Scat Pack 4 piston Brembo calipers and rotors

-

DionR

Reaction score
Fell down a rabbit hole and might have climbed out finally.

20230316_174255.jpg

20230316_174530.jpg

Years ago I built a brake swap kit for myself using ’98 Mustang Cobra rotors, C5 Vette calipers and a simple flat plate to bolt it all up to a stock disk brake spindle. Been on the car for several years now and seems to work well even with the manual brakes and large MC. But…there are some things I don’t like about it and I’ve since owned and sold a 2015 Challenger and have lusted after a Scat Pack for some time now.

About a year ago I played with the idea of swapping Scat Pack calipers onto the car, but with either the same 13” rotors I am running now or maybe 14” GT500 rotors. In both cases, the size of the caliper and the spacing of the mounting bolts made it look near impossible to make work.

Capture1.JPG

But for some reason around the end of last year I tinkered with it again and discovered that with a 14.2” Scat Pack rotor, it just might work. At that time, I was working with a traced shape from an image of a caliper off RockAuto so I order a single caliper and a set of pads so I could take actual measurements. The theory being that if my sketched layout was way off, it would be easier to return one caliper rather than 2 calipers and 2 rotors. Order enough to validate the theory but not enough to waste too much money if it was wrong.

After taking some measurements off the actual caliper, it looked like it just might work. After some full scale cardstock templates I moved to a wood mockup and crashed hard. The layout and the theory of the swap wasn’t the issue, it was trying to accurately drill the holes in some wood blocks and cutting them to shape. It might have been fine if the glue I used to stick my paper template to the wood hadn’t swelled the paper and moved hole locations by about 1/8”. At that point, I decided to jump into an idea I had toyed with for awhile and bought a 3D printer. So much better!

One of my criteria was I wanted something that didn’t require a machine shop to build it and I wanted to avoid the below results.

failed-bracket-2-jpg.jpg

I think the above failure was partly due to the amount of cantilever on the plate. And when my new layout with the actual caliper showed that the distance from the mounting plane to the outside of the spindle was just under 1/4" (later revised to just under 5/16”) I knew I was going to have to use the rear surface of the spindle much like the bracket above did.

This resulted in a multi-plate setup that uses a 1/4" plate on the front of the spindle and a 3/8” plate on the back of the spindle and either plates or tubes to fill in between. This (in my mind) gives plenty of meat to the overall bracket but also some triangulation, so the caliper isn’t cantilevered off the main plate. Plus the plates are all just flat plates and can be laser cut from SendCutSend.com.

20230316_174320.jpg

Truth be told, I wanted a 1/2" plate on the back, but since I am using the threaded holes for the stock caliper mount and a nut on the outside plate, I need a bolt both long enough to allow for the nut and enough thread length that I could tighten it down on the back plate. The standard thread length for a partially threaded 1/2x20 bolt is 1.5” and I needed a thread length of 1.625” so it had to a be a full thread bolt. Best I could find was some 2” long full thread bolts from McMaster-Carr, resulting in the decision to use a 3/8” rear plate as that makes the bolt long enough to get the nut on with full thread engagement. The 1/2" plate would have left the bolt short and I couldn’t find a grade 8 bolt over 2” long that was full thread. Overall, there is 5/8” of plate supporting the caliper so I think it ok. Worse case, I could drill the treads out of the spindle and use a partial thread 2.25” long bolt with a 1/2" plate, but at that point there wouldn’t be any going back.

The plate spacers add some complexity too. I need 7/8” total for the spacer thicknesses, but SendCutSend only cuts up to 1/2 plates. Add that the tolerance on a 1/2" and 3/8” plate could add up to potentially being too tall or too short by over 1/16”. So, my current idea is to get two 1/4" spacers and two 3/16” spacers as the tolerance on those thicknesses adds up to much less. But still not perfect.

The other option is some 1” x .188 wall DOM tube. The drawbacks are that now you need a machine shop to accurately cut them to length and keep them true, and it doesn’t give as much surface area to support the two plates. And that tube size is as economical as I could find ($22 at MetalDepot.com for 8”) and still fit. The upper tube gets pretty close to the spindle and could still require some clearancing on the spindle depending on the shape of the spindle forging so a bigger tube would be hard to make fit. But it would be easier to accurately match the thickness of the spindle, plus you could weld the tubes to one of the plates making assembly easier.

20230316_175752.jpg

The last hiccup was figuring out how to get the rotor centered on the hub. The stock hub has a pilot that is something like 2.82” OD and the Scat Pack hub has a pilot of 2.85”. Not a lot of difference between the two, but enough that the rotor moved around some, but also not enough to just get a centering ring made up. There is a fairly large chamfer on the back of the SP rotor and I thought maybe that could be used, but the one quote I got for machining one was over $300 each, or I could get it 3D printed in metal for about $200 each. Nope not an option for me. Add that I doubt the chamfer has a tight tolerance on it making it less than useful unless I made them to a specific set of rotors.

In the end, I think I am going to probably redneck it and slip a feeler gauge of the correct thickness between the rotor and the hub and just leave it there. Wrap it around the hub and slip it in. The hub is close to 9” in diameter so it might take two of them on each hub, but a couple of bucks for 4 sets of feeler gauges has to be cheaper than $400 in printed metal parts that might or might not work depending on how much attention the rotor manufacturer pays to the process of adding the chamfer.

Another (and maybe better) option would be ARP 100-7707 wheel studs. These have a shoulder that stands above the face of the hub flange and would probably do a great job of filling in the holes in the rotor and centering things up. One potential issue is the published specs that say the rotor has a 115mm bolt circle while the hub is a 4.5” bolt circle, but I know of one guy that did exactly this and it worked great for him. The other issue is that I already have 3” wheel studs in the hubs I am running right now and would hate to spend another $200 on different studs if I can make them work.

On a side note, I printed up some bushing to take up the difference between the hole in the rotor and the 1/2" stud in the hub to get the rotor centered for mocking this up. Even though the bushings had a consistent wall thickness all five dropped into the holes fine and the rotor slides off and on happily. This suggests that used OEM rotor I am using for mockup has a 4.5”/114.3mm bolt pattern, despite the published data that it should be 115mm.

I bought the one caliper for $128.79 (which includes the core charge) plus like $17 in shipping. The new rotors I am looking at are just over $50 each with shipping being close to $30 (for both). The plates for both sides, with a black zinc finish, were $120 or so last I checked. So around $550 plus whatever the pads cost? Oh, and brake hoses haven’t been worked out.

So, there you have it. 14.2” rotors and Brembo 4 piston calipers on stock spindles.

20230316_174908.jpg

20230316_175141.jpg

20230316_175412.jpg

20230316_174709.jpg

And yes, the adapter plate clears a lower ball joint.

20230309_211244.jpg

That looks great!!!

I believe you’re overthinking the centering of the rotor. The margin may be a bit more than you find on modern production cars, but none of those floating rotors amount to even a loose slip fit on the hub.

Deciding one weekend to buckle down and figure out CAD was the best thing I ever did! Stuff like this with a 3d printer makes anything possible. I just finished up a Hydroboost adapter for my dart using CAD, 3d printed test parts and SendCutSend for the flat parts then Tig welded it all up. Good stuff here man.

Deciding one weekend to buckle down and figure out CAD was the best thing I ever did! Stuff like this with a 3d printer makes anything possible.

I don't know how anyone could do this stuff without CAD. Obviously people do, but I wouldn't want to.

Helps that I went to school to be a drafter, been using CAD since '91.

The 3D printer was a game changer for me though.

I just finished up a Hydroboost adapter for my dart using CAD, 3d printed test parts and SendCutSend for the flat parts then Tig welded it all up.

Nice! Hadn't even thought about looking into hydroboost. But I did move to power steering last winter so it is now an option.

Good stuff here man.

Thanks!

Fell down a rabbit hole and might have climbed out finally.

View attachment 1716066164

View attachment 1716066165

Years ago I built a brake swap kit for myself using ’98 Mustang Cobra rotors, C5 Vette calipers and a simple flat plate to bolt it all up to a stock disk brake spindle. Been on the car for several years now and seems to work well even with the manual brakes and large MC. But…there are some things I don’t like about it and I’ve since owned and sold a 2015 Challenger and have lusted after a Scat Pack for some time now.

About a year ago I played with the idea of swapping Scat Pack calipers onto the car, but with either the same 13” rotors I am running now or maybe 14” GT500 rotors. In both cases, the size of the caliper and the spacing of the mounting bolts made it look near impossible to make work.

View attachment 1716066167

But for some reason around the end of last year I tinkered with it again and discovered that with a 14.2” Scat Pack rotor, it just might work. At that time, I was working with a traced shape from an image of a caliper off RockAuto so I order a single caliper and a set of pads so I could take actual measurements. The theory being that if my sketched layout was way off, it would be easier to return one caliper rather than 2 calipers and 2 rotors. Order enough to validate the theory but not enough to waste too much money if it was wrong.

After taking some measurements off the actual caliper, it looked like it just might work. After some full scale cardstock templates I moved to a wood mockup and crashed hard. The layout and the theory of the swap wasn’t the issue, it was trying to accurately drill the holes in some wood blocks and cutting them to shape. It might have been fine if the glue I used to stick my paper template to the wood hadn’t swelled the paper and moved hole locations by about 1/8”. At that point, I decided to jump into an idea I had toyed with for awhile and bought a 3D printer. So much better!

One of my criteria was I wanted something that didn’t require a machine shop to build it and I wanted to avoid the below results.

View attachment 1716066181

I think the above failure was partly due to the amount of cantilever on the plate. And when my new layout with the actual caliper showed that the distance from the mounting plane to the outside of the spindle was just under 1/4" (later revised to just under 5/16”) I knew I was going to have to use the rear surface of the spindle much like the bracket above did.

This resulted in a multi-plate setup that uses a 1/4" plate on the front of the spindle and a 3/8” plate on the back of the spindle and either plates or tubes to fill in between. This (in my mind) gives plenty of meat to the overall bracket but also some triangulation, so the caliper isn’t cantilevered off the main plate. Plus the plates are all just flat plates and can be laser cut from SendCutSend.com.

View attachment 1716066168

Truth be told, I wanted a 1/2" plate on the back, but since I am using the threaded holes for the stock caliper mount and a nut on the outside plate, I need a bolt both long enough to allow for the nut and enough thread length that I could tighten it down on the back plate. The standard thread length for a partially threaded 1/2x20 bolt is 1.5” and I needed a thread length of 1.625” so it had to a be a full thread bolt. Best I could find was some 2” long full thread bolts from McMaster-Carr, resulting in the decision to use a 3/8” rear plate as that makes the bolt long enough to get the nut on with full thread engagement. The 1/2" plate would have left the bolt short and I couldn’t find a grade 8 bolt over 2” long that was full thread. Overall, there is 5/8” of plate supporting the caliper so I think it ok. Worse case, I could drill the treads out of the spindle and use a partial thread 2.25” long bolt with a 1/2" plate, but at that point there wouldn’t be any going back.

The plate spacers add some complexity too. I need 7/8” total for the spacer thicknesses, but SendCutSend only cuts up to 1/2 plates. Add that the tolerance on a 1/2" and 3/8” plate could add up to potentially being too tall or too short by over 1/16”. So, my current idea is to get two 1/4" spacers and two 3/16” spacers as the tolerance on those thicknesses adds up to much less. But still not perfect.

The other option is some 1” x .188 wall DOM tube. The drawbacks are that now you need a machine shop to accurately cut them to length and keep them true, and it doesn’t give as much surface area to support the two plates. And that tube size is as economical as I could find ($22 at MetalDepot.com for 8”) and still fit. The upper tube gets pretty close to the spindle and could still require some clearancing on the spindle depending on the shape of the spindle forging so a bigger tube would be hard to make fit. But it would be easier to accurately match the thickness of the spindle, plus you could weld the tubes to one of the plates making assembly easier.

View attachment 1716066169

The last hiccup was figuring out how to get the rotor centered on the hub. The stock hub has a pilot that is something like 2.82” OD and the Scat Pack hub has a pilot of 2.85”. Not a lot of difference between the two, but enough that the rotor moved around some, but also not enough to just get a centering ring made up. There is a fairly large chamfer on the back of the SP rotor and I thought maybe that could be used, but the one quote I got for machining one was over $300 each, or I could get it 3D printed in metal for about $200 each. Nope not an option for me. Add that I doubt the chamfer has a tight tolerance on it making it less than useful unless I made them to a specific set of rotors.

In the end, I think I am going to probably redneck it and slip a feeler gauge of the correct thickness between the rotor and the hub and just leave it there. Wrap it around the hub and slip it in. The hub is close to 9” in diameter so it might take two of them on each hub, but a couple of bucks for 4 sets of feeler gauges has to be cheaper than $400 in printed metal parts that might or might not work depending on how much attention the rotor manufacturer pays to the process of adding the chamfer.

Another (and maybe better) option would be ARP 100-7707 wheel studs. These have a shoulder that stands above the face of the hub flange and would probably do a great job of filling in the holes in the rotor and centering things up. One potential issue is the published specs that say the rotor has a 115mm bolt circle while the hub is a 4.5” bolt circle, but I know of one guy that did exactly this and it worked great for him. The other issue is that I already have 3” wheel studs in the hubs I am running right now and would hate to spend another $200 on different studs if I can make them work.

On a side note, I printed up some bushing to take up the difference between the hole in the rotor and the 1/2" stud in the hub to get the rotor centered for mocking this up. Even though the bushings had a consistent wall thickness all five dropped into the holes fine and the rotor slides off and on happily. This suggests that used OEM rotor I am using for mockup has a 4.5”/114.3mm bolt pattern, despite the published data that it should be 115mm.

I bought the one caliper for $128.79 (which includes the core charge) plus like $17 in shipping. The new rotors I am looking at are just over $50 each with shipping being close to $30 (for both). The plates for both sides, with a black zinc finish, were $120 or so last I checked. So around $550 plus whatever the pads cost? Oh, and brake hoses haven’t been worked out.

So, there you have it. 14.2” rotors and Brembo 4 piston calipers on stock spindles.

View attachment 1716066175

View attachment 1716066176

View attachment 1716066178

View attachment 1716066179

And yes, the adapter plate clears a lower ball joint.

View attachment 1716066180
What are you using for your hub? Is it a turned down factory rotor?

What are you using for your hub? Is it a turned down factory rotor?

Yep. Just took a factory rotor and used a hack saw to cut the rotor off. I have another set on the car and didn’t want to pull one off so just made another.

I don't have the computer skills to learn CAD... I get frustrated enough just trying to edit photos...

But I have a lathe & a mill & I can build pretty much anything... I've repaired lots of industrial machinery that was designed in CAD, machined by CNC machines, I look at the failures, design the fixes, & make the parts.... Y'all can keep your CAD & 3D printers...

I don't have the computer skills to learn CAD... I get frustrated enough just trying to edit photos...

But I have a lathe & a mill & I can build pretty much anything... I've repaired lots of industrial machinery that was designed in CAD, machined by CNC machines, I look at the failures, design the fixes, & make the parts.... Y'all can keep your CAD & 3D printers...

I hate photo editing...no thank you.

Love to have a mill and a lathe, would remove some self imposed restrictions on stuff like this. Maybe someday.

I hate photo editing...no thank you.

Love to have a mill and a lathe, would remove some self imposed restrictions on stuff like this. Maybe someday.
Start watching Craigslist/FB Market place.... I got my mill off CL for $1000... A Lawyer got it from a client who was headed to jail... The lawyer had planned to build stuff but since he didn't have 3ph power it never got used... Stored it for 30 years... Had an 8" Kurt vise, power feeds on all three axis & a DRO plus a little tooling....

I was first to respond and luckily he held it for me cause he was flooded with calls, plus he was in LA & I'm in central Ca so I had to make arraignments to go get it..

My first lathe had electrical problems and the guy who owned it was gonna scrap it... I gave him $100 and took it back to my shop... It was running later the same day....

My big lathe came out of a plant where I work occasionally, twenty years old, rarely used, just taking up space, they were concerned about someone getting hurt so they were gonna scrap it... Same lathe is still sold today, 29K... I paid $1500....

If you want equipment it's out there you just gotta jump... Maybe you think you can't afford it.. Well IMO you can't afford not to buy it...

@DionR what material stock was the failed bracket made from?

6061-T6

To be clear, that wasn't my bracket. I just remember the thread and how I didn't like how far the caliper was cantilevered off the bracket and wanted something that was more "in-line".

Here's the thread I grabbed the image from:

Funny thing is (to me) on that broken bracket, based on the pictures in the thread, I bet he could have used a 1/2" to 5/8" plate on the front of the spindle and had a much simpler and stronger bracket. Bolting it to the back of the spindle is what forced the huge offset and (in my opinion) a weak mount.

My current C5 caliper setup is bolted to front of the spindle and I see lots of BBK's using that surface as well. I thought I was going to be able to do the same with the SP calipers but the offset just didn't leave room for a thick enough plate for me to be comfortable with it.

In the end, the GT500 caliper and rotor would probably be the easier setup when compared to the SP calipers I used. The GT500 rotor is shallower so the caliper is further out from the spindle and should allow for a single simple plate to be bolted to the front of the spindle. And the GT500 caliper mounting bolts are further apart making it easier to fit them around the bracket to spindle bolts. Plus the calipers are only like $10 more on RockAuto. Biggest drawback that I can see is the shallower rotor means the caliper protrudes further out and would make wheels harder to source. Not that my setup will be a slam dunk, just a little easier.

I've found 2 piece rotors for the Scat Packs, for about $1300 for the pair (I think). And the later SP's have a monoblock caliper that looks to be the same as what came on the 2018 Demon. So there are improvements possible. But I would bet a GT500 2 piece rotor would be easier to source.

In theory, the setup I have might allow for the 15.4 or 15.7 rotor with 6 piston caliper HC setup to bolt on. But I have no doubt it would require at least 19" wheels if not 20" and I'm not interested in going there.

Funny thing is (to me) on that broken bracket, based on the pictures in the thread, I bet he could have used a 1/2" to 5/8" plate on the front of the spindle and had a much simpler and stronger bracket. Bolting it to the back of the spindle is what forced the huge offset and (in my opinion) a weak mount.

My current C5 caliper setup is bolted to front of the spindle and I see lots of BBK's using that surface as well. I thought I was going to be able to do the same with the SP calipers but the offset just didn't leave room for a thick enough plate for me to be comfortable with it.

In the end, the GT500 caliper and rotor would probably be the easier setup when compared to the SP calipers I used. The GT500 rotor is shallower so the caliper is further out from the spindle and should allow for a single simple plate to be bolted to the front of the spindle. And the GT500 caliper mounting bolts are further apart making it easier to fit them around the bracket to spindle bolts. Plus the calipers are only like $10 more on RockAuto. Biggest drawback that I can see is the shallower rotor means the caliper protrudes further out and would make wheels harder to source. Not that my setup will be a slam dunk, just a little easier.

I've found 2 piece rotors for the Scat Packs, for about $1300 for the pair (I think). And the later SP's have a monoblock caliper that looks to be the same as what came on the 2018 Demon. So there are improvements possible. But I would bet a GT500 2 piece rotor would be easier to source.

In theory, the setup I have might allow for the 15.4 or 15.7 rotor with 6 piston caliper HC setup to bolt on. But I have no doubt it would require at least 19" wheels if not 20" and I'm not interested in going there.

There's a shop online that makes caliper brackets for the GT500 calipers already, Invincible Extremes Musclecars on FB.

The AutoX Taxi used his stuff for their 14" GT500 brake set up

Screenshot 2023-03-21 at 11.33.28 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-03-21 at 11.35.19 AM.png

I've seen his stuff before, but not many details. Seems like uses the drum brake spindle?

Kind of forgot about his stuff. Thanks!

I think he has options for both drum and disk spindles. All he supplies is the caliper bracket, they're set up for turned down original rotor hubs. So if they worked off drum brake spindles it would have to be the 73+ version with the larger bearings.

I think he has options for both drum and disk spindles. All he supplies is the caliper bracket, they're set up for turned down original rotor hubs. So if they worked off drum brake spindles it would have to be the 73+ version with the larger bearings.

To be clear, not opposed to drum spindles, have a big bearing set under the bench for "just in case". Just didn't remember what all he offers.

@DionR are you planning on selling these kits, or the plans to have them cut out by shipcutship?

I have no plans to market or sell anything. Not opposed to sharing the files, but don't like the idea of making a business out of it.

And I haven't bolted them on the car yet either. I wanted to find a wheel that would work and that took some time and summer projects have gotten in the way some. Add that I don't have the funds to buy the 3 other wheels and it means I haven't gotten past ordering the plates and remaining caliper and new rotors.

I will add that in the end I would do the caliper mount plates without the plating SendCutSend offers. The cutting process leaves a sharp point where the exterior cut starts and ends. They didn't dress it down and if I do it now I will have to cover that area again. So, it makes more sense to order them bare, dress them yourself and then paint or get them coated. This will save some money, not really sure how much but I would guess $20 or more. Plus, there was a several day delay while I waited for them to go through the plating process.

20230401_102819.jpg

Something else that still needing to be scienced out is if the multiple spacer plates work or if it would be better to get some tubes cut to length on a lathe instead. If so, I would have them tacked to one of the main plates, further removing the option to have the plates coated by SendCutSend. I could even see the multiple plates being tacked together and then tacked to one of the main plates, just to remove the fiddling required to get all the plates stacked up. Don't think it will be difficult, just nicer to have them all as a solid piece.

I did confirm that this setup would work with an 18x9 +24mm FR500 wheel from American Muscle. That was a bit of a fiasco as their website shows the wheel as a +30mm offset, while the wheel is clearly stamped 24mm. So I ended up sending it back and buying an 18x9 +35mm forgestar F14 open box wheel from AM.

Either way, there was plenty of room for the caliper with the FR500 wheel.

20230422_180702.jpg

To be clear, I wasn't able to set the wheel on the spindle with the rotor and caliper bolted to it. The FR500 wheel has a lip at the cap that wouldn't allow for the snout of the hub to slide through. So this picture is just the rotor and caliper sitting on the wheel.

Nice thing about the +35mm F14 wheel is it bolts on without modifications. They even sell a raised center cap that might clear the dust cap. I say might because I submitted a question on forgestar's website months ago asking how tall their raised cap is and have yet to hear anything back. So all I know for sure is it raised.

@DionR are you planning on selling these kits, or the plans to have them cut out by shipcutship?

Just checked and I could re-order the plates without plating for $70.46 before tax. That's almost $45 cheaper than with the plating.

You could also do just the main support plates and figure out spacers on your own. That would be $39.86 before tax.

I think shipping is free, but probably best to assume you would have to add some for shipping.

I won’t really be ready for any of this stuff for at least another year, but I’ll definitely contact you when I get closer.
I’ve got a 75 Scamp that needs fenders and quarters, so my plan is redrill the front hubs and 8.8 axles to 5x115 (could probably get by with the 5x4.5) add flares and run Hellcat widebody wheels on it.

5777F1D8-9C1F-453F-A4E5-393897DEB2A0.jpeg

60720C8B-2A66-428B-ACF8-D3F4169B5F85.jpeg

I won’t really be ready for any of this stuff for at least another year, but I’ll definitely contact you when I get closer.
I’ve got a 75 Scamp that needs fenders and quarters, so my plan is redrill the front hubs and 8.8 axles to 5x115 (could probably get by with the 5x4.5) add flares and run Hellcat widebody wheels on it.

View attachment 1716107100

View attachment 1716107101

Sweet! First I've seen of anything on that project. What front suspension is that? Or is that not your project, just visuals for what your goal is?

In regards to the bolt pattern, here is some info I found while doing this swap. Not definitive, but interesting.

I should break out a new rotor and get everything bolted up and the F14 wheel slipped on. Curious to see how the new rotors match up to the studs on the hub.

-
Back