second owner '72 Dart Swinger

-

ynst

Reaction score
Was my daily driver in the eighties.

Younger daughter inherited it for her first car in high school and, later, in college. Her mother made her give it back to me (we were divorced) because she was too dependent on me (not a good thing in a messy divorce). In any event, her older sister inherited it while she was a student at Villanova. It came off the road in 2000 and went inside the garage for 15 years. Now younger daughter wants to drive it to her 20th high school reunion, so..................

Attachments

• DSC_1696-r.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 215
  • DSC_1697-r.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 209
  • DSC_1698-r.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 181
  • DSC_1715-r.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 200
Oh yea got a '76 Duster (Space Duster) that I bought back after the lease was up in '79. Black, saddle interior, under a car cover in the garage for 36 years

Welcome, great to see the 72 out in the sunlight, what are you plans for her?
Well, it was her first car so I feel an obligation to try and maintain it for her, HOWEVER, I'm not going to "restore" it but just get it running and dependable for the 100 mile (one way) trip to the reunion.

If she wants it restored, that's up to her. I'll do it but on her nickel.

Otherwise, it might be for sale come November.

Torsion bar anchor on the driver's side was starting to go so, rather than repair it, I dropped in a new one. That meant cutting the floor so I dissected a couple of reproduction floor pans to replace the removed sheet metal. The gas tank had a pinhole in the bottom from the float resting there all the time (the tank was always running on fumes when she had it) and I soldered a patch on it years ago. Since it was getting rusty, I replaced it with an NOS MoPar tank. She lost the tread on of the "quality" tires her mother had bought for her and that ripped up the trunk floor and extension pretty badly on the left side so I replaced those. The right quarter was getting lacy from the road salt so that got replaced along with the other trunk floor extension.

The car never made it to her 20th high school reunion nearly 3 years ago but it just got painted today. The paint is still drying.

_DSC0319_01.jpg

_DSC1178-1.jpg

_DSC1178-1.jpg

Been driving it for about a year now. Just replaced the torn headliner this week. Kids moving from apartment to apartment tend to not be careful with furniture in the back seat. Couple of pictures from August 2018. I bought that '68 GTX brand new and never parted with it.

_DSC1179-1.jpg

-
Back