Second Gen Barracuda VIN

-

d55dave

Reaction score
I am currently looking at a 69 Barracuda notchback. The VIN starts with BH23. Were both fastback and notchback BH23, or was one BH29?

Is there any way to tell from the fender tag or VIN if it is a formula S or cuda? Does anyone know any good decoding sites for the fender tag?
Thanks!

23 is a notchback 29 is a fastback. Give us the fender tag info here and we can decode it quickly, you don't have to give the VIN digits.

23 is a notchback 29 is a fastback. Give us the fender tag info here and we can decode it quickly, you don't have to give

23 is a notchback 29 is a fastback. Give us the fender tag info here and we can decode it quickly, you don't have to give the VIN digits.
Here you go. The lower line also has E63 and D21

Thanks!

Screenshot_20180912-115654_Messenger.jpg

Yes, this is what I am thinking. Just want to make sure it is the real deal and not rebodied. From what I see it is 69 notch cuda 383 4 speed bench B5 blue with the light package (hood mounted turn signals) and factory discs.

The car as it sits has the incorrect bench (it is a later dart bench), appears to have a non original hood with no scoops or turn signals s, it is a different color than the rest of the car, but it does have a dual cut out rear valance and factory tach, wood grain dash and 120 speedo.

Does anyone know where the pigtails would be for the hood mounted turn signals?

Yes, this is what I am thinking. Just want to make sure it is the real deal and not rebodied. From what I see it is 69 notch cuda 383 4 speed bench B5 blue with the light package (hood mounted turn signals) and factory discs.

The car as it sits has the incorrect bench (it is a later dart bench), appears to have a non original hood with no scoops or turn signals s, it is a different color than the rest of the car, but it does have a dual cut out rear valance and factory tach, wood grain dash and 120 speedo.

Are you sure that is the wrong bench ? My 69 340 Cuda has a bench with no armrest and factory 4 speed.

Is it a BC car or is it across the 49th?

@69cudanutz is a Cuda guy from out that way. Perhaps he has info you could use. He hasn't been here for a while but I bought some stuff from him awhile back. I believe he is from Coquitlum.

I'll give HemiSSDart a chance to respond with the fender tag info. If he can't I can decode it for you. Cool car and we haven't even seen it yet. LOL

From the US. I am considering buying and importing it. Do you know of any notchbacks locally?

Not a notchback but a ‘68 GTS 383 4spd. I’m partial to the notchbacks too.

Thanks for the responses.

I am considering purchasing this notch, problem is how far away from me it is...... I am in western Canada and the car is in kansas.....

I am also looking at a local car which might turn out to be a better option for me. Also rare but not as rare as the notch, it is a b5 blue 69 cuda 340 4 speed fastback, bench seat and factory air. It is a rust free California car but is disassembled. It is nice to be able to personally view a car before purchasing, and the fastback might be an easier resell in the future. Added bonus is that it is half the price of the notch.

Thanks for the responses.

I am considering purchasing this notch, problem is how far away from me it is...... I am in western Canada and the car is in kansas.....

I am also looking at a local car which might turn out to be a better option for me. Also rare but not as rare as the notch, it is a b5 blue 69 cuda 340 4 speed fastback, bench seat and factory air. It is a rust free California car but is disassembled. It is nice to be able to personally view a car before purchasing, and the fastback might be an easier resell in the future. Added bonus is that it is half the price of the notch.

Ahhhh the one where the ad has a photo of what the car would look like restored and then has pictures of what he’s actually selling. Hassle factor is a lot less with that Langley car as it’s already been imported. I suspect that since it doesn’t mention numbers matching block and transmission, it’s not not a numbers matching car.

Ahhhh the one where the ad has a photo of what the car would look like restored and then has pictures of what he’s actually selling. Hassle factor is a lot less with that Langley car as it’s already been imported. I suspect that since it doesn’t mention numbers matching block and transmission, it’s not not a numbers matching car.
Yes, that is the one and you are correct, it is non numbers.

Too bad you aren't looking for a rough car that needs a lot of love.
Or are you?
I have a '69 Formula S fastback 340 auto car that was turned into a race car back in the day.
I would let it go for cheap and have the major components to fix the butchered back half.
No engine or tranny though, and the car is pretty rough.
It has the fender tag and all of the body numbers match the V.I.N. etc.
It's in Cranbrook, B.C. at my property there.
Interested?
If not, do you know of anyone that would be?
P.M. me and we'll go from there.

Too bad you aren't looking for a rough car that needs a lot of love.
Or are you?
I have a '69 Formula S fastback 340 auto car that was turned into a race car back in the day.
I would let it go for cheap and have the major components to fix the butchered back half.
No engine or tranny though, and the car is pretty rough.
It has the fender tag and all of the body numbers match the V.I.N. etc.
It's in Cranbrook, B.C. at my property there.
Interested?
If not, do you know of anyone that would be?
P.M. me and we'll go from there.
I think that we have talked about your car before, it is too big of a project for me. Thanks though! I prefer something that is mostly complete and doesnt need major body work. I dont really care about the mechanical state or state of disassembly. I have been picky, LOL. Will see how this 69 is.

I would suggest joining the 67-69 barracuda site on fbook and advertising it there. If you dont want to send me some pics and a description, I will post it for you.

Cheers

I think that we have talked about your car before, it is too big of a project for me. Thanks though! I prefer something that is mostly complete and doesnt need major body work. I dont really care about the mechanical state or state of disassembly. I have been picky, LOL. Will see how this 69 is.

I would suggest joining the 67-69 barracuda site on fbook and advertising it there. If you dont want to send me some pics and a description, I will post it for you.

Cheers
Thanks.
The car that you are looking at in the U.S. looks like a good one for sure.
I'll p.m. you to get your contact info. and will send you pics and descriptions etc.
I don't do facebook, but any help would be appreciated.
I would love to see this car go to someone that would appreciate it for what it is.
Personally, i love the Fastbacks better than the Notchbacks, but that's just me.
I am considering doing the back half repair this winter myself, but i would like to pass this car on to some one else so i can concentrate on other projects.............
Thanks again,
Tom.

Here goes!
M47 - Hood Scoops
N85 - Tachometer
R11 - 2 watt AM radio
V78 - Longitudinal blue accent stripes (However the Cuda 383 package deletes the accent stripes)
A01 - Light package (ash receiver, glove box, headlights-on warning, ignition switch light with time delay, hood mounted turn signals, trunk )
A57 - Cuda 383 Package ( 383-4bbl engine, 4 speed transmission, Dual exhaust with chrome tips, Cuda 383 callout, Hood scoops and black hood tape stripes, Lower body black stripes, HD Suspension, HD 1" shocks, E70x14 red-streak tires, 14"x5.5" HD wheels, Black grille, all vinyl bench seat, standard accent stripe deleted)
B41 -Front disk brakes
G15- Tinted windshield only
L31 - Hood mounted turn signal indicators
M21 - Drip rail moldings
B5 - Blue Fire Metallic body paint
L2X - Low trim grade, black vinyl bench seats
X9 - Black upper door frame
120 - Scheduled production date - Jan 20, 1969 (Monday)
060564- Vehicle Order Number
E63 - 383, 4bbl engine, 335 HP
D21 - 4 speed manual transmission

Jim

-
Back