Seal replacement on snout of a 6-71

-

Coyote Jack

Member #55, I'm old
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a Dyers 6-71 and I noticed at the end of last summer that the snout seemed to be leaking a little bit of oil fro the very front of the snout. Out where the pulley is mounted. Is it mush of a job to replace that seal? Is it something I can do myself? Don't look at the water spots. LOL

Jack

SNOUT001.JPG

SNOUT002.JPG

nope, that thing is absolute junk
ill send you a pre-adressed box so you can mail it to me and ill see to it it gets recycled

The 6 allen head bolts will need to come out (attaching to front gear case cover), then work from the "inside" of the "snout" for disassembly .
And I'm second in line if you're going to throw it out!

Jack, here's a pick of a typical snout from BDS. There's a snap ring that holds the drive shaft in. Remove that and you should see how to drive the seal out. I like to get my parts from goodvibesracing.com. They have decent prices and good, quick service.

I cut up a milk jug and make a little catch pan to put under the bottom bolt before removing to drain.

Snout Breakdown
Blower Snouts

20180208_190542.jpg

20180208_190645.jpg

Last edited:
You have hours of polishing ahead of you. Sucks getting stuck in the rain, doesn't it? My next blower will be BLACK!

You have hours of polishing ahead of you. Sucks getting stuck in the rain, doesn't it? My next blower will be BLACK!

That's not from rain. That is from being stored in an unheated garage and the freeze thaw of winter. If you look real close you will see that some of those spots are actually frozen water. Each spring it is a whole day of cleaning and polishing for me.

Jack

That's not from rain. That is from being stored in an unheated garage and the freeze thaw of winter. If you look real close you will see that some of those spots are actually frozen water. Each spring it is a whole day of cleaning and polishing for me.

Jack

That is horrible. I would pull the blower off and keep it on the kitchen counter where you can admire it during the long cold winter. I am not kidding!

IMG_1027.JPG

I wish I could. The wife will only put up with so much. LOL Actually, I keep it all together so I can start it once a month to make sure the insides don't get to much condensation buildup. Besides, I like to scare the hell out of my new neighbours when I start it up. LOL

Jack

-
Back