SBP?

-
Status
Not open for further replies.

cuda620

Reaction score
Other than wheel choices, now that sbp ralley wheels are available at Summit, is there any reason to go from sbp to bbp wheels etc?

Only if you want something other than those.
There are a TON of choices of rims and tires both for BBP.

15's are still readily available. Not shooting any opinions down, just asking. I had a couple of mustang gt's with 17's, I live in the country, my daughter and I both got bent wheels and a hard ride. 17's and up are overrated imo.

You get far better handling with a larger rim and smaller profile tire.

I don't care for the smaller wheel studs in the sbp.
Also, the availability of rear drum parts, if you're into that s&m stuff.

15's are still readily available. Not shooting any opinions down, just asking. I had a couple of mustang gt's with 17's, I live in the country, my daughter and I both got bent wheels and a hard ride. 17's and up are overrated imo.

Show me a single, DOT legal street tire for a 15" rim that's wider than 225 and has a tread wear rating lower than 400 with a A A or better compound.

The only thing available wider than 225 for a 15" that isn't a hockey puck is either a drag radial or an autoX/road track tire.

276/60r15. Plus I hate the hard ride of 17's and up. Plus bent rim problems. Rear brakes or drums not a problem. Rock auto, oriellys, advance,etc.

To answer your question, other than wheels and tires there is nothing to gain.Along with stock discs there are many good sm bolt disc brake systems.

276/60r15. Plus I hate the hard ride of 17's and up. Plus bent rim problems. Rear brakes or drums not a problem. Rock auto, oriellys, advance,etc.

Yes, parts have been a problem. At the moment, they're available again. But I say again, because SBP drums were not available new for few years, just a year or two ago. Replacing your SBP rear drums meant buying NOS at stupid prices or gambling on a used set being good enough to use. Sure, you can get them right now, but it's only a matter of time before they're unavailable again. The only thing they fit is Mopar A-bodies, and a ton of people do the BBP conversion. Demand for those parts is dropping, who knows how many more production runs will be done. You can do a search, there were plenty of threads about the only source for SBP rear drums being eBay from guys making a killing on their prices.

And, you still haven't shown me a 275/60/15 that isn't a hockey puck, a drag radial, or an autox/track tire. BFG T/A's and Cooper Cobra's are 400 tread wear, A B compound, all season hockey pucks. They can't compete with real performance tires, and they don't offer real performance tires in DOT legal street tires for a 15" rim wider than about 225.

17's ride hard huh? How come pretty much all new cars use 17 or bigger then? Or maybe the problem is your suspension is incorrectly set up for modern tires. Because usually, that's the issue. I've been running 17's or bigger for years now, no bent or broken rims. And while my car does not ride like a wallowing marshmallow like the OE suspension set up does, it's not any more harsh than most performance oriented new cars.

Found the answer you wanted to hear huh? Why bother asking?

You wanted to know if there are reasons to go from SBP to BBP, you got lots. Tire selection for 14 and 15" rims is minimal at best compared to anything larger, and you have no good performance tires available as real street tires in those sizes. Brake parts are more expensive for SBP brakes and parts have been hard to find in the past. Wheel selection is limited. Brake selection is limited, there are a few kits with SBP available but they too have their issues (larger hub diameters than OE, different lug sizes than OE, different offset, etc). And of course you can rule out any large diameter brake rotors because of rim size, but with those tires it doesn't matter anyway because you don't have the traction to make use of better brakes either.

If you want to stay SBP, knock yourself out, your car after all. But there are plenty of reasons to go BBP. If they don't apply to you because you want to run stock looking rims with hockey puck BFG T/A's and stock brakes, that's fine. But that doesn't mean there aren't still a bunch of very valid reasons to ditch the SBP.

Yes, parts have been a problem. At the moment, they're available again. But I say again, because SBP drums were not available new for few years, just a year or two ago. Replacing your SBP rear drums meant buying NOS at stupid prices or gambling on a used set being good enough to use. Sure, you can get them right now, but it's only a matter of time before they're unavailable again. The only thing they fit is Mopar A-bodies, and a ton of people do the BBP conversion. Demand for those parts is dropping, who knows how many more production runs will be done. You can do a search, there were plenty of threads about the only source for SBP rear drums being eBay from guys making a killing on their prices.

And, you still haven't shown me a 275/60/15 that isn't a hockey puck, a drag radial, or an autox/track tire. BFG T/A's and Cooper Cobra's are 400 tread wear, A B compound, all season hockey pucks. They can't compete with real performance tires, and they don't offer real performance tires in DOT legal street tires for a 15" rim wider than about 225.

17's ride hard huh? How come pretty much all new cars use 17 or bigger then? Or maybe the problem is your suspension is incorrectly set up for modern tires. Because usually, that's the issue. I've been running 17's or bigger for years now, no bent or broken rims. And while my car does not ride like a wallowing marshmallow like the OE suspension set up does, it's not any more harsh than most performance oriented new cars.

You wanted to know if there are reasons to go from SBP to BBP, you got lots. Tire selection for 14 and 15" rims is minimal at best compared to anything larger, and you have no good performance tires available as real street tires in those sizes. Brake parts are more expensive for SBP brakes and parts have been hard to find in the past. Wheel selection is limited. Brake selection is limited, there are a few kits with SBP available but they too have their issues (larger hub diameters than OE, different lug sizes than OE, different offset, etc). And of course you can rule out any large diameter brake rotors because of rim size, but with those tires it doesn't matter anyway because you don't have the traction to make use of better brakes either.

If you want to stay SBP, knock yourself out, your car after all. But there are plenty of reasons to go BBP. If they don't apply to you because you want to run stock looking rims with hockey puck BFG T/A's and stock brakes, that's fine. But that doesn't mean there aren't still a bunch of very valid reasons to ditch the SBP.
Like I thought, no reason... Got 17's on a mustang,and a Honda Civic si, got 18's on a 2014 charger.. Both ride like crap compared to my 67 cuda and don't panic stop much better and it still has drums, although new. So no reason, just opinions. I can drive these cars daily and compare em. Stock suspensions except gasmatics on the Cuda. Hell my 82 Jeep CJ7 rides better, but it's got a lot on suspension mods and 35's. 15's and even 14' are not hard to find in Indiana. Just put 205/70/14's on wife's 65 mustang. No special order, off the shelf. Need I go on? I was just asking. Guess that Ca for ya.

Last edited:
Lol!! Geebuz, pull off the testosterone patch & pour Yourself a cold one! The OP asked for reasons/advantages, they were given, and doesn't seem interested in what they
have to offer,...........so what? I didn't hear "I'm planning on autoxing/hitting Watkins Glen/running in the Silver State Challenge", so without any idea of the ride w/o lookin
at the OP's profile, if He/She is satisfied with marginally performing rollers.....they're still better than OE bias F78's!!!! Not every ride has to be a corner carver, maybe MINE
& Your's have higher expectations, but V/Z/W/Y rollers come with suspension & brake responsibilities not everyone wants to make.
Also, bent rims are a product of profile,casing rigidity,and inflation....and I see plenty of flat-spotted & walloped rims all the time........but the same is true of half of the
PoPo rims I have too!! Lol! Heavy *** steel bends too, even w/60's on them, avoiding chuck-holes and obstacles is the only way to assure a ding free life!:rolleyes:

Oh,btw I didn't personally ask you so why be such a smart ***? Or you born that way?

Like I thought, no reason... Got 17's on a new mustang,and a Honda Civic si, got 18's on a 2014 charger.. Both ride like crap compared to my 67 cuda and don't panic stop much better and it still has drums, although new. So no reason, just opinions. I can drive these cars daily and compare em. Stock suspensions except gasmatics on the Cuda. Hell my 82 Jeep CJ7 rides better, but it's got a lot on suspension mods and 35's
I never heard a tire being described as a "hockey puck". What is meant by that?
Big tire little rim. Use to be used to describe 4x4's running 40 or 44" tires on 15" rims in olden days. His terminology is messed up is all. It happens when one rants blindly...

Well, put a hockey puck up on it's side & roll it, that's the "profile/appearance" of most 60 & 70 series tires that are not much wider than stock.

It means it's a solid chunk of rock hard rubber that slides all over the place. Just like a set of BFG TA's.

I don't care if you want to run crap tires or drive a car that rides like a wet noodle. But if you don't care what the actual advantages of ditching the SBP rims are, then don't ask.

well i have a customer that wants to keep its 14'' steel rims on his build . so kh disc brakes are the best that fit the pattern and rim . its going to be way over horse powered for those 5'' wide rims . so stopping it will be the only challenge here . he even had a dana 60 cut and repatterned to the 4'' bc for it . so i say run what you want , and be willing to pay the costs of it .

It means it's a solid chunk of rock hard rubber that slides all over the place. Just like a set of BFG TA's.

I don't care if you want to run crap tires or drive a car that rides like a wet noodle. But if you don't care what the actual advantages of ditching the SBP rims are, then don't ask.
Hey, some guys like hockey pucks, the same ones who get their bootlegger spinning then start jerkin the wheel right & left so it looks like it was fishtailin' :rofl:

well i have a customer that wants to keep its 14'' steel rims on his build . so kh disc brakes are the best that fit the pattern and rim . its going to be way over horse powered for those 5'' wide rims . so stopping it will be the only challenge here . he even had a dana 60 cut and repatterned to the 4'' bc for it . so i say run what you want , and be willing to pay the costs of it .

That's fine man, if the dude wants to waste all that horsepower by not being able to put it to the ground that's his business. But that's what it is, a waste of power and performance.

You can spin a set of BFG t/a's on 14x5" rims with a solid slant 6, anything more is just a smoke show. I mean, it'll look cool with all those great burnouts, but it won't be fast. If it's just a weekend car that's cool, hopefully nothing jumps out in front of him.

Hey, some guys like hockey pucks, the same ones who get their bootlegger spinning then start jerkin the wheel right & left so it looks like it was fishtailin' :rofl:

Exactly. Awesome way to hide a weak engine. Or waste a good one. Great smoke show, just don't race anything that can actually hook. Spinning ain't winning.

Last edited:
Chocolate or Vanilla? Both are personal opinions and neither of them are wrong IMO :rolleyes:

Again, didn't ask you. You got too much attitude. I probably picked on your type as a kid... Little big man syndrome....

Again, didn't ask you. You got too much attitude. I probably picked on your type as a kid... Little big man syndrome....

You asked a question on an open forum. Which means, you basically asked everyone on the entire internet because anyone can see your post. And any of the 46,986 members on this forum can respond. Heck, someone could google "SBP?", see this post, and join this forum just to comment on it. So, yes, you did ask me. And everyone else on this forum, and anyone that might some day stumble on this post. Not just people that agree with you and will pat you on the back for sticking with SBP wheels. Even the factory decided they weren't worth keeping and phased them out over 40 years ago. The factory also didn't think SBP was strong enough for the B, E, and C-bodies, which is why they all got the BBP. SBP was just a cost cutting measure for the A-body line that didn't pan out. Keep them if you want.

I also don't see how admitting to being a childhood bully that picked on kids raises your stock any. Bullies are just insecure cowards seeking approval for their own shortcomings by lashing out at others. Kinda sad really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back