Seat foam?

-

Ironracer

Gearhead
Reaction score
Hey Everyone, I hope all Y'all are doing Well!
I was wondering if you're going to do seat covers should you replace the foam, or if it's a small spot can you just repair it?
Little bit above my pay grade...
Thanks!

I would think a small area is repairable if the rest of it is in very good condition. Overtime it seems the foam contracts / compresses and new covers my actually fit too loose over it, JMO.

I would think a small area is repairable if the rest of it is in very good condition. Overtime it seems the foam contracts / compresses and new covers my actually fit too loose over it, JMO.
Ahh, I didn't even think of that. Back in the day I just go to the Boneyard or go buy some from somebody that we're still in good shape. So I've never actually gone through this part of a build. How would you repair it just spray from it let it dry and shave it back or do you have to take and square out a piece of some type of high-density foam and then try to glue it in there then shape it back?

I'm no seat cover expert but I have done a few. Did the seats in my el Camino and my Corvette and they turned out nice. As far as replacing the foam, I think it depends on how sacked they are. I think you get a better result if you replace them but it's not always necessary. I personally found that it is a lot more difficult to fit the cover with new foams as they are fuller (is that a word?) and less forgiving. And yes, you can repair the foam if you use some with similar density. Cut to fit and glue with either foam glue or mild spray adhesive.
If anyone on here is an upholsterer, they might have better advice.

I'm no seat cover expert but I have done a few. Did the seats in my el Camino and my Corvette and they turned out nice. As far as replacing the foam, I think it depends on how sacked they are. I think you get a better result if you replace them but it's not always necessary. I personally found that it is a lot more difficult to fit the cover with new foams as they are fuller (is that a word?) and less forgiving. And yes, you can repair the foam if you use some with similar density. Cut to fit and glue with either foam glue or mild spray adhesive.
If anyone on here is an upholsterer, they might have better advice.
I kinda figured the new covers and new foam would be a bear. I remember reading in a Mopar magazine many years ago take that new vinyl out and set it in the sun for a few hours before attempting to stretch it over. That and get some hog ring pliers. Only ones I've ever done we did with crushed velvet, kind of That 70s look...

take and square out a piece of some type of high-density foam and then try to glue it in there then shape it back?

That's what I've done on my seat backs. They actually had hard spots that kinda' stuck out on the old cover sides. Cut e'm out and plugged the holes like a dentist filling. I just used some foam from a tool case I had.

That's what I've done on my seat backs. They actually had hard spots that kinda' stuck out on the old cover sides. Cut e'm out and plugged the holes like a dentist filling. I just used some foam from a tool case I had.
Cool deal! If I was to change the foam, do You know the process? My neighbor was a Custom Upholsterer, but moved back to Ohio after his mom passed away.

I have a similar "issue", covers are great, but the burlap appears to be crumbling, and/or non existent, which now puts springs right against the foam and its disintegrating also.
I will at least need burlap and possible foam.

Cool deal! If I was to change the foam, do You know the process? My neighbor was a Custom Upholsterer, but moved back to Ohio after his mom passed away.
It depends on the manufacturer. Some foams come with a thick reinforcement wire molded inside them and you hog ring the foams in place using the wire. Some don't have anything and they are either held in place with burlap hog ringed in place or a similar method. At least the ones i've seen.

I understand you can glue a thin layer of foam on top- maybe after you do the small repair

I have a similar "issue", covers are great, but the burlap appears to be crumbling, and/or non existent, which now puts springs right against the foam and its disintegrating also.
I had to cut a piece of a seat spring out of my 66 satellite. Thing was poking up in a Bad Spot!

Mine weren't that bad Steve. Likely a lot less use.

1674692317257.png

I used 3 or 4 layers of new burlap when reassembled but didn't replace the foam. They still came out OK for me .......

1674692452716.png

I like that "thin layer" idea TF.

View attachment 1716039548

I used 3 or 4 layers of new burlap when reassembled but didn't replace the foam. They still came out OK for me .......

View attachment 1716039549

Dude, those are Smoking Hot! Sweet Seats Man! Great job! Wow! So are you just saying you take burlap and just wrap it over the foam, as a cushion/ filler/ spacer?

No, the burlap is under the foam only. Several layers glued together. Also, a sheet of vinyl IIRC.
Trying to find my pictures. I'm in disarray with my new confuser!

So the thin layer of foam goes on top of main piece of foam? I would be concerned of not having the correct shape?
Good idea Dave with a couple layers of burlap, that should provide protection from the springs and help save the foam. Seats look perfect!
Thanks guys! :thumbsup:
I understand you can glue a thin layer of foam on top- maybe after you do the small repair

View attachment 1716039548

View attachment 1716039549

Yes the original seat foam can be repaired. Whether it's the seat corners worn off or your dog chewed a hole in a snowmobile seat from being locked in the garage.

Can take some 1" or 2" high density HR foam and glue that down into the low spots and leave it overlap.

Once it has dried you can take an electric steak knife and easily trim it back to the original shape.

One good trick when sewing together seat covers is to use 1/2" Muslim backed foam on the back side of the top sitting surface vinyl to help it fill out nicely and that in turn covers over the foam repair imperfections in the process.

Some tricks to it to make it look nice like doing body work.

The burlap goes over the seat springs to help support the foam on top of it.

20230125_210634.jpg

Yes the original seat foam can be repaired. Whether it's the seat corners worn off or your dog chewed a hole in a snowmobile seat from being locked in the garage.

Can take some 1" or 2" high density HR foam and glue that down into the low spots and leave it overlap.

Once it has dried you can take an electric steak knife and easily trim it back to the original shape.

One good trick when sewing together seat covers is to use 1/2" Muslim backed foam on the back side of the top sitting surface vinyl to help it fill out nicely and that in turn covers over the foam repair imperfections in the process.

Some tricks to it to make it look nice like doing body work.

The burlap goes over the seat springs to help support the foam on top of it.

View attachment 1716039612
Thanks G Jets!Do you have any pictures of that? I'm having a tough time visualizing that, and I'm not even sure what Muslim backed foam is? Can I insert of appropriate terrorist joke here now
? Or am I Going to get beaten by the guy with the monkey wrench and sockets?
Thanks Brother!

Later A-body seats used a loose woven poly material that superceeded the burlap (which is organic and eventually wears out and rots). If you are going to replace the burlap, you might check it out. I've see 72 or 73 seats that used it originally and it looks like new 50 years later. I just redid my 70 Dart buckets and got foam from the only source - PG Classic. The difference in the density of the foam (how much resistance to compression) was remarkable. The seats were suddenly firm and supportive and much better on long days on the road, so if you are going to drive that car, it might be worth it.

That's MUSLIN, guys. A thick, lightweight woven cotton (originally developed in Iraq).

Later A-body seats used a loose woven poly material that superceeded the burlap (which is organic and eventually wears out and rots). If you are going to replace the burlap, you might check it out. I've see 72 or 73 seats that used it originally and it looks like new 50 years later. I just redid my 70 Dart buckets and got foam from the only source - PG Classic. The difference in the density of the foam (how much resistance to compression) was remarkable. The seats were suddenly firm and supportive and much better on long days on the road, so if you are going to drive that car, it might be worth it.
Thank you for the Info! Yes sir, I do drive my car, when I can! I built it right on the edge of reliability and violence at the throttle, (with the parts and cash I had at the time). Do you have any idea if they have phone on hand or if it's something that's going to be back ordered because it comes from overseas or anything like that?

I've upholstered a number of seats, only because it was way too much $ to pay someone.

Get hog rings and pliers, they are inexpensive and worth every penny.

I went to a craft store, bought a 3" roll of burlap as well as larger burlap, iirc 3 feet wide.
The 3" roll was much stronger, and I stretched it both ways across the seat a few times, then covered it in the large burlap.

One seat I did the bottom foam was shaped from the factory, so I added a small layer of new foam under it, 1/4" iirc.

Wrap that in the sheet like stuff, muslin.

Setting covers in the sun helps, but I also put the seats face down on a table, placed a long board over it, and clamped it with wood clamps, board to underside of table, moving them around as needed while I placed the hog rings.

This made it much easier, less pulling and stretching the covers by hand while trying to attach hog rings.

Use everything original you can, for example any seat kit will have cardboard strands for the edge inserts, factory used metal wire, which was sometimes a wavy wire, not straight.

I've upholstered a number of seats, only because it was way too much $ to pay someone.

Get hog rings and pliers, they are inexpensive and worth every penny.

I went to a craft store, bought a 3" roll of burlap as well as larger burlap, iirc 3 feet wide.
The 3" roll was much stronger, and I stretched it both ways across the seat a few times, then covered it in the large burlap.

One seat I did the bottom foam was shaped from the factory, so I added a small layer of new foam under it, 1/4" iirc.

Wrap that in the sheet like stuff, muslin.

Setting covers in the sun helps, but I also put the seats face down on a table, placed a long board over it, and clamped it with wood clamps, board to underside of table, moving them around as needed while I placed the hog rings.

This made it much easier, less pulling and stretching the covers by hand while trying to attach hog rings.

Use everything original you can, for example any seat kit will have cardboard strands for the edge inserts, factory used metal wire, which was sometimes a wavy wire, not straight.
Okay my ignorance is going to shine rapidly, and quite brightly here! So, the 3"Burlap goes around the seats, both ways? and then put the 3' burlap on it? you're talking about just the metal frames or does that go over the foam? What you giving is an excellent verbal description my dumbass just can't visualize it...

-
Back