Schumaker vs TTI Headers

-
Hybrid for me, Schumaker mounts and TTI headers. Side note I made the switch to TTI building my Cuda as a result of continual brawls during install. Have not brawled or beat dents in headers since. I have them on 440s and gen 3 Hemi in A body. All good.

Did you have problems with the steering coupler hitting the header tube?

No ,aftermarket front end , small shaft ,w/ small u joints . Forgot to mention that.
The headers came from a guy in witchitaw , used and beat up pretty badly to clear the stock stuff, off a 440 dart, 1 and 3 tubes beat up pretty bad to clear stock stuff.
CUT them out heated them and drove an 1 7/8'' trailer ball through them while hot (more than once), welding them back in was the trick , couldnt get rod down between the tubes w/o sticking it , ended up welding both tubes together .
Been runing them for about 9ish yrs. Not exactly sure which TTI headers they are , but well satisfied w/ TTI -------------

Might be difficult finding or ordering a set of Schumakers now, FYI. I recently installed a 440 and went thru the header search and knuckle busting installation ;).

My situation seemed pretty rare, and I had a hard time researching and finding what I needed/wanted.

What I have:
-1969 Barracuda
-Stock power steering
-440 w/stock heads (originally 318)
-4 Speed and #246837 Bellhousing
-1.03” PST torsion bars

This is what worked for me:
-Tran-dapt motor mounts (not Schumaker, but same config)
-TTI modified Z bar and stud mount
-RobbMc mini starter (traditional mini-starter from 440 Source, etc DID NOT fit. The “clocking” solenoid feature works amazingly well.

I went with TTI 1 3/4” shorty headers (TTI44025-C5) plus extension tubes. I was told by TTI that the only headers that would fit for me are their shorty’s with RobbMc starter... and after installing, I totally believe that. Schumakers would also fit, im sure, but hard to find.

The headers fit like a glove, but was far from an easy installation, obviously. I did have to lift the engine from the oil pan, and pulled the steering column, and hung the master cyl up and out of the way in order to slide the headers in. The only denting on the headers i had to do was along the drivers side firewall where it turns into the tunnel. Also, the #8 pipe lays snuggly against a small bump in the inner fender on the passenger side, but I didn’t see that until it was too late, so I left it as-is. Extension tubes went on pretty easy... crazy how they fit just perfectly up and over the torsion bar when spun to the correct angle of the header collector interface.

build link

Last edited:
X2 Currently have TTI long tubes and it’s PITA to change spark plugs or reach the starter. Looking around for options. Even considering manifolds

Look around and be patient. You will find a set of Schumacher. To me , the ease of install and working around them on tune ups ...... is worth it

I tried to contact Mike at Schumacher and no reply. Since I have the TTI’s already just decided to stay with them. I don’t have to change the starter or plugs every month.

Besides, they sound very nice :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I tried to contact Mike at Schumacher and no reply. Since I have the TTI’s already just decided to stay with them. I don’t have to change the starter or plugs every month.

Besides, they sound very nice :thumbsup::thumbsup:
I was told he is having serious health issues that have been ongoing.

I have TTI's 440-2 on my 67 Barracuda 496 440. I am not a mechanic at all so take this with a grain of salt. It took me 10 hours to get the headers on the car. I will admit the car had already been painted when doing this so it took time not to scratch everything up. They are on and hopefully will not come off for a very long time. I already have it set in my mind that it will be at least 1 plus hours for spark plug changes. If I could do this over again knowing now what I know I would have just put a turbo LS in it and be done with it....

Headers and Spark plugs were a bit of a challenge, but I didn’t experience the same level of frustration other people did. It did take me hours for the headers... And a lot of cussing... but Maybe it’s a mindset thing? I did have to use (And purchase, in the case of one socket) a variety of wrenches, deep sockets, and ratchets for the spark plugs, but nothing that every home shop shouldn’t have. What I got out of the experience was that I needed a 13/16” Deep offset wrench (Ebay for $8) that I’ll (eventually) need to file or grind at most 1/8” off of one side to work with the #6 plug (TTI header clearance... wrench head won’t slip over plug otherwise). Also... I can’t believe people cut holes in their fenders to install 440 plugs! You are using the wrong plugs if that’s what you are doing. What worked for me were Autolite 85 or Accel 437S (these are short shaft plugs... or whatever you call them... I’m no mechanic expert either).

Last edited:
-
Back