Second Blueprint 408 issues

-
Status
Not open for further replies.

CCHHAARRGGER!

Reaction score
Update from a previous thread. I received a replacement 408 from blueprint to replace the one that failed . Everything was going great, no leaks, good power. i was really taking it very very easy with this motor, not going above 3,000 rpm no hard accelerations etc. Now have almost 600 miles on it. Changed the oil this past weekend using blueprint 1030 oil that they recommend. Yesterday I noticed a knocking noise on acceleration and deceleration. Today it has gotten way louder. This is the second engine from them and i am now really concerned that i either have really bad luck or that i have another motor that has failed.

What could possibly be making the noise on acceleration and deceleration? Oil pressure is good. I took the valve covers off and the rockers are all god, push rods seam to be fine.

Damn! Sorry to read this. I'm thinking rod bearing, but a lot more verses in this than me.
Good luck!

Similar issue here, it turned out to be loose pressure plate bolts.

Acceleration and deceleration are pretty different engine loading conditions. Using the “knocking” word makes everyone think rod bearings, but even “knocking” can be different stuff. Frequency is a big thing to think about, how fast/slow it is can help pinpoint it. IE, does it match engine RPM, or valve train, or driveline revolutions.

Based on your description I would also look at drivetrain stuff, or maybe suspension. With acceleration and deceleration you’ve got angle changes with the driveline and loading and unloading of the suspension. Could be the driveline hitting the exhaust, bad or loose u-joint, or some kind of suspension interference. Bigger horsepower means bigger weight shifts and harder loading of the suspension.

Another thing to consider would be detonation, not sure what compression you’ve got, what octane you’re running, or the timing info.

Sorry to here, could you please post what you find in the end.l can only say I have reason to be very interested also. Hopefully it is something from the list above and not internal. Thanks-Swingn’

Acceleration and deceleration are pretty different engine loading conditions. Using the “knocking” word makes everyone think rod bearings, but even “knocking” can be different stuff. Frequency is a big thing to think about, how fast/slow it is can help pinpoint it. IE, does it match engine RPM, or valve train, or driveline revolutions.

Based on your description I would also look at drivetrain stuff, or maybe suspension. With acceleration and deceleration you’ve got angle changes with the driveline and loading and unloading of the suspension. Could be the driveline hitting the exhaust, bad or loose u-joint, or some kind of suspension interference. Bigger horsepower means bigger weight shifts and harder loading of the suspension.

Another thing to consider would be detonation, not sure what compression you’ve got, what octane you’re running, or the timing info.

Thank for the suggestions. It also does it while not in gear. At idle i don't really hear it if i rev it it gets louder with the rpm increase. if i rev it up and hold it stable i do not hear it .

Did you call Blueprint first or just splatter it out here like dirty laundry?

Took the car down to a local engine builder. He confirmed what I thought it is, rod bearing is bad. When I started the car this morning there was no noise. I took it around the block after it was warmed up and the noise was back.

sorry to hear it. did they ever let you know what the postmortem on the first one found?

Spoke to someone at Blueprint. They want me to take it out and ship it back. I said , no offense,I prefer to have my local engine builder check it out because right now I am not all that confident in blueprint's work. He understood . I asked if they would pay for the repair . He would not commit, and i understand why. Engine will be out next week and taken apart. I will update when I have more info for those that are curious.

I would be worried that someone else opening that engine voids the warranty.
Sucks, I would think that BP would pay for removal and freight at this point.

I verified with the person at Blueprint that if there is something that is found related to blueprints workmanship, that they would pay for the repairs. As expected they would not commit to paying for anything up front without knowing what caused the bearing failure. Oh well, I will see what happens.

Yep. Blueprint wants to see it for themselves... You should be able to drain the oil and see some contaminents if a bearing is going South.

The bottom line is you bought a motor with warranty so let that do the work for you. Though I completely understand your frustration with the situation in pure logic that is the idea of a warranty.....

Damn,
JW

Damn is right lol.
It's in BP best interest to get that engine back in their hands in the current state to properly evaluate.
Double damn lol!
Yep. Blueprint wants to see it for themselves... You should be able to drain the oil and see some contaminents if a bearing is going South.

The bottom line is you bought a motor with warranty so let that do the work for you. Though I completely understand your frustration with the situation in pure logic that is the idea of a warranty.....

Damn,
JW

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back