Scream'n 318 ?

-
You know, i bet if a guy made and offered the jig and bit, it would be a seller. Hmmmm......

Wonder if you could use an old LA head as a jig and use it's oil passage to guide the drill bit?

Thats just and old pic on some heads i did before on this build il be using 302 heads and slew the holes for the puch rods to be able to full port and yes the drill is a good guid

Cripes 330 posts in a month!

I've read some of them and will try and read them all?

Building a 1968-318 for a Moparmate with 1966, 273 ported heads and 360 valves.
Old school forged pistons from pre the-21st century, Eddy intake and a 600Holley.

Hopefully looking for 300horses maybe a touch more?

keep up with the screaming posts...:thumbsup:

I know a guy here in the UK with that same 64 twin 8bbl OFFY intake.
I got some 64 heads too and was wondering if I should copy your set-up???

Look UBER COOLIO!!!:lol:

Last edited:
Cripes 330 posts in a month!

I've read some of them and will try and read them all?

Building a 1968-318 for a Moparmate with 1966, 273 ported heads and 360 valves.
Old school forged pistons from pre the-21st century, Eddy intake and a 600Holley.

Hopefully looking for 300horses maybe a touch more?

keep up with the screaming posts...:thumbsup:

I know a guy here in the UK with that same 64 twin 8bbl OFFY intake.
I got some 64 heads too and was wondering if I should copy your set-up???

Look UBER COOLIO!!!:lol:
Sounds like a screamer!!

318 engine run stand time. Mellings cam and lifters, oil pump and gear set. Have a few distributors going to swap out, points vs HEI and see where it leads me.

318 engine run stand time. Mellings cam and lifters, oil pump and gear set. Have a few distributors going to swap out, points vs HEI and see where it leads me.

Sounds great. What Mellings cam did you use? (did you post that before?)

What I wouldn't do is use a hydraulic anything camshaft.
What I would do is take apart the stock hydraulic roller lifters and machine some solid "guts" out of aluminum and reinstall the pushrod seats and assemble them with quality snap rings making them into solid rollers. J.Rob
Have you done this personally? :)

In process, I have not prior to this however. J.Rob
I think my only concern would be reusing the roller wheel itself. What pressures can the wheel axles withstand? How radical of a cam could we go with? Aren’t there reports of guys pounding the axles/ rollers apart on aftermarket roller lifters?
I do want to try it, as I have a couple of these engines. Would be pretty neat.

whatever it makes power to... maybe 7+.
7,000 is light work for a 318 or 340. In a 360 yeah thats spinning it decently well. I'd shoot for 7,500+. It's already internally balanced with a very favorable stroke and rod ratio.

you mean as it's purpose? Or the actual build? i have adjustable rockers already, so a solid roller cam is in my brain. What stinks is I also have a brand new set of Comp hyd roller lifters as well. I don't really need anything over .500 lift (or much over) to spin and make power. I need a lot of duration and at the right time. I may not know how the cam events need to work for this particular engine, but I know a guy that's done it and he does as he has run and arranged his own custom cams
I'd almost go .525 or more lift if it's a solid lifter cam. Heck my 318 magnum dirt track engine was going to get a .550+ lift hydraulic cam that Jim at Racer Brown custom specced, it's for pretty much a bone stock 318 with pistons flipped, home head porting and a good airgap/stromberg wwc 2 barrel combo. I'm turning that 318 up to 6,500 rpm with junkyard pulled factory roller lifters. If you throw a solid cam and lifters in that 318 with good pistons, heads, intake and 4 barrel it'll really scream. That will be moving it BIG TIME

Last edited:
What diameter on the drill bit? You can get cobalt drills up to 12" in length for aviation use.
LOL... YellowRose was banned, then his off-spring Rat Bastid was around and banned... doubt you'll get your reply... unless there's a YR grandchild that may show up

LOL... YellowRose was banned, then his off-spring Rat Bastid was around and banned... doubt you'll get your reply... unless there's a YR grandchild that may show up
He's around. I got a few little pokes from him. lol

Rat bastard is not banned. He was on yesterday. Maybe he is restricted.

-
Back