Scammers

-

cuda67man

Reaction score
Don't know if there's a spot on this sight to list scammers or if anyone wants to know of any but I was just tried to be scammed by a new member on here that sent me other members pictures of parts and tried to get money from me.

Thanx I sent toolmammike same posting. I hope it helps someone else from getting taken

Report it as soon as you see it. I wouldn't do business with brand new members with no history here. If someone new sends you a PM and they have no post count there's a good chance it's a scammer.

Benjay44. I went back to post and hit report as you stated and wrote reason

that was the guy that tried to get me to call his female friend about a deck lid that i am looking for. i reported it on tuesday to toolmanmike.

They prey on parts wanted ads here, on other sites, especially bad on Facebook too
Yes. It has been keeping us busy trying to keep on top of it. We can deal with them quickly if they are reported.

What is the exact MO of the scam? Do they see you looked at something then PM you etc?
I believe so. They see you need a *** and thy will have one for you, usually through a 3rd. party like their relative or the like. They usually have no post count.

Google "FABO parts wanted" and see what you see. Right there on top. One click and you're here.

I totally agree with everything above. However, it is possible for an honest person to be new to the forum and have something good to sell. I know red lights start flashing when people talk about a third party has the part. So what is the answer? Is there a rule for how long you have to be a member (or how many posts) before you can sell items? And even if that rule did exist, scammers could easily join and do their time with polite posts and then start scamming. I guess we just have to be careful.

I totally agree with everything above. However, it is possible for an honest person to be new to the forum and have something good to sell. I know red lights start flashing when people talk about a third party has the part. So what is the answer? Is there a rule for how long you have to be a member (or how many posts) before you can sell items? And even if that rule did exist, scammers could easily join and do their time with polite posts and then start scamming. I guess we just have to be careful.

Most scammers are using bots and scripts. Lots of forums require a certain number of posts before they can send PMs for this reason. Most scam accounts will post gibberish or posts that just read weird (Google translate).

Not sure if a certain number of posts are required here or not before people can PM. But it ain't hard to post a half dozen times in an intro thread or use an intro as a way to say "just joined to get ahold of a member with a want ad".

Impossible to stop every scammer, but the more friction the fewer will succeed. Plus, our mods can't be online 24/7/365! They work hard enough in general discussion.

I wish there was a rule. Something to be implemented may be. A spammer wouldn't hang around and talk Mopars for 20-50 posts before trying to screw a member I don't think. We have discussed it before.

-
Back