SCAT Rods Weight Variation

-

nm9stheham

Reaction score
FWIW...... Just another of those little surprises. Got my 2nd set of SCAT I beam rods, PN 2-ICR6123-2124. When I placed the order, I requested that all the sets on the shelf at Summit be checked, and could I please get the set with the lightest big end weights? Well, they very nicely complied (thank you very much, Summit), but what surprised me was just how much lighter this 2nd set was compared to the 1st set; I expected some variation, but not this much.

1ST SET: Big end 429 gr; small end 173 gr; total 602 gr
2ND SET: Big end 406 gr; small end 157 gr; total 563 gr

If these differences are run through a bobweight computation, the lighter set is 62 grams lighter on bobweight....dang, that's quite a lot!

So if you are fighting to get the bobweight down to hit an internal balance target, this might be worth while to request. Of course, if you want the strongest rod, it might be better to ask for the heaviest weight set on the shelf.

(Edit to add: Understand that the rods within a set are all balanced closely to each other.)

Last edited:
I had a set of Eagle rods that 4 rods were heavier than the other 4 rods,
I called Eagle and they said they don't make the heavier rods any more and they couldn't match the lighter ones so I had to send them all back to Summit and bought Scat rods, never bought Eagle rods again, It was probably Summit just putting single rods together to make a set.

Looking at the balance sheet i have for two sets used.....

Big end...431 g small end 170 g = 601
Big end...415 g small end 181 g = 596

Getting ready to balance another rotating assembly....will look at the box weighs...got a couple sets....already changing pistons as the JE are 20 grams lighter then the Wiseco stroker pistons.

Now try this with UEM (Icon) pistons to try and replace 1 piston...

I bought two IC744-,040 replace in 410 engine in Dart.....Bought them from Jegs... UEM requested the weights on the other pistons...

you could run a big with a small and get the same combined weight per throw if you were inclined to do so. They only use 4 bobweights.

Dropped off a Scat 4 inch crank with Scat I beam rods and JE pistons today to be balanced.....See what we get in a couple of weeks.

Cast crank?

no

I got a couple more boxes of Scat I beam rods...took picture of the boxes...I will post them later

Couple of years ago two rods got damaged in an engine failure...i called scat to see about getting replacements...and they wanted the weights on the box...l kept the box and was able to provide the weights...couple of days later they called back and said the best they could do at this time was to come within two grams of what I had.....or wait for another batch to be made...I took the ones that were available...as they were 2 grams heavier..

Last edited:
-
Back