Shaving drip rails

-

RustyM

Reaction score
Anyone here shaved the drip rails on a Duster?
We are building a Duster Bb ( 511) bracket car, car has rust damage on drivers side drip rail and a little in roof above windshield line.
I will make patch panels for roof rust but, not sure drip edge ( gutter) is worth saving- i know there is rust between sheets.
Thinking of just shaving them and trying to flush out windows a bit.
This would let me get more rust out of the old girl.

Any pictures, ideas, experience would be greatly appreciated.

Oh btw- Hello to everyone from an old Texas geezer.

Thanks,
Rusty

This has become a very popular mod lately and I personally love it. Here are a few to look at

drip rail2.jpg

drip rail3.jpg

This should be an interesting topic!! :popcorn:

Personally, I don't care for it. To each their own, but I've never been into it. For whatever reason, I'm ok with it on old "Hot Rods" and "Street Rods", but I'm just not into it on "Muscle cars". I like the TV show Bitchin Rides, but I don't like how they always shave off the door handles and put their flush mount handles in them. If you do them on every car you do,... how unique is it anymore.

Like I said,.... To each their own, but one of the things I like about our old cars is the different styling cues that just don't exist anymore, and protruding door handles, drip rails, chrome emblems, etc,.... are all examples of those individual styling cues you don't see on modern cars. If you are into having no trim, no emblems, and everything flush,... pretty much any modern car will give you those things.

This should be an interesting topic!! :popcorn:

Personally, I don't care for it. To each their own, but I've never been into it. For whatever reason, I'm ok with it on old "Hot Rods" and "Street Rods", but I'm just not into it on "Muscle cars". I like the TV show Bitchin Rides, but I don't like how they always shave off the door handles and put their flush mount handles in them. If you do them on every car you do,... how unique is it anymore.

Like I said,.... To each their own, but one of the things I like about our old cars is the different styling cues that just don't exist anymore, and protruding door handles, drip rails, chrome emblems, etc,.... are all examples of those individual styling cues you don't see on modern cars. If you are into having no trim, no emblems, and everything flush,... pretty much any modern car will give you those things.

I don't disagree in general>
I think each application/car/build is different- or should be.
I'm not the cookie cutter type either.
This car as significant rust in drivers side drip rails and up into roof edge, so i have to cut some out, make some patch panel pieces anyway.
Shaving in this case would allow me to de-rust more of the area, make sure i kill as much as humanly possible.

Not sure yet what to do with window trim/seal etc though.

Thanks

I wondering about structural stability.
Where exactly is the roof panel attached to on the inner structure after the driprails are ground down?
Without having ever seen these parts apart I would think the driprails function as weld area for the roofpanel and inner side structures.

I wondering about structural stability.
Where exactly is the roof panel attached to on the inner structure after the driprails are ground down?
Without having ever seen these parts apart I would think the driprails function as weld area for the roofpanel and inner side structures.

It does, one has to cut then off, grind down a small area at a time and weld the area, then smooth it up.

A buddy did it on his '71 Chevelle. He cut 5 or so inches out and welded it up. Then went to the next section. He shaved the bumpers, handles, trim, marker lights, drip rails, flush mounted the front and rear glass. It makes a big difference in the overall look. I like it.
FB_IMG_1524777856944.jpg

He shaved the bumpers, handles, trim, marker lights, drip rails, flush mounted the front and rear glass. It makes a big difference in the overall look.

Yeah,... Kind of reminds me of Marilyn Manson or Bob Geldoff in Pink Floyd's The Wall movie with their eyebrows shaved off!!:rofl:

Just kidding,.... It doesn't look bad,.... It's just not my thing.

Yeah,... Kind of reminds me of Marilyn Manson or Bob Geldoff in Pink Floyd's The Wall movie with their eyebrows shaved off!!:rofl:

Just kidding,.... It doesn't look bad,.... It's just not my thing.

If he has rust problems, I say go for it, its not going to slow the car down any. Other wise why bother, it really wont make that much diff. E.T. wise.------jmo

I did this to my 68 Dart. And used all the original trim. It looked great . I cut about 2" at a Time welded then grind smooth. Make sure you watch the heat. I had a wet cloth and air gun handy to keep heat down also. I can dig for some pics if you like.

-
Back