SCAT OR EAGLE RODS.....WHICH IS BETTER?? Any thoughts???

-

V24x2

Reaction score
They are priced almost the same but just looking for opinions on which IS THEE BETTER ROD of the two???? Any/all thoughts are much appreciated!!! Thankyou!

9 different people will give you 9 different answers. Will swear they can rev there motor to 8700 rpm with the rods they suggested. Good luck on this topic. :poke:

oh great!!! lol. hoping for some simple answers....one or the other! How about you 72Dart6pack......give me your best shot.....what's your answer? Scat or Eagle rods??

I think of read it on here a while back, scat rods have better QC when being made. Scat have the 7/16 arp bolts while eagle have the smaller type, depends on the HP range your trying to achieve I suppose. I forgot to mention I beams or H ?

If we are talking about I beam rods.....Scats are made out of better material...4340 steel....Eagle SIR rods are made out of 5140 grade steel....If I was cranking 8700 rpn all day,,,i would use the scat rod....

waiting on 8 more responses,,...

I think either one would be fine, what power are you trying to make?

Just have a competent machine shop check whichever you get

Wouldn't use them on any engine above 500 h.p.
Exactly!
Both companies have low grade and high grade rods. Go with the high grade rods and feel safe with them.

I have been reading about both companies high grade rods and they both seem fine within there application.

Low low grade Eagles have a bad rep. with the most reported failures being read. That doesn't exempt anybody else's rods on any level! Don't exceed the hp level limits listed on the rods.
Check overall diamentions. See if one fits better than the other for what your doing.

I beam.....im just doing a modified rebuild and I don't see any hp gains of 500+! nowadays to recondition my rods will cost me $150......new rods $250-300.! crank regrind is 150.....new cast crank....$300/350.!!! it's a 1970 340 thats currently 100% stock.....considering a cast new crank but the stock forged unit is fine. I'm kinda stumped on that decision too!

My engine builder buddy has been having good luck with Molnars:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Can't beat the Scat I-Beams for value and strength. They are lighter than stock too. 70arr covered the materials. But it depends on what your doing too.

If we are talking about I beam rods.....Scats are made out of better material...4340 steel....Eagle SIR rods are made out of 5140 grade steel....If I was cranking 8700 rpn all day,,,i would use the scat rod....

waiting on 8 more responses,,...
I agree with this ^^^......7 more responses...lol.

Am I the 9'th opinion yet? Some comparison pictures to consider. The rod on the left is an Eagle small block chevy (547.1 grams and a 5.7 length), the rod on the right is an Eagle small Mopar (593.1 grams and a 6.123 length). My observation is that these are molded from the same die, look at the pin end (just move the pin up further), extra unneeded weight in an area that would be of no use. Now you are working with a 340, a S/P L2316F30 tips the scale at a whopping 890 grams with pin, and in comparison this rod used in a SBC application on average could have a piston combo weighing in at 680 grams. I don't think this should be a contender. Go Scat or Molnars.
100_1250.JPG

How many foundries in China do you think make connecting rods.....a few?....eagle rods 6am to noon...scat rods noon to 6 pm ...procomp midnight to 6 am...lol

I beam.....im just doing a modified rebuild and I don't see any hp gains of 500+! nowadays to recondition my rods will cost me $150......new rods $250-300.! crank regrind is 150.....new cast crank....$300/350.!!! it's a 1970 340 thats currently 100% stock.....considering a cast new crank but the stock forged unit is fine. I'm kinda stumped on that decision too!

Is that new cast crank a 340 crank or stroker. If it's new cast 340, you should regrind original and save $150-$200 and have a forged crank with the same stroke.

If $150-$200 more for cast stroker crank, go stroker. Better value for $/HP, $/TQ and $/streetability.

How many foundries in China do you think make connecting rods.....a few?....eagle rods 6am to noon...scat rods noon to 6 pm ...procomp midnight to 6 am...lol

That is exactly what happens. I've also been told if they have a run of rods that aren't cosmetically perfect, they set them aside and they go to Pro Comp and such.

I'm running a set of the blems in my engine now. I did a bit of touch up on them and sized them and put them in.

IIRC they were $249.00 to my door. If you laid them next to a different brand you'd be hard pressed to know one from the other.

-
Back