SFI roll cage padding.

-

Cope

Fusing with fire
Reaction score
Got my SFI pads and DAM that stuff is like PVC! I get it, its ment to be hit with a helmet but I also want to drive this car on the street and i don't want my head impacting that hard plastic.

I'm wondering what you folks use on a street strip car?

Also I dont see any way to bend that pad round the curves in my cage? Maybe with a heat gun?

Thanks again.

Got my SFI pads and DAM that stuff is like PVC! I get it, its ment to be hit with a helmet but I also want to drive this car on the street and i don't want my head impacting that hard plastic.

Also I dont see any way to bend that pad round the curves in my cage? Maybe with a heat gun?

Thanks again.
Also if you have a cage and you run over 14 seconds you still have to wear a helmet because you have a cage in there. Really Reall they're quite unsafe on the street. I personally used pipe warmer from Home Depot and wrapped it with electrical tape every so often. just hold on to that stuff until you're ready to start it for under 10 or the 8. 5 you were looking for?

I agree it's super dangerous on the street, even more so as I have a driver's compartment/funny car cage, so it's gonna be my melon vs steel in an impact...

I want to pad the living piss out of this thing!

And you really want it on the street! That's when you don't have a helmit on!

I've never seen a black pool noodle. I think the pool noodle is a higher density foam than pipe wrap so it may absorb impact better.

What I may do is pool noodle then pipe wrap over that. I DO NOT want my head hitting the cage with or with out a helmet..

The pool noodles hole is pretty small to fit the cage. But it comes in cool colors. Like J PAR said the plumbing insulation is black and fits good.

Stroked340, I know summit sells a bunch of it, that's where my SFI pads came from but is it soft or rock hard?

I put this in my car it's off center non sfi, got it from eBay but it's from kirkey, it's soft, I just angled the more padding toward the inside. Hope they don't have a problem with it when I go to the track but will cross that if they bust me on it, mine like yours will be street driven as well. Going to zip tie or in place once it's all set and ready. Will probably have tp get the sfi ones once I take it to the track.

20170521_162141.jpg

Last edited:
The stuff that Summit type places sells in the 4 foot lengths is like the pool noodle stuff except has bigger inside diameter to slip over bars.
It has give and absorbs
Rather have it installed( on the street) and i do, than not.

Last edited:
That soft stuff helps when you knock your own head against the pipes. In any modest fender bender that stuff might as well not even be there. It absorbs very little energy. The sfi stuff,well that's what it takes. And forget about heating it up. Still won't bend. It will bend a little if you use heavy zip ties to secure it. That stuff is a sob.

E7683C23-6B32-4BD5-8447-54A639F8806D.png

I think this is what I used in the helmet area, I believe it has Velcro. It was hard to work with but got it done. No heat, think I did some pie cuts in spots

Go to your local dirt track or dirt track supplier. The padding they sell comes in black and is soft.

Thanks again.
How fast are you going that you need SFI rated padding?

The car is built for 8.50 tech, does it run 8.50 now, no.

But there is steel bars 8 inches from the side of my head. So in any kinda side impact my head is fighting for space with a steel bar.

Was is the smartest decision I ever made to build the cage around the driver? Probably not but I do want to to survive a crash at 150MPH at the strip and still not die in a 30 MPH crash on the street from my head hitting the cage...

This is part of the learning curve of building a full out race car and wanting to keep my license plate...

Last edited:
To survive both street and strip you need my patent pending head plates. Yeah these light weight plates mount to your cage with small block chevy valve springs and will ease the hurt of any impact! Be the first at your track! Dealerships available. Soon to come. Airbags that look just like roll bar padding.

I have the kirky head bolsters, yes they will keep my head from hitting the cage but man they suck for changing lanes..

Honestly that just may be the best way.

Some rear view cameras and head bolsters..

When I drive on the street I'm wearing 5 point harness pulled tight. It's just the play in my neck that worries me. My neck and back have taken some serious damage already, not to mention the damage I've seen as an EMT.

I fully understand what damage can be done to the body in even a minor accident.

Last edited:
I've never seen a black pool noodle. I think the pool noodle is a higher density foam than pipe wrap so it may absorb impact better.

What I may do is pool noodle then pipe wrap over that. I DO NOT want my head hitting the cage with or with out a helmet..
I just wanna chime back in on this.

I have removed the "drivers compartment" and my entire cage building thinking has changed due to thinking about cages and heads hitting them.

If it's a street car. The cage is more dangerous than it is safe and or cool.

-
Back