seat cover labor

-

KJoeZ61

Reaction score
I have a set of frames from a 75 Dart Sport that I've striped and removed the padding, what a PITA that was. Everything is cleaned up and ready. I purchased new covers and padding from Legendary which came in around $700.00. My local upholstery guy is saying around $500.00 for the labor to put them back together, Isn't that high?

What padding did you buy from Legendary? Was it their installation kit? I didn’t think Legendary sold the foam for seats after ‘71/72?

IMG_0856 (002).jpg

I’d do it myself.
You need good grip and hog rings/pliers.
If you took them apart, then re-assemble in reverse order.
Theres no worries about getting it
Tight enough,foam takes care of that.

I've been thinking about it and I have the pliers. But I cheated taking them apart since I had the help of a razor knife. My concern is getting the wires through cloth sleeves and doing that part correctly. Its really going to be tight! I would imagine when doing this the warmer the better, so now would be the time.

I've been thinking about it and I have the pliers. But I cheated taking them apart since I had the help of a razor knife. My concern is getting the wires through cloth sleeves and doing that part correctly. Its really going to be tight! I would imagine when doing this the warmer the better, so now would be the time.
Go for it. They are not that difficult. Set up a large clean work area where you won't scuff the new material.

When i was at the ford dealership, had to repair heated seat elements. Leather seats are tough.
One trick i learned later is put poly on the seat back to help cover slip over.
Another is throw a garbage bag on seat back. Just leave it in there.

I have done it is not that difficult. I made a 4x8 table to do it on.

Last edited:
I did mine,take your time /have plenty of work space

2018-06-24 dust cap 011.JPG

2018-06-24 dust cap 015.JPG

2018-05-08 seat6 006.JPG

2018-05-08 seat6 002.JPG

2018-04-16 s-10parts 006.JPG

2018-04-16 s-10parts 016.JPG

2018-04-16 s-10parts 005.JPG

2018-04-16 s-10parts 012.JPG

2018-04-16 s-10parts 011.JPG

2018-05-10 seat10 006.JPG

I TOTALLY agree. I did mine, and they came out GREAT. And I had never done it before. You can do it.

I replaced the cracked rear seat cover 65 Barracuda with one I found that wasnt cracked. Sure it was a PITA but it was not impossible. Trick I learned is if you possible can, put them on inside out starting from the top and sort of pull the rest over and work it down. I did it the other way, pulling the entire seat cover over the top and it deformed the top corners. Had to pull it off and start again. Great tip on a trash bag over the cushion to assist in sliding the vinyl over. Do it in the sun so its pliable.

Get about 100 long zip ties and mock up the seat coverz tightening them a little at a time... once everything looks good install the hogrings..

Im a cheater !

I did mine too. Super easy after you consult the how too's and youtube is a big help as well. Laying them out in the sun a couple hours before you start is a giant help.

I did mine too. Super easy after you consult the how too's and youtube is a big help as well. Laying them out in the sun a couple hours before you start is a giant help.
Put a big piece of cardboard in ur p/up bed and work on the tail gate, its about the perfect heigth to do seats on.

Not sure if you're doing bench or bucket. Each has their tricks. High back bucket tops have to be turned inside out, put on like a long tube sock. Watch your alignment and centering. Listing wires can be made from thick wire coat hangers, or something similar. A table or truck bed covered in cardboard is a good place to work - you will have to compress the foam and springs at times to get the bottom panels to line up, so you will meed a clean, non-marring surface.

** Examine all your frame springs for tightness, especially where they anchor at the frames. Not unusual for a loose or noisy one.

That's way high.

My guy said $100 each, but I did the bottoms, and he only charged me $40 each to finish the backs.

Take your time.
De-burr sharp edges on the frames.
Mark the centers to help line things up.

If I can do it, anyone can!

Seats1.gif

Okay with all this said how could I say I not going to try! I did watch the Legendary video on 73 Cuda seats, they are the same. I ordered hog ring pliers on ebay and this weekend going to Carlisle so hopefully next week I'll have some pictures.

PS. I appreciate the tips.

Okay so it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. The bottoms were easy, the backs on the other hand were a PITA. But they turned out pretty good, nicer than the aftermarket I had.

IMG_0051.jpg

IMG_0085 (002).jpg

I used them on my Duster, they were a pain to do the tops.
My neighbor helped me, I would have them sitting out in the sun every evening when we came home, and pulling the tops down would only go a little bit at a time.
When we finally got both seats done, he said that he would pay somebody to do my seats next time.

Okay so it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. The bottoms were easy, the backs on the other hand were a PITA. But they turned out pretty good, nicer than the aftermarket I had.

View attachment 1715210568

View attachment 1715210569
They look nice! Hope my dart seats come out like that.
I will be pulling covers and getting the local upholsterer to do them. I will instsall covers myself.
I may even try stitching up a set.
Done it before.

-
Back