Severe timing /cam issue

-

RJG

Reaction score
Hello all,
When I accelerated my '63 Valiant to pass another car, the /6 225 engine suddenly began a horrible clanking/ banging noise as it kept running but with only a little power. I pulled off the road, but just as I was about to turn off the ignition (the engine was idling very loud and rough),it felt like a piston hit a valve (or some other mechanical obstruction).
It seemed to me maybe a timing gear issue. I pulled the timing cover off and everything down there looks ok. No damaged teeth, the key on the crank is intact. The chain didn't seem loose enough to possibly jump. The alignment post on the cam was intact.
I pulled off the head, and nothing strange there either.
But, with the head and the timing chain off, I notice that I cannot turn the cam pulley using a 1/2" drive on the cam nut.
Shouldn't the cam turn without great force?
Before I pull the entire engine, was hoping to understand what might be going on.
Thank you for any input.
Confused

Yes ,the cam should rotate free and easy in the block. The oil pump and the distributor run off the cam, so make sure they are not part of the issue, if not it would have to be the cam bearings have seized up.

did you check the plastic gear on the dist for striping or turning I keep a spare gear in the glove box when driving them also don't try to turn the cam with the timing chain hooked to the crank

You say with the cylinder head off everything looks ok. You tried turning the cam but what about the crankshaft? Years ago my sister broke a rod in a slant and drove it home. Wouldn’t lock up. Pulled the head and the third piston was stuck, tapped it and it dropped to the oil pan. Just wondering if a rod broke in a way to where it could smack the camshaft and bend or break it or lodge something between the cam and block to seize.

Hello all,
When I accelerated my '63 Valiant to pass another car, the /6 225 engine suddenly began a horrible clanking/ banging noise as it kept running but with only a little power. I pulled off the road, but just as I was about to turn off the ignition (the engine was idling very loud and rough),it felt like a piston hit a valve (or some other mechanical obstruction).
It seemed to me maybe a timing gear issue. I pulled the timing cover off and everything down there looks ok. No damaged teeth, the key on the crank is intact. The chain didn't seem loose enough to possibly jump. The alignment post on the cam was intact.
I pulled off the head, and nothing strange there either.
But, with the head and the timing chain off, I notice that I cannot turn the cam pulley using a 1/2" drive on the cam nut.
Shouldn't the cam turn without great force?
Before I pull the entire engine, was hoping to understand what might be going on.
Thank you for any input.
Confused

I'll bet something in the bottom end broke and hit the cam bending it.

Thank you all for the input. Yep, I believe that I don't need to do any more investigating to know this engine is retiring. Had originally hoped it was a timing/bent valve sort of issue. Maybe the car is ready to be put to rest.
Thanks again

Dad said they had a slant van come in with no rod or piston on 5. Oil feed on crank hoseclamped off and rocker arms/pushrods removed. Guy was driving it like that.

Must have been slooowwww

Thank you all for the input. Yep, I believe that I don't need to do any more investigating to know this engine is retiring. Had originally hoped it was a timing/bent valve sort of issue. Maybe the car is ready to be put to rest.
Thanks again
There is a rebuilt slant in Vista that is free, look in for sale section! If your going to walk away from it, Shoot me a pic.

-
Back