Selling without PayPal

-
depends where you are selling i guess. me personally, if you don't take paypal and aren't close enough for me to just drive over and purchase the part i'm not buying from you. most things i purchase lately are things i "want" not "need" so maybe that makes a difference. i just can't be bothered going and buying a money order, mailing it, waiting days/ a week (even slower lately) for the seller to get and cash the money order, then the seller sending the part and having to wait god knows how long for that to get here... i can save days maybe even a week buy using paypal.. there is a guy that posts quite a few things here for sale that will only take money orders.. he has had a few things over the years that i'd have bought if he took paypal.. did he eventually sell? who knows but the ads were up for quite a while . i'd have bought the day it was posted.. at the same time i really didn't "need" the stuff i just "wanted" it and wound up finding it elsewhere and by someone that was either close to home and i could go pick it up or someone that took paypal and the deal was done..

as a seller i can't be bothered with a money order either because then i have to mark a part as pending, wait god knows how long for the damn money order, get to the bank on a day off if i get the time to cash it. too much a pain in the *** in my opinion. then you have these crazy buyers who after i took the part off the market for however long waiting for the money order decide they don't want the part any more.... paypal me and i have the money instantly and your part goes out that day or the following morning depending what time in the day you send the money.

i have used vemo and zelle but prefer paypal for online purchases..

I'll add to the money order thing. Our post office looks at me sideways if I go in and try to cash one, yet they have the ability to look it right up and verify it. Been told "take it to your bank". Go to the Bank, they say "this is a PO money order, take it there". I finally put my foot down with the bank and they took the last one. I'm not doin it anymore. It's an inconvenience as a seller, that I should not have to put up with and it's all because scammers who've used faked money orders to steal stuff.

I'll add to the money order thing. Our post office looks at me sideways if I go in and try to cash one, yet they have the ability to look it right up and verify it. Been told "take it to your bank". Go to the Bank, they say "this is a PO money order, take it there". I finally put my foot down with the bank and they took the last one. I'm not doin it anymore. It's an inconvenience as a seller, that I should not have to put up with and it's all because scammers who've used faked money orders to steal stuff.

thats crazy

I use PayPal for every transaction
I buy a tonne of parts mostly in the usa to ship downunder....
Some ship within the usa
Some directly to me here in Oz...
Buying or selling never had a drama in 20 years....only way to go...
If I'm buying I only use goods and services and pay the extra....
99% of people with paypal are good people I think and don't cause headaches

Here for local buys i use electronic money transfer, through my bank. There has to be some level of trust,and have been lucky so far. I ask sellers name and address and verify before i send the funds. As its always car parts, i have found car guys are the best to deal with. havent done any deals with car gals so the jury is still out on that.

I had fraudulent activity on my credit card when selling on ebay and received notices how "they were doing everything they could to resolve it" which meant nothing. Paypal IS OWNED BY EBAY and I REFUSE TO SUPPORT THEM PERIOD. I'm old school and believe most people are honest. I am honest with my descriptions and don't sell junk. I have only had 1 item returned in the hundreds of transactions I've done and the money was promptly returned when I got the item back. I treat people the way I want treated. If you can't or won't pay by check or money order that's fine move on. If I'm the buyer and you won't accept my check I move on No Problem. Paypal can kiss my @ss

I've used PayPal since right after it first became available. I only had one problem many years ago & it was resolved very quickly. By & large on FABO, I use PayPal to buy parts I want & or need, I also use it to sell parts to our members. Everyone I've ever dealt with on this site buying or selling has had no problems. If you venture outside of the realm of the people you know & trust here, there may be problems. I've made an exception to one of our members buying & selling parts that does not use PayPal & I've known this person for close to 20 years. We have agrred on prices for whatever he is selling, or buying & hold the parts until we meet up at a swap meet or drag race. As I've been told many times in the past, "Buyer beware" & that also goes for sellers.

In my experiences, I've found that there are people that say "I'll send you a check or money order" and then some do and some don't. Of those that do, some take a while. Then again, I've had people send me cash too (!) right away. It's all over the map.

I kinda like paypal because it happens right now and it does offer some amount of protection to the buyer. I think that means something to me as a buyer and says something to anyone wanting to buy from me that they have some protection.

I won't do "friends and family" unless I am actually a friend or family.

Any transaction over the web is a calculated risk. Most people are honest but we've all probably been burnt at one time or another to some degree. The best thing is to pay attention and don't risk the rent money.

Writing checks or even going through the trouble of obtaining a Certified check is archaic.
I hate writing checks, theyre slow and the person on the other end controls when its cashed in. So many times a check I wrote gets cashed months later. It always seems to screw up by balance and auto pay at the wrong times. I prefer to put cash gifts in wedding envelopes too.
I've dropped out of an organization because their annual dues were ONLY paid by check, it took them 3 months to cash the last one! Then theres the dreaded $tamp and USPS...I can go on!
Guess Im spoiled.:soapbox:

Last edited:
The PAPER check is going the way of the Dodo bird, as stated it's archaic & old school. If you are selling parts & pieces & DON'T take PayPal, Zelle, Venmo or other forms of electronic pay, I will pass over your stuff. Most of the time when I buy stuff, I need it in a reasonable amount of time (2-3 days). If I have to send a check, it's 2-3 days getting to the seller, the seller then takes it to the bank & they take a day or so to post it to the sellers account. Then the seller has to package up the parts, get it to whatever carrier they are using. From there it takes 2-3 days to get to the buyer. SO, that can stretch the transaction to a week to ten days at the earliest. I'm not referring to buying parts you can pick up at your local parts store, I talking about parts that are unique to ones situation. In my case, it's stroker parts for a race engine that CAN be had on the internet, but most of the time I get a much better deal buying someone else's parts & using them for my application. A case in point is, I went to the local speed parts store needing XYZ part. I'm told it's "special order" item & have to put down 50% as a none refundable deposit. From there I'm told it will be a week to ten days before they have it in hand. I go back to pickup said part & it's not what I ordered. I fight with the merchant over a 15% restocking fee because the wrong part was ordered or shipped. The list & examples can go on & on, but most of the people here will get my point. RANT OVER! LMAO

The PAPER check is going the way of the Dodo bird, as stated it's archaic & old school. If you are selling parts & pieces & DON'T take PayPal, Zelle, Venmo or other forms of electronic pay, I will pass over your stuff. Most of the time when I buy stuff, I need it in a reasonable amount of time (2-3 days). If I have to send a check, it's 2-3 days getting to the seller, the seller then takes it to the bank & they take a day or so to post it to the sellers account. Then the seller has to package up the parts, get it to whatever carrier they are using. From there it takes 2-3 days to get to the buyer. SO, that can stretch the transaction to a week to ten days at the earliest. I'm not referring to buying parts you can pick up at your local parts store, I talking about parts that are unique to ones situation. In my case, it's stroker parts for a race engine that CAN be had on the internet, but most of the time I get a much better deal buying someone else's parts & using them for my application. A case in point is, I went to the local speed parts store needing XYZ part. I'm told it's "special order" item & have to put down 50% as a none refundable deposit. From there I'm told it will be a week to ten days before they have it in hand. I go back to pickup said part & it's not what I ordered. I fight with the merchant over a 15% restocking fee because the wrong part was ordered or shipped. The list & examples can go on & on, but most of the people here will get my point. RANT OVER! LMAO
LMAO I just hate to shop with my wife. She always pulls the checkbook out and then complains that it takes so long. :BangHead::BangHead: Jeez, swipe and go! Let's get outta' here!

TMM, I had to read the latter part twice. The first time I saw "wipe & go". LMAO

I use Postal Money Orders or personal checks only, or in person. Never had a problem with any of the Post Offices or my bank cashing a M.O. But if comes to the point no one wants to buy anything unless they want me to take pay pal, I'll just chuck the parts in the dumpster and move on.

I think it depends a lot on the reputation of who is buying/selling. That's what I like about this forum, it has a feedback profile section. I'm not saying it's foolproof but it has given me a warm fuzzy more than once. As to paying for parts? I like PP. As options, if the seller will take it I will send a check or even cash if the seller seems to warrant that level of trust. USPS MO is a last resort. It is a PITA to get one even in my one horse town. I'm guessing a larger city is even worse. Just my two cents.

I use pay pal first and USPS money order second. Never had an issue with either one.

I still take p/p even though I get dinged with a transaction fee and a currency conversion fee. I tell ppl that I’ll take p/p if they pay the fee. Only a bout half pay the p/p fee so then I refund the payment. Some say that it’s only a few dollars, so I say if it’s only a few dollars why didn’t u pay it? Kim

I still take p/p even though I get dinged with a transaction fee and a currency conversion fee. I tell ppl that I’ll take p/p if they pay the fee. Only a bout half pay the p/p fee so then I refund the payment. Some say that it’s only a few dollars, so I say if it’s only a few dollars why didn’t u pay it? Kim

i pay the PP fee weather i'm asked to or not..

It only a few dollars more, I include the pay pal fee in the asking price. It is worth the piece of mind and convenience to the seller and the buyer.
This. ^^^^ How hard it is to work $5 into your price. I pay when people say I have to, but it's an insult to say they are too good to pay the fee, as per the rules, and it's on me. It's never been too much for me not to buy whatever I'm after.

The cross border deal makes it less appealing to use PayPal, as I am forced to use a credit card. It just puts a bill a month back that I've forgotten about a time or two. My fault, not the sellers. But I've needed those things up in Canada,so I paid the fee, got my ticket and took the ride.

I've taken money orders or you could even accept personal checks, and ship AFTER they cleared (usually 10 days). Slows the paying/shipping process but it works. I've not had any problems with Pay Pal ever, but that's mute because you did and you are moving on.
I have bought a couple of parts lately, the seller does not do paypal. I just send him personal checks. I know I could get shafted, but he advertises and sells lots of early B parts on FB site. You got to have faith is humanity some days!

Aa a buyer, if I pay you, as Family or Friend, is there a fee on the sellers end? How do I know what the fee is?

Biggest issue I have had is when I tried to add money to my PayPal account, used to do it all the time. That way the money was there and I didn't have to wait for the 1-3 days to pay some guy.

At some point they changed that and now adding money to the account requires 3 pieces of ID, a DNA test and a stool sample (at least it felt like it). I was furious that they wanted all this invasive personal info. In the end, just make sure the money is in the linked account and it sends instantly. Feel kind of bad for the way I reacted, even posted a thread on FABO about how I was done.

I don't sell much so I have never had to fight for my money. But I am waiting for 4 boxes to land on a guys doorstep tomorrow and hoping he doesn't pull something. Time will tell. I did make copies of the PM's and have the tracking numbers so I think I have the proof I need.

Seems like there are more and more people trying to pull scams on people. Hope I'm not the next one...

-
Back