Seam seal and removing the drip edge

-

gdizzle

Reaction score
on my 66 dart 270 sedan, the seam sealer at the drip edge on the roof is all cracked up, rusty and needs to be removed and redone. I bought some Dynatron seam sealer in the tube, and want to get to work removing the old stuff.
I saw a few videos of 69 darts where guy takes a beer opener and prys the trim piece right off. Do you know if that works on the 66 Dart? it would seem much easier to remove the seam sealer if the trim is out of the way. Right?

I used a bottle opener,pick,wire brush and whatever else I could find to work. The channel seems have been lead sealed so wear a mask if your kicking up any powder. I have a 2 sided bottle opener that has a bird beak on one side and blunt on the other. The blunt end is what you use to remove the trim and the beak to get the sealer out of the tight spots.

I used a piece of hard wood and a small body hammer to start tapping the bottom of the trim at one end and working the way around. One thing is for sure if you distort the trim it will not go back on correctly and keep coming loose. Take your time and only move a little at a time. Good Luck

great thanks for the info. So you guys are saying that yes, the trim will just sorta pry off if I work slowly. Now this might seem like a dumb question, but how does it go back on.?

Yes,start at the end/corner and slowly work it off. Be ready for it to pop off when you reach near the end.

I put it back on with a rag and a small no-bounce hammer and tap it VERY lightly on the bottom edge were if you used the piece of wood method it's were you hit to pop it off. I have seen people use there hands but I think your hand is very sore before you finish the first side

Take it off evenly or you will have a piece of twisted scrap i you just start a one edge and tap if off until that section is loose.

I TOOK THE DRIP RAIL MOLDING OFF MY DUSTER WITH THE BEER CAN OPENER WORKED GREAT.

I need to see a video of this "beer cap" removal as my seam sealer is cracked and shrunk. Perfect place for water to sit and eat my roof.

Once the trim is off, I use a propane torch to heat up the sealer. It's a bit easier to get off and when you're near then are metal a wire brush works great when the stuff is gummy.

Someone has already video'd it. Makes it look easy. Id put a piece of leather on the tip of the bottle opener to prevent marring the stainless...

Removing the trim on our 69 fastback with a bottle opener. Start at one end and work your way to the other. Worked great for me.
z2HbjrRHX-YJm2CfXQ9W8LqAiTD3m9KuOEXZkEyEehWp1W939F9Jx_86nh6Bb40sE3yvcJSegJJnonripA=w1282-h721-no.jpg

1wn3kdCG3VAiURyRrkA4vInMI-6tdHMgSPo1-EtAf2cKv-vtd2WlAnwTaatsPYcBSDavfUy-lUr4kcWYpA=w1282-h721-no.jpg

pAH9IA03eQp6MX22IdB-j-CTSoZ_5xzl5epab47F9zh0uzG6_b9DSloAl_V4pgADwvz-8HJqu_epJB00pg=w1282-h721-no.jpg

I also have always used the blunt end of a beer opener. I would add one suggestion. Have an assistant help both with removal and replacement. It will keep paint from getting scratched and reduce chance of twisting the trim.

I did try to use the beer opener, and it worked but I did get some little teeth marks on the bottom edge, no matter how carefully I tried. Especially around the corners. I used black tape as well.

I'm having trouble putting mine back on around the the curve of the a-pillar. Anyone have any suggestions?

Once the trim is off, I use a propane torch to heat up the sealer. It's a bit easier to get off and when you're near then are metal a wire brush works great when the stuff is gummy.
Great idea,Moper....Always used 4 inch wire wheelds, and a Makita...

-
Back