Scarebird disc conversion

-

Scarebird

Disc Brake Guy
Reaction score
I thought we should say hello and explain our setup. As Dakota Don had mentioned in another post, he used our setup with no ill effect. We have improved it this summer - by using a different rotor (10") and the 1990 Celebrity caliper we now can clear the stock dog dish rims. Sometimes the calipers require very light non-structural clearance grinding. The caliper now both (9 and 10") mount to the front for clearance and excellent hose routing.

We do reuse the stock drum hubs. We can offer custom front hubs for both 9 and 10 inch in 4.5" bolt pattern.

VAL assy.JPG

Welcome to FABO Scarebird! A big chunk of us are well aware of your products and look forward to possibly hearing some more tech talk from you folks.

Can you figure out if a Centerline or Weld Pro Star 15 x 3.5 front runner will mount without using a spacer. Either a 4.5" or 4" bolt circle. Should be the same.

If this is an alternative to not widening the track to std BBP width, I might be game for a set up like this.

interesting I wish I hadn't already gone through the trouble of converting by finding factory parts. It looks like you have a decent product. For thouse of us who aren't as familiar with your products, What kind of stopping power does your setup offer compared to stock?

I thought we should say hello and explain our setup. As Dakota Don had mentioned in another post, he used our setup with no ill effect. We have improved it this summer - by using a different rotor (10") and the 1990 Celebrity caliper we now can clear the stock dog dish rims. Sometimes the calipers require very light non-structural clearance grinding. The caliper now both (9 and 10") mount to the front for clearance and excellent hose routing.

We do reuse the stock drum hubs. We can offer custom front hubs for both 9 and 10 inch in 4.5" bolt pattern.

Perhaps in the above picture you could paint the components different colors to make it easier to determine what is what?

Can you figure out if a Centerline or Weld Pro Star 15 x 3.5 front runner will mount without using a spacer. Either a 4.5" or 4" bolt circle. Should be the same.

If this is an alternative to not widening the track to std BBP width, I might be game for a set up like this.

Not sure, the only Centerline we have laying around is a 15 x 7" If you took a Toyota Previa rotor (91-94 front disc w/rear drum) and mock the Celebrity caliper on it it should give an idea if it will clear.

interesting I wish I hadn't already gone through the trouble of converting by finding factory parts. It looks like you have a decent product. For thouse of us who aren't as familiar with your products, What kind of stopping power does your setup offer compared to stock?

Should be comparable, slightly less than stock. The KH setup, while problematic does work well, but of course requires the Rally rim - ours works with stock rims.

So this setup works with factory 14" drum brake steel wheels? How about 13" wheels?

That would be great.

Forgive me for saying one thing bad about Scarebird brakes.
Our cars are average 35 years old. Most any replacement part is available today at some price. I have to wonder if replacement Celebrity calipers and pads will be available for many years to come.

The KH setup, while problematic does work well, but of course requires the Rally rim - ours works with stock rims.

Um... incorrect. My '72 Swinger has factory KH brakes and the original 14" steel wheels, and my '67 Dart GT has retrofitted KH brakes and uses the same stock 14" wheels. Guess you're referring to the 13" steelies not fitting with KH disks?

Um... incorrect. My '72 Swinger has factory KH brakes and the original 14" steel wheels, and my '67 Dart GT has retrofitted KH brakes and uses the same stock 14" wheels. Guess you're referring to the 13" steelies not fitting with KH disks?

vynn, let us know if you are running 14x4.5s or 14x5.5s steelies on both cars.

This is what we have been told - perhaps the rims you used orig. are the 5-1/2" wide version? (Hollander 717) as opposed to the 4-1/2" version (Hollander 716)?

and to answer an earlier query, GM used this caliper from mid 80's to mid 90's on a couple million cars - I do not see this drying up any time soon... If we found an affordable source (NAPA, Autozone) for the OEM calipers and any source for the rotors we would have doped out a way to use them instead...

Not sure, the only Centerline we have laying around is a 15 x 7" If you took a Toyota Previa rotor (91-94 front disc w/rear drum) and mock the Celebrity caliper on it it should give an idea if it will clear.

So how much does R&D work pay these days? :-D

There must be a front runner wheel in the neighborhood you could use to check out fitment.

Thanks Scarebird. You've pretty much answered how someone can put disc brakes on a 38 year old car at a reasonable price not to mention with little if any aggravation.
This setup won't be for everybody but then that's what makes this hobby (Life) so great. Someone else may come up with a better idea. In the meantime I can see your setup going on at least one 71 Demon and possibly another one in the near future.
Thanks again:cheers:

so how do you replace a K/H disc brake system with the scarebird system?

I have to order K/H rotors off of ebay and picked up the last 2 calipers available at the time in my province.

Just curious for when the time comes for another brake job...8)

I think we should be greatful to everyone still making parts for our mopars, thanks scarebird.

Stupidly enough, all 3 manufacturers made drum brake steel wheels and disc brake steel wheels. You might have disc brake ones on both cars. I for one know that doing a KH style conversion required the disc wheels on a factory drum brake 67 cuda I did. They look pretty much the same but there is a slight difference for caliper clearance.

I am very happy with my set up, i know its not for everyone..

I Had brand new 14 in tires and nice rally wheels 5x4, I was due for brakes. Then i found scarebird..I was also looking at a used dodge OEM disc brake set up..

25o for everything, but i would have had to rebuild my front end, new rotors,calipers rear end or axels, wheels and new tires. so for les $$$ and work i went with the scarebird brackets, bought all new stuff and 3-4 hrs later i was taking it for a test drive, the only problem i had was the A-1 cadone disc MC didnt have a redisule valve for my rear drums.. once i added that valve i have a full traveling pedal, Its been over a yr and the system has been great..not one problem. I love my 14 in rallys wheels and tires.. now i just need to add a power brake booster. this is a great simple non expensive way to get disc brakes using stock 14 in wheels. and they are soooooooooo much better then the drums anyday..I drive the old dart everyday rain or shine.

I did buy slotted rotors (waste) and ceraic pads, great no dust at all.

thanks again Scarbird

Not to sound negative but I saw this type of conversion topic on another board and it was suggested that folks stay away from them..their concern was that the adapter plates are commonly cut out of regular mild steel plate and have no heat treatment whatsoever. The steel is dead soft and will wear/deform easily..and several folks have had catastrophic failures..

If this company has otherwise, then I appologize for bringing this up.

Grassy

I researched Scarebird for a while before I decided on my disc conversion. I went with the Scarebird with no regrets. For the money it is a great set up. From what I read, people who have the conversion love it, the people that commented who didn't have it, said it was cheap and woundn't have it. Just my observation.

I am very interested in using your conversion on my 66 barracuda as are several friends (70 dart & 67 Le Mons) but was unable to find an address or phone# on your web site to place an order (USPO money order as I dont use pay pal) thanks in advance for any help in this regard and look forward to doing business with you Will

This is a bit more serious that a bunch of guys standing on the sidelines dumping on a product because it is new...anything that makes my kid's car safer and is less expensive and easier to install, I am all for it but you didn't answer my question..

The question is - are the adapter plates cut out of regular mild steel plate ?

Simple question and simple to answer because you have installed them.

Perhaps Scarebird can answer since I suspect that he is following this thread..

Ian.

-
Back