shifter lubrication

-

Dave NEO

Reaction score
talking about the entire internal mechanism/levers - wondering what might be consensus here. have read light oil only and then seen others say pack in all the heavy grease you can get in there. '68 383, A833 w/inland. not a track car or big mileage driver. thanks for any comments

ok so I'm going with thick red grease that is pretty water and heat resistant. Don't have a bottom boot on it, but like I said, gets limited exposure to elements.. Really pathetic when you have to answer your own posts/questions! - lol

I answered you in your other thread here:

good grease for shifter mechanism?

I guess you didn't like my answer. How many frikkin answers are you lookin for? I'm going to stop wasting my time with this. I recommend something and then the person does the exact opposite. Good luck!

I know you did - thanks for your input. Trying to get some other experience /ideas as well.

' Back when' we actually drove these things.......like in the winter.......like when it was down to 20, 10, ZERO F, they could get a bit stiff. I can remember removing my boot and dribbling some oil down into the shifter. I also don't remember worrying about it much

Last time I disassembled mine years ago I lubricated it with a good white lithium grease. Very smooth operation and never gets too stiff from cold weather.

I see mechanic has it pretty well packed in thick, gooey red stuff. With most of these summer cars nowadays, the heavier stuff makes sense - holds up longer, works good. I had planned to spray some white lithium grease in there but it's looking pretty happy right now.

-
Back