Sending unit

-

Greg Steffe

Reaction score
I am replacing the gas tank in my 1970 Duster 340. We want to replace the stock fuel gauge with an Autometer Sport Comp II electronic unit. Problem is the recommended Autometer sending unit won't fit this application so I need to find a compatible unit the fits in the stock location. According to Autometer this gauge will work with a unit rated for 10-73 ohms, or close. Goodmark makes a sending unit they rate at 10-70 ohms. Is this close enough ? It does have the single 5/16" Outlet I need. Also, I'm not sure if this is linear, or non linear. Has anyone else experienced this, and if so what was your solution ?

Kinda out of left field here, but I would put in a sending with a return option
You can plug it off for now but thst way if you ever need it, it will be there

Lots of gas tank sender threads on here. If you buy the aftermarket ones that are not designed for the shape of the tank, they work poorly. Mine has an aftermarket sender that is linear and my gas gauge reads full for a long time, then goes to empty very fast. It still has about 1/2 tank on empty. The factory ones are non linear. Read up before you do anything. Fewer options after you get the sender installed & doesn’t work right. I am thinking about buying a meter match.

Lots of gas tank sender threads on here. If you buy the aftermarket ones that are not designed for the shape of the tank, they work poorly. Mine has an aftermarket sender that is linear and my gas gauge reads full for a long time, then goes to empty very fast. It still has about 1/2 tank on empty. The factory ones are non linear. Read up before you do anything. Fewer options after you get the sender installed & doesn’t work right. I am thinking about buying a meter match.

.............and not knowing how aftermarket gauges are designed, this could be better or worse for accuracy. I don't suppose Autometer/whoever SAYS what the lnearity is?

Been posted many times, there's a device for about 50 bucks called a "metermatch" that goes between the gauge and sender and corrects it at several points along the scale. I haven't had one on the road, but I did buy one, played on the bench, and it does work

TechnoVersions - MeterMatch for Analog Gauge Correction

Hey Del, do you think the Meter Match will improve my gas gauge performance significantly? I have read about them, but never touched one. I assume it was primarily desinged to compensate for differences in resistance rather than linearity. The additional set points described in their literature look like they could help a lot.

I have my dash out again to fix some things I didn’t get right the first time when I was ignorant and in a hurry. Now I am just not in a hurry. Pretty frustrating when the gas gauge is always full or empty.

Looks like now would be the time to try while I have it all apart.

To answer original question, 70-10 ohms range will work pretty much like OEM. A few ohms doesn't make a noticeable difference in needle position at the high resistance end.

Hey Del, do you think the Meter Match will improve my gas gauge performance significantly? I have read about them, but never touched one. I assume it was primarily desinged to compensate for differences in resistance rather than linearity. The additional set points described in their literature look like they could help a lot.

I have my dash out again to fix some things I didn’t get right the first time when I was ignorant and in a hurry. Now I am just not in a hurry. Pretty frustrating when the gas gauge is always full or empty.

Only thing I did when I bought one (car is apart) was put it on the bench and jigged it up to play with it. I would bet they are a good deal IF they are reliable. I have no source of reviews, and have not heard of others on here one way or t'other

.............and not knowing how aftermarket gauges are designed, this could be better or worse for accuracy. I don't suppose Autometer/whoever SAYS what the lnearity is?

Been posted many times, there's a device for about 50 bucks called a "metermatch" that goes between the gauge and sender and corrects it at several points along the scale. I haven't had one on the road, but I did buy one, played on the bench, and it does work

TechnoVersions - MeterMatch for Analog Gauge Correction
THANK YOU !!!!!

THANK YOU !

Only thing I did when I bought one (car is apart) was put it on the bench and jigged it up to play with it. I would bet they are a good deal IF they are reliable. I have no source of reviews, and have not heard of others on here one way or t'other
THANK YOU !

I bought a Meter Match and hooked it up to my dash on the bench. I have been impressed so far. It looks like I can use it to correct my aftermarket gas tank sender with good accuracy. Would likely work for most gauge and sender mismatches. Very easy to use. Used some graphs I found on the forum to program it. I’ll post some info on it when I get back and going again.

Also doing the home built IVR using a 7805 regulator. Boy that thing gets hot at just 1/2 amp. Think I need a bigger heat sink.

I bought a Meter Match and hooked it up to my dash on the bench. I have been impressed so far. It looks like I can use it to correct my aftermarket gas tank sender with good accuracy. Would likely work for most gauge and sender mismatches. Very easy to use. Used some graphs I found on the forum to program it. I’ll post some info on it when I get back and going again.

Also doing the home built IVR using a 7805 regulator. Boy that thing gets hot at just 1/2 amp. Think I need a bigger heat sink.
Thank you !!

I got the fish out yesterday, put 5 gal. I had in a can, cause I thot it might be empty, after the mopar meet last year. Drove to town (after smoking a corvette on the 4 lane) , topped it off which took only $7 . The gas gauge / sender/ wiring are all new. The gauge read around 1/2 to 3/4 bouncing on the way to town, after I filled it up , it read about 3/8 to 1/4 , it even has one of the 5-6 ohm deals in before the gauge .
Have dana 60, and would have to drop the tank to change the sender/not up to that ! Guess I`ll just put up w/ it.
The 440/505 has a fast 2.0 fuel inj. on it and actually gets pretty fair mileage, "or better than I expected" , even tho I haven`t checked it exactly.

Last edited:
-
Back