SEMA: Mopar 426 Crate Engine tease

-
could be worse...

could be a 5.7

I don't need a ticket to SEMA.
Billy snagged a hoarde!!! $8000 a setup (426 or 472) with heads ...
20181009_165623.jpg

So Billy bought these for $8k per set, or is he selling them for $8K per set? Either way, that is really great to see!

He is keeping a couple but most are for sale! There's also a KB aluminum pro stock engine. How many you want??? :D

He is keeping a couple but most are for sale! There's also a KB aluminum pro stock engine. How many you want??? :D
I'm in Canada, so by the time the dust settled on my doorstep I would probably be somewhere around $11.5 - $12K Canadian or so. I would love to get another Hemi, but that is a lot of bucks, plus then it will need to be built. Those hemis are not for the financially faint of heart.That Dana I bought from you a few years ago ended up costing over $1600.00 Canadian by the time it landed here. But I was thinking that maybe Billy could post the VIN's and see if the blocks could be matched to their cars. You never know...….

This is the story as I overheard it. When Billy wakes up I will correct it as needed -- I wasn't there the whole time the stuff was delivered.

These blocks were the original 80s test mules from Chrysler. They went to Richard Blaylock at Cummins in Memphis where they were completely tested, and then taken apart. All the internals were returned to Chrysler per their contract along with all the test results. Mr. Blaylock got to keep the blocks. He passed away ... and Billy bought all of them from the estate.

To my knowledge none have VINS. Some are 426s and the others are 472s.

Sonic checks and magnafluxing is supposed to start tomorrow just to be on the safe side.

The KB pro stocker is a serious looking piece of machinery for sure! Billy is keeping its water heads and the Keith Black aluminum valve covers (no doubt crossing my bench at some point) for one he picked out.

There are single and dual plug heads in the hoarde too, and a big stack of cams, cranks, alky and nitro pistons, zoomies, a transmission and blanket that all go with the KB.

20181009_165645.jpg
20181009_165532.jpg
20181009_165444.jpg
20181009_165437.jpg

Last edited:
This is the story as I overheard it. When Billy wakes up I will correct it as needed -- I wasn't there the whole time the stuff was delivered.

These blocks were the original 80s test mules from Chrysler. They went to Richard Blaylock at Cummins in Memphis where they were completely tested, and then taken apart. All the internals were returned to Chrysler per their contract along with all the test results. Mr. Blaylock got to keep the blocks. He passed away ... and Billy bought all of them from the estate.

To my knowledge none have VINS. Some are 426s and the others are 472s.

Sonic checks and magnafluxing is supposed to start tomorrow just to be on the safe side.

The KB pro stocker is a serious looking piece of machinery for sure! Billy is keeping its water heads and the Keith Black aluminum valve covers (no doubt crossing my bench at some point) for one he picked out.

There are single and dual plug heads in the hoarde too, and a big stack of cams, cranks, alky and nitro pistons, zoomies, a transmission and blanket that all go with the KB.

View attachment 1715241221 View attachment 1715241222 View attachment 1715241223 View attachment 1715241224
What internals were returned to Chrysler, sounds like Billy has most of them ?
The alum. hemi block a water block ?? What are the cranks like ?
Inquiring minds want to know-----------

I had a look at the Hellephant crate motor at SEMA, it was pretty crowded in the MOPAR booth when I was there. They had Mark Worman and Chris Jacobs onstage talking about MOPAR's. Then I found this on the NHRA website...

Mopar has unveiled a brand-new Hemi-engine, the “Hellephant” 426 supercharged Mopar Crate Hemi, boasting 1,000 horsepower and 950 lb.-ft. of torque. The new engine, a Mopar-first for a 1,000-horsepower crate engine kit offered by an Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM), was unveiled Tuesday at the 2018 SEMA Show.

“Our enthusiasts crave power and performance and our new ‘Hellephant’ Mopar Crate Hemi engine and kit deliver huge horsepower and torque in a plug-and-play package that is unique in the industry,” said Steve Beahm, Head of Parts & Service (Mopar) and Passenger Car Brands, FCA - North America. “

The “Hellephant” engine hits the 1,000 horsepower mark via bulked-up displacement, with 4.0 inches of stroke and bore specs at 4.125 inches. An improved supercharger with a high-efficiency rotor is mounted on the all-aluminum block, which provides huge weight savings to keep the “Hellephant” light. The all-aluminum block, used in Mopar Dodge Challenger Drag Pak race vehicles that dominated the 2018 NHRA Factory Stock Showdown class, was configured for the street in close collaboration with Mopar and engineers from the motorsports world.

The engine and kit’s distinctive “Hellephant” logo provides a nod to the Mopar brand’s past and present. The logo and name call out the legendary 426 Hemi engine, first introduced in 1964 and nicknamed the “elephant” engine for its power and size, as well as the 707-horsepower Mopar “Hellcrate” Engine Kit, revealed last year at the 2017 SEMA Show.

The complete engine assembly includes a water pump, flywheel, front sump oil pan, supercharger with throttle body, fuel injectors and coil packs. The first-ever 1,000 horsepower crate engine assembly offered by an OEM can be paired with the Mopar “Hellephant” 426 Supercharged Mopar Crate Hemi Engine Kit for relatively simple plug-and-play by experienced installers. The engine assembly and kit are designed for installation on pre-1976 street and off-road vehicles.

Additional features of the “Hellephant” 426 Supercharged Mopar Crate Hemi engine include valve covers imported from the Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat Redeye and valve train, valves, locks and retainers pulled from the Dodge Challenger SRT Demon. The engine build includes a special high-lift cam, as well as custom-forged pistons.

The “Hellephant” 426 Supercharged Mopar Crate Hemi Engine Kit includes a powertrain control module (PCM), power distribution center, engine wiring harness, chassis harness, accelerator pedal, ground jumper, oxygen sensors, charge air temperature sensors, fuel pump control module and cam bus interface device. The PCM is unlocked and tuned to pump out 1,000 horsepower and 950 lb.-ft. torque.

As with the “Hellcrate” engine, Mopar will also offer an essential Front End Accessory Drive (FEAD) Kit, which includes an alternator, power-steering pump, belts, pulleys and more, and is among additional engine accessory hardware components available to assist in installing the “Hellephant.” The kit ships in unique packaging, featuring the “Hellephant” logo and includes in-depth information sheets with helpful installation tips and requirements.

The “Hellephant” 426 Supercharged Mopar Crate HEMI engine assembly and kit will be available in the first quarter of 2019. For more information, visit www.cratehemi.com.

-
Back