SEM paint question

-

supertruck

Unretired Old Fart stock car racer
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Finishing up the SEM paint on my 73 Sport interior plastic trim. Turning out great, going from parchment to black. My question before I try and maybe mess it up. The headliner trim above the door is metal. Can I use the same SEM color coat paint on these pieces? Or do I need to find a standard paint that matches the SEM color? And if I use the SEM color coat, do I still need the adhesion promoter? Thanks FABO.

Lightly sand the metal pieces ans shoot them. Adhesion promoter is used for plastics not metal. If you sand through the paint on the metal u may have 2 prime w a bare metal primer

Thanks. I have some rattle can paint that's close to the SEM. I can't sand too much because of the grain on the trim pieces. I can strip it to bare metal and then paint.

U dont have 2 necessarily sand. U can also use a scotch brite pad. Use a grey one if you prefer.

Hadn't thought about Scotch Brite. Got several of those. Thanks.

Have no doubts about painting metal with SEM paints. I’ve done lots and never had a problem. As noted no adhesion promoter. Treat it like any other spray paint on metal.

-
Back