Shackle problem

-

Richie

Reaction score
Hi everybody:

My friend and I just installed an 8 3/4 in my Dart. How do I fix this? It spun up instead of pushing back. I don't know how it happened we couldn't have damaged the spring I'm sure. The other side is fine. There was an 8 1/4 in it before this one.

48078491877_c5b962cb90_b.jpg

Last edited:
take it apart and re install it or last option use a really big pry bar and pop it back in place with the car on stands in the back.

take it apart and re install it or last option use a really big pry bar and pop it back in place with the car on stands in the back.

Pop it back w/ the suggested pry bar, then note angle u have . u maywant to shim the front spring hangars a hair, 1/8" might do it. We used to have that problem on the hemi w/ s/s springs , they were in the right position when setting static too . Ws no big deal, only time they did it was when we had it jacked up , shocks loose to change rear tires.

Pop it back w/ the suggested pry bar, then note angle u have . u maywant to shim the front spring hangars a hair, 1/8" might do it. We used to have that problem on the hemi w/ s/s springs , they were in the right position when setting static too . Ws no big deal, only time they did it was when we had it jacked up , shocks loose to change rear tires.

Really nice to hear it's happened to other people...I had a feeling it did...I knew something would screw up everything else went so great lol

What did you do Richie?

The driver's side shackle was sticking up higher but I thought it would right it's self when the weight was back on the wheels but it flipped round instead. Now the car is back on the jack stands. Believe it or not I do have some 1/8" shims but I don't have a decent pry bar so I'm waiting for the store to open..

I don't really know why it did what it did. Fred just lifted the spring a bit while I was reinstalling the shackle mount

Last edited:
Check your springs too, I wonder if there are shorter than stock

You can also install a spacer behind the shackle mount. I have some 3/4" solid steel blocks installed with longer bolts & lock nuts to the frame. I did it on my race car to get the more favorable angle for racing on the shackles (bottom angled towards the back) with my SS springs. I have extra blocks.

I don't remember if the OEM set up has nuts built into the frame or they came with bolts & nuts.

You can also install a spacer behind the shackle mount. I have some 3/4" solid steel blocks installed with longer bolts & lock nuts to the frame. I did it on my race car to get the more favorable angle for racing on the shackles (bottom angled towards the back) with my SS springs. I have extra blocks.

I don't remember if the OEM set up has nuts built into the frame or they came with bolts & nuts.
I'll see how this stuff I got going first works out. Thanks for the info though.

Worked.. Canadian Tire pry Bar.:lol:It's almost down in the same angle as the other one now. What I'll do is just get my friend over here to lower the car while I reef on it just in case it flips up again but I think it's far enough down now. Thanks for the help everybody

Oh I think I know what happened..One shock looks longer than the other, the left one. They must of sent two different ones :realcrazy:

Back to the rusty Monrows I guess. They still worked well.

48084259523_7bcc225892_b.jpg

That was it..Put the monroes back on and all was wonderful..WEW :thumbsup:

I guess I'll get some Koni's and screw the KYBs maybe at least they'll send me two shocks that are the same
48085318142_b03f846e11_b.jpg

48085319462_70a01c363c_b.jpg

48085316817_682bf18182_b.jpg

Last edited:
Shackles don't appear to be original. Was standard practice in "the old days", to raise up the rear of the car to accommodate larger tires by changing the shackles to ones with a greater eye to eye length. This may or may not be an issue for you, just thought I would mention it.

-
Back