Shifter jamming from inverse to first

-

Dervco

Reaction score
Car is stuck in first, had this problem with this inland shifter. When pulling out of reverse and going into first it’s like the rods jam. I can crawl under the car and tap the reverse rod with a hammer and it will pop out. Can anyone point me to the problem, is it an adjustment thing or is the reverse lockout not working probably? Thanks

Very lightly Loosen the side case, like one turn maybe 2, then gently tap the edge of the cover up towards the top of the main case. Then tighten. This will unbind the reverse arm inside the case and as Prof said adjust the rods.

Thanks for the input. I will adjust the shifter rods today. Look straightforward.

I had some issues like that. Changed out the bushings (worn) then set 1/4" pin thru shifter and adjusted all rods. Worked out well.

When you replace the linkage bushings, try not to use the plastic ones, look for some called "oilite" (sic). Be sure to use the washers & the correct hairpin clips. Check for slop on both ends of the linkage, transmission & shifter.

-
Back