about is that it looks like you have edelbrock LA heads. if it is a magnum block, as you mentioned. these heads might not be compatible with your block.

The LA heads oil the top end through holes drilled in the block.

The magnum engines don't have these holes because they oil through the pushrods. LA heads can't oil through the pushrods.

You MUST use Magnum heads on a magnum block.

However magnum heads can be used on either block, If the right pushrods and lifters are used.

Anyone else wanna confirm this?

You are correct, mostly. SOME early magnum blocks had the previsions for oiling LA style heads. I was lucky enough to find one as I wanted shaft mounted rocker arms. I also got a custom camshaft from Comp Cams that did not have the fuel pump eccentric on the snout but had the oiling holes drilled through the journals (LA heads get oiled from the main, through cam, up the block/head into the rocker mount). Already have been running and confirmed rockers are oiling correctly.

You are correct, mostly. SOME early magnum blocks had the previsions for oiling LA style heads. I was lucky enough to find one as I wanted shaft mounted rocker arms. I also got a custom camshaft from Comp Cams that did not have the fuel pump eccentric on the snout but had the oiling holes drilled through the journals (LA heads get oiled from the main, through cam, up the block/head into the rocker mount). Already have been running and confirmed rockers are oiling correctly.

Excellent. I'm relieved to hear it! :)

Can't wait to hear more about the results!

Old post I know ,but may I ask what year magnum oiled for LA heads?

This block was a 96 and still had the correct oiling provisions. I don't think all 96's had them though.

I'm new to this forum and thought I would share my build. Sorry it's not an A body. '72 Charger with 360/408 magnum with a Paxton Novi 2000. They don't make a bracket for this setup so had to do a lot of custom fabricating. Should be a fun ride once I get it dialed in.

View attachment 1714982967

View attachment 1714982972

View attachment 1714982973

View attachment 1714982974

View attachment 1714982975
Nice lookin car. Blower helps fill the engine compartment. May I ask what compression did you build it at? Outta make that heavy car move!

Looks like it fits that engine bay well! Always laughed at how small a small block looked in those b-body cars.

In "about" 73, I swapped a low miles 340 into my 70 (used to be a 6BBL) RR, and I can tell you there were plenty of 383 cars that wre SUPRIZED!!

Right out of the junkyard!! I was BROKE!!!

_mg_6209cs-jpg.jpg

In "about" 73, I swapped a low miles 340 into my 70 (used to be a 6BBL) RR, and I can tell you there were plenty of 383 cars that wre SUPRIZED!!

Right out of the junkyard!! I was BROKE!!!

View attachment 1715116778
Yea that little screamer probably ate some big blocks even before the blower. I can only imagine now. Nice job!

Yea that little screamer probably ate some big blocks even before the blower. I can only imagine now. Nice job!

.......And it got over 17 mpg. Still have the valve covers and heads. Intake was modded for a temp fitting. Block is gone, don't remember about the crank.

.......And it got over 17 mpg. Still have the valve covers and heads. Intake was modded for a temp fitting. Block is gone, don't remember about the crank.
Did you have to cut up your floor for the 500 trans?

?? This was in 1973, and used the original A833. Had to machine the hole in the 340 bell to fit.
I'm sorry I misunderstood. I thought you did a build with the 500 tranny. My bad. How is the power of the blown smallblock?

I'm sorry I misunderstood. I thought you did a build with the 500 tranny. My bad. How is the power of the blown smallblock?
Sorry I sidetracked you. I just threw in a comment about "back then" and it got you on the wrong track

-
Back