Selling truck without Smog in California

-

ESP47

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm trying to sell my 84 D100 for pretty cheap. I bought it in April and it wasn't smogged or registered. I took it to DMV and paid the registration and they gave me a temporary registration and said they would give me the title when I smogged it. Well I have other projects that I'm working on and don't really want to mess with the truck anymore. Can I sell it without it being smogged? I could have swore I saw on the DMV site that there was some form you could fill out where both parties agree on the sale without smog but I can't find it now.

I searched online and have gotten mixed results. Some say you can't sell it under any circumstances without a smog because they could come back and take you to small claims court. Others say you can if you write an as-is type document where both parties agree. I also saw that you can sell it without smog if it's non-opped because you shouldn't have to smog a vehicle that isn't running.

Does anyone have any real info on this? Thanks.

In CA the seller is responsible for smog according to the books. The only legal way around that is to sell it as title only. In the real world a good running fullsize pickup is always worth something to somebody, especially with a clean title.

The only real information I can give you is. I go to auctions here and there and buy vehicles and equipment in California. The auction companies will not sell a non smog passing car to the public. They will only sell a car or truck that doesn't pass smog to a dealer buyer. All their cars are as is regardless if it passes smog or not.

I guess my question is if you have, say a 79 Camaro, that isn't even running and you want to sell to someone to fix up, are you just not allowed to sell it because it can't pass smog? There's got to be some way around this otherwise no one would ever be able to sell a non running car after 1975 in California.

yea im having a helluva time trying to sell/ smog my 77 chevy 3/4 ton 4x4...i have a clean title, and its a straight truck, just, there is NO smog equipment in it anywhere. i have searched and searched and cant find a complete smog equipment for this truck....

Mopardude, I don't know if it applies but I had a 77 D100 and the only pieces it had on the engine that aren't on my Duster were a smog/air pump, vacuum canister amplifier widget and the charcoal canister. Everything else was the same. You should be able to go to the junkyards and get everything you need. Rockauto sells air pumps as well.

Check with a private DMV business. They usually know the ins and outs of what can be done. I believe there is a form for selling vehicles that don't pass smog to private parties. Don't quote me on this but I think it's something like "buyer demands title". I've seen that designation on vehicles at local auctions open to the public.

There's GOT to be a way, and there has to be a way of selling a "non running vehicle."

Ok, so you say it runs? No, it doesn't. Remove the rotor, and like magic, it doesn't run!!

-
Back