Serial Number Tag

-

RustyRatRod

I was born on a Monday. Not last Monday.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
How is the serial number tag affixed to the front of the door jamb on the early cars? It has a hole in either end, like a rivet would go in, but I've never seen rivets in any of them. Is it glued on somehow?

I have a 62 b-body and mine is exactly how you describe. Frankly, I don't know how its attached, tho I believe I read somewhere that it is some sort of spot weld.
I think if it were glue, it might have let go by now, 60 years later and God knows how many heat/cool cycles.

I have a 62 b-body and mine is exactly how you describe. Frankly, I don't know how its attached, tho I believe I read somewhere that it is some sort of spot weld.
I think if it were glue, it might have let go by now, 60 years later and God knows how many heat/cool cycles.
You'd think if it was glue that a lot of people would have lost them. BUT back then they didn't care if the glue ate holes in concrete and made you have two headed babies, they used stuff that WORKED. lol It's mighty thin to spot weld, plus, there's no discoloration like a spot weld would do. It's got me stumped. It's not gonna happen soon, but I'm just wondering because the door jambs and under hood areas will be the first places that I repaint.

Spot welded.
The holes are for alignment.

Look at the tag real close, you will see two flattened and mushed places near the holes.

Screenshot_20220924-132454.png

Last edited:
Funny you mentioned that about painting the jambs.
My car was white, had it painted blue by a one day outfit, and they must have masked off the Vin tag. Now that I think about it, I'm shocked!
Since the tag ain't going nowhere, time to get out the masking tape.

Funny you mentioned that about painting the jambs.
My car was white, had it painted blue by a one day outfit, and they must have masked off the Vin tag. Now that I think about it, I'm shocked!
Since the tag ain't going nowhere, time to get out the masking tape.
Yeah, I might just do that.

I bought my 65 Barracuda down in your neck of the woods (Reynolds, GA) and the NC DMV inspector that came to do the VIN verification so I could get a title tried to trip me up over this very thing! He asked me what happened to the rosette rivets holding the tag? I told him they weren't ever there because the tag was welded on. He busted out laughing, and I asked him what was so funny? He said that it was hard to keep a straight face when he asked about the rivets because he took a look around the garage and saw nothing but Mopars and 1 Smokey and the Bandit Trans Am, and figured I'd know....lol. There's a 66 Barracuda on here for sale that somebody got the tag off the door jamb some kinda way, without boogering up the tag!

-
Back