serpentine belt dress up kits

-

rod7515

Reaction score
As i look around I am not finding any serpentine kits for a small block dodge. Does anyone have any suggestions? Small block 360.
Thanks Rod

March, I used single belts. One for the alternator and P/S

March belts.jpg

I'm running the March Dual Serpentine Kit on my 89 318.
Word of caution - let them know what A/C compressor you are using if any. Also, if you are using aluminum heads, other than stock alternator, power steering etc. All of this affects the spacer combinations and belt lengths.

I use the March 10300 kit on the 340 in my Duster, I also have a 3 core aluminum radiator and run a 95-2000 Ford Contour dual electric fan set up. I did have to skip the nose cone on my water pump pulley, but other than that I have plenty of clearance. I didn't install mine for dress up purposes either, I was having a belt throwing issue with the standard V-style belts on my 340 despite having them aligned properly. The 6 rib serpentine belt solved that problem immediately.

img_1559_zpse3b2d10c-jpg.jpg

Just a thanks to everyone that has thrown an idea out here. I am working on getting my 66 Dart that has manual steering back on the road. Im considering going to power steering but since it's not on the road yet I'm still not sure. I want to make up my mind before I purchase any kit and that means I need to drive it a few times. I'm hoping to have my first drive in September as it sits now and see if PS is needed. But in order to change to PS i will probably have to change the idler and pitman arm as well. Ive looked at a Flaming river box, a Borgeson, or go to a NAPA and buy one of theirs. Then theres the power steering pump. I do have one from a 66 Dart slant six car but it would need to be powered coated in order to look good with a new dress up kit.
I dont do many car shows, maybe 2 a year and Im not a trophy ***** so this is to make me happy with what I look at once the hood is up.
Ive spent 4+ years of a few hours a week getting this car ready to get back on the road. Ive spent well over what the car will ever be worth and I figure going to PS steering or just a dress up kit will run anywhere between $500 - $1500 more.

Again thanks for all suggestions and if there are any more throw them at me.
Thanks Rod

Just a thanks to everyone that has thrown an idea out here. I am working on getting my 66 Dart that has manual steering back on the road. Im considering going to power steering but since it's not on the road yet I'm still not sure. I want to make up my mind before I purchase any kit and that means I need to drive it a few times. I'm hoping to have my first drive in September as it sits now and see if PS is needed. But in order to change to PS i will probably have to change the idler and pitman arm as well. Ive looked at a Flaming river box, a Borgeson, or go to a NAPA and buy one of theirs. Then theres the power steering pump. I do have one from a 66 Dart slant six car but it would need to be powered coated in order to look good with a new dress up kit.
I dont do many car shows, maybe 2 a year and Im not a trophy ***** so this is to make me happy with what I look at once the hood is up.
Ive spent 4+ years of a few hours a week getting this car ready to get back on the road. Ive spent well over what the car will ever be worth and I figure going to PS steering or just a dress up kit will run anywhere between $500 - $1500 more.

Again thanks for all suggestions and if there are any more throw them at me.
Thanks Rod
If you're a man of modest strength or greater and have the original large steering wheel, in my humble opinion you don't need power steering. My diminutive wife and I drove a '65 Dart GT 273 4-speed with manual steering for years with no problems whatsoever. The cost and labor needed for the conversion would be better spent elsewhere on your Dart.

65chargerdart, Iol, I'm getting older so modest strength is going away. But actually turning effort is not terrible but the ratio is why Im asking. And I dont want to buy a serpentine kit without PS then have to add it later and incur a bigger expense.

I guess I will wait until it's actually on the road and see how bad it is then make this decision.
Thanks for all the replys.
Rod

I know my 66 Barracuda with PS is actually a lot of power steering. The steering effort on a slow roll or stop is really good but while driving AND having the factory large wood and chrome wheel is so much I bought a power steering box built for a slower flow so there is more road feel. It helps but the ps in the early abody were in my opinion too much. Having an alignment shop change the caster of the alignment to put more weight on the front wheels helps also. I understand about getting older and needing more dlcreature comforts to make driving the car easier. Lol!

hey 72bluNblu, what water pump pulley / crank pulley sizes - ratio does that come with?

One of these days I’m going to write down my measurements, I’ve taken them a few times. The crank pulley is 5.875”, that’s listed. The water pump pulley I’m pretty sure is 5.75”, I know the ratio is slightly overdriven, it’s just a smidge over 1:1. I run a high volume water pump with mine.

One of these days I’m going to write down my measurements, I’ve taken them a few times. The crank pulley is 5.875”, that’s listed. The water pump pulley I’m pretty sure is 5.75”, I know the ratio is slightly overdriven, it’s just a smidge over 1:1. I run a high volume water pump with mine.

Why not find the stock pieces and restore them? Probably be more cost effective in the long run and you could paint the brackets whatever color you want. Those custom serpentine systems are way expensive.

Why not find the stock pieces and restore them? Probably be more cost effective in the long run and you could paint the brackets whatever color you want. Those custom serpentine systems are way expensive.

Depends on how crazy you get with accessories. The March set up I run wasn’t bad at all, but it’s only 3 pulleys and 1 bracket.

It solved the belt throwing issue on my 340 immediately. I screwed around with the stock V-belt pulleys for weeks, fine tuning the alignment, making sure all the pulleys were true, even swapped a couple out, tried a couple of different belts, ran the tension from tight to loose and everything in between, didn’t matter. Stab the throttle = toss the belt. Not sure why, I run V-belts on everything else with no issues, that 340 just hates them. Put the serpentine pulley set on, problem solved.

Depends on how crazy you get with accessories. The March set up I run wasn’t bad at all, but it’s only 3 pulleys and 1 bracket.

It solved the belt throwing issue on my 340 immediately. I screwed around with the stock V-belt pulleys for weeks, fine tuning the alignment, making sure all the pulleys were true, even swapped a couple out, tried a couple of different belts, ran the tension from tight to loose and everything in between, didn’t matter. Stab the throttle = toss the belt. Not sure why, I run V-belts on everything else with no issues, that 340 just hates them. Put the serpentine pulley set on, problem solved.

Big bore, short stroke and built right. Instant revs. That'll chunk a belt every time.

I finally settled on the CVF system. It should arrive on Friday. My biggest concern will be the lower pulley and how close it will come to the trans lines from radiator and where the water pump pulley will be. If I remember right we had to press the nose in a little to make things line up when I first did it. RRR is right about it getting costly. I purchased the ps/alt kit with a new alt and ps pump. Was $1k. I only did it because I sold my vette so I had some extra cash and want to be able to drive this without working my *** off! I had a friend give me a ps box and I already have the column and coupler. Just hoping it all works out ok! Once it gets here I'll post some pics!
Rod

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but my question is kinda along the same line, I'm getting all pulleys installed, alternator lined up with spacers, etc. Does the pulley size matter in regards to ratio? I bought belts that are supposed to fit my car, but they don't. I'm running a 408 stroker, eddy rpm heads, a square back alt, eddy water pump, federal ps pump. I have a champion rad and dual electric fans from a contour. I'd like to eventually change the alt to a smaller nicer fitting one, and a serpentine pulley set up, but for now I just want to get er running.

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but my question is kinda along the same line, I'm getting all pulleys installed, alternator lined up with spacers, etc. Does the pulley size matter in regards to ratio? I bought belts that are supposed to fit my car, but they don't. I'm running a 408 stroker, eddy rpm heads, a square back alt, eddy water pump, federal ps pump. I have a champion rad and dual electric fans from a contour. I'd like to eventually change the alt to a smaller nicer fitting one, and a serpentine pulley set up, but for now I just want to get er running.

Yes, the pulley sizes absolutely matter for ratio. The diameter of the pulleys is literally what sets the ratio.

I use the March 10300 kit on the 340 in my Duster, I also have a 3 core aluminum radiator and run a 95-2000 Ford Contour dual electric fan set up. I did have to skip the nose cone on my water pump pulley, but other than that I have plenty of clearance. I didn't install mine for dress up purposes either, I was having a belt throwing issue with the standard V-style belts on my 340 despite having them aligned properly. The 6 rib serpentine belt solved that problem immediately.

View attachment 1715209345
What kind of radiator/ size are the fans on? Do they still work well?

-
Back