Senior Discounts

-

fl 71

Reaction score
On the Low T thread a member mentioned about AARP and the offer of Senior Discounts.
Of us older members how many take advantage of senior discounts and why or why not.
I myself do not.

I do, especially at Dunkin Donuts, and Publix. Why? Because I can. I'm 67 years old, I consider Sr. Discounts a benefit, not an insult, so, why not?

I am also 64...and I still view myself as a teenager......

I do, especially at Dunkin Donuts, and Publix. Why? Because I can. I'm 67 years old, I consider Sr. Discounts a benefit, not an insult, so, why not?

Absolutely...I'm with Frankie on this....I take every discount I can on everything. Hell.. My Wife asks for Senior Discount at Garage sales:lol::lol:

as a Vietnam veteran I have been using military discount especially at Lowe's. It pays the taxes. If senior discounts are offered at 68 I qualify

At 66, I AGREE. If the company is nice enough to offer it, I will take it. As a retired AF officer, I also take advantage of a military discount when I can. A while back, I was a Tile Shop, and asked if they had a military discount. The guy said no, but he gave me a 20% contractor's discount. Never hurts to ask!! Why wouldn't you take a discount?

I am 65 today and went to great clips for a free haircut, shampoo and massage. I normally do forget to ask, but do like a discount when I can

Why should you be given a discount just for being old.
I truly appreciate that many retail stores and restaurants offer a senior and Military discounts. I guess I don't take advantage of them because I am to *** suborn to admit I'm getting old. If you don't grow up by 40 you don't have to.

I truly appreciate that many retail stores and restaurants offer a senior and Military discounts. I guess I don't take advantage of them because I am to *** suborn to admit I'm getting old. If you don't grow up by 40 you don't have to.
Fine with military. Senior not really.

I don't believe a discount is required just for being old. But if offered why spend ten if you can get it for nine?
IMO, It's just a perk to get you in to buy without doing the legwork. You can find 10% off "perks" (some call them coupons) for many items or services on the net if you take the time to look. You don't have to be old.
I'll take it when I can get it.
an example for Advance Auto ...............
upload_2017-1-23_17-22-49.png

Because for a lot of seniors, when they retire their income drops dramatically. I'm certainly not going to bad mouth a place cause they don't have one. But if they offer it, why not?
Some places try to hide it by not really advertising it, but often if you ask if there is a senior discount, they do offer it.

Because for a lot of seniors, when they retire their income drops dramatically. I'm certainly not going to bad mouth a place cause they don't have one. But if they offer it, why not?
Some places try to hide it by not really advertising it, but often if you ask if there is a senior discount, they do offer it.
On the flip side a lot of young people who haven't had a lifetime of opportunity to build Capitol struggle and start at the low end of the pay scale. Where's their discount.

On the flip side a lot of young people who haven't had a lifetime of opportunity to build Capitol struggle and start at the low end of the pay scale. Where's their discount.

Sorry that's just the way it works. I had to start at the bottom 35 years ago. I started working in high school as a mechanic, My starting pay was $2.00 an hour. I'm 56 and started working when I was 15. Bought my own first car for $75 bucks, paid my own insurance and gas so I could drive to high school and then to work.

You'll be old someday, you'll get your senior discounts then. Old people don't just get senior discounts for no reason, they've worked hard all their lives, and they've earned a little break now and then.

Sorry that's just the way it works. I had to start at the bottom 35 years ago. I started working in high school as a mechanic, My starting pay was $2.00 an hour. I'm 56 and started working when I was 15. Bought my own first car for $75 bucks, paid my own insurance and gas so I could drive to high school and then to work.

You'll be old someday, you'll get your senior discounts then. Old people don't just get senior discounts for no
reason, they've worked hard all their lives, and they've earned a little break now and then.

Actualy I'm 64 and been eligible for sometime. Real reason business offer senior discounts is because they have for the most part more money to spend. It's just a gimmick to bring in business. Proof by a few posters here who have acknowledged the don't need it but take advantage of it just because.

Dude, are you serious. How rude can you be. I worked my way through college making just above minimum wage in a grocery store. I worked hard for many years to get where I am now. After 20 years in the USAF, I went back to school to get an MBA so I could get a good job. For 5 years I worked in a Western Auto at half of what I was making in the AF because they would work my schedule around school. For those 5 years I had no life. I was either at school, at work, studying or sleeping. After graduating near the top of my MBA class, I got a job in a Federal Home Loan Bank; starting at the bottom in the Audit department. For the next 20 years I worked my way up and retired in 2015 as a Market Risk Analyst. I worked damn hard for everything I have, and if you object to me living comfortably after all that hard work, TOUGH. If you are not happy with your lot in life, do something about it. I did twice, and it was very difficult both times. I have earned my senior discounts.

Ray is right. It's a business draw.......but it's a nice benefit, too. It works both ways. I give every person who looks 55 and older a senior discount where I work. It's a small town and I know nearly all of our regular customers. They appreciate it and keep coming back. To me. I also give our military discount to all active and former military, as well as law enforcement, firemen, EMTs, first responders and the like. It's just good business.

Dude, are you serious. How rude can you be. I worked my way through college making just above minimum wage in a grocery store. I worked hard for many years to get where I am now. After 20 years in the USAF, I went back to school to get an MBA so I could get a good job. For 5 years I worked in a Western Auto at half of what I was making in the AF because they would work my schedule around school. For those 5 years I had no life. I was either at school, at work, studying or sleeping. After graduating near the top of my MBA class, I got a job in a Federal Home Loan Bank; starting at the bottom in the Audit department. For the next 20 years I worked my way up and retired in 2015 as a Market Risk Analyst. I worked damn hard for everything I have, and if you object to me living comfortably after all that hard work, TOUGH. If you are not happy with your lot in life, do something about it. I did twice, and it was very difficult both times. I have earned my senior discounts.

I don't object to you working hard to earn a living. If you bothered to read and comprehend what I wrote you would understand. Discounts should be offered to the young struggling. Like you did . Being old is not an entitlement. Serving your country is.

Where's their discount
Lol, my kids have gotten many discounts from..................... my retirement!
Actually I find young folks a hell of a lot more resourceful than myself especially within technology. I've learned a lot from them and to not sell 'em short.
IMO, They want discounts, they find them or a work-a-round. The deserving understand the GOYA principle.

-
Back