Shifting into 3 at 3000 rpms how to adjust

-

gdbuick

Reaction score
Hello
I didn’t set this up as I bought the car with the work done. It’s a 383/727 with Lokar kick down. I know it has a 3000 stall converter and a trans go pack I believe. I’m trying to figure out how to make an adjustment to shift into third gear sooner. It wont shift into third until about 3000 rpm and 40 miles an hour approx..
I’m not sure if adjusting the kick down would help this problem or has nothing to do with this?

9FE99CE5-C036-45BF-B12D-717ECEF5FC41.jpeg

Hello
I didn’t set this up as I bought the car with the work done. It’s a 383/727 with Lokar kick down. I know it has a 3000 stall converter and a trans go pack I believe. I’m trying to figure out how to make an adjustment to shift into third gear sooner. It wont shift into third until about 3000 rpm and 40 miles an hour approx..
I’m not sure if adjusting the kick down would help this problem or has nothing to do with this?

View attachment 1715167834
Forget to mention 68 dart with 68 motor and 68 trans

Hello

Backing off the "Throttle Pressure" cable will do it, but it will also make the 1-2 shift earlier as well and make kickdown happen later in the throttle.
If you really want to solve this without affecting the other gears you would be well served to get ahold of A&A transmissions and get a modified governor.
You tell them when you want it to shift and they can sell you a governor customized for it.
I would start by backing down the throttle pressure cable 1/4 inch and see how it acts, as by doing this you may find a happy medium you can live with.

Definitely go with a custom gov, as you back off the cable you also are backing off the pump pressure.

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping for a quick fix as I have to drive backroads to drop of the car to get mini tubbed.
The throttle pressure cable I assume is the lower Lokar cable in my photo we are referring too?
If so for now do I want to try to loosen up the cable some 1/4 “ or tighten up I’m a little confused with this setup. I spent 27 years in the Buick world so this mopar stuff is new to me and I’m teaching my son as well. I will look into the gov option too.

Definitely go with a custom gov, as you back off the cable you also are backing off the pump pressure.

But for all we know at this point all shifts are late like 3rd.:D
If it shifts good on the 1-2 and then real late on the 2-3 then the governor is a good solution.
If they are all late and firm, then backing off the TP adjustment should fix it.
Actually a guy could even cut one loop of the governor spring off, but really only a person with good knowledge of what he is doing should do it that way.

In the "business" we used to add half of another governor spring into the existing one by screwing that half a spring into the original.
That made the TF trans firm up on the shifts and make them later for performance, be cause stock TF transmissions are for old lady's. :D

Awesome response, Trail Beast!

Thanks Bill, as I did my best with the info given.

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping for a quick fix as I have to drive backroads to drop of the car to get mini tubbed.
The throttle pressure cable I assume is the lower Lokar cable in my photo we are referring too?
If so for now do I want to try to loosen up the cable some 1/4 “ or tighten up I’m a little confused with this setup. I spent 27 years in the Buick world so this mopar stuff is new to me and I’m teaching my son as well. I will look into the gov option too.

I like to snap a pair of hemostats on the cable about where I want that little block on the end of the lower cable so I have a reference.
Either that or a mark with a sharpie on the cable.
You want a bit more slack in that lower cable, so you could move the little thing with the allen set screw in it toward the front of the car, or even easier to adjust the cable more forward where it mounts in the bracket since it has room in it's travel.
I'll mod your picture and repost it in a second here.

Ok, either or but not both as a little change makes a difference.
Then see how you like it, and now you know how to change it.
If it starts shifting into 3rd at 15mph you backed it off too much . :D

TP.jpeg

Last edited:
I like to snap a pair of hemostats on the cable about where I want that little block on the end of the lower cable so I have a reference.
Either that or a mark with a sharpie on the cable.
You want a bit more slack in that lower cable, so you could move the little thing with the allen set screw in it toward the front of the car, or even easier to adjust the cable more forward where it mounts in the bracket since it has room in it's travel.
I'll mod your picture and repost it in a second here.

Ok, either or but not both as a little change makes a difference.
Then see how you like it, and now you know how to change it.
If it starts shifting into 3rd at 15mph you backed it off too much . :D

View attachment 1715167853
Ok, thanks for taking the time to explain, I understand now.
The other gears I believe may shift ok but winter is just getting over here so I really don’t have much seat time in the car since I bought just before winter.

Ok, thanks for taking the time to explain, I understand now.
The other gears I believe may shift ok but winter is just getting over here so I really don’t have much seat time in the car since I bought just before winter.

No problem, and just remember the more throttle you give it, the later and firmer the shift will be.
So keep that in mind on your test drives.
Once you like how it shifts at normal driving, you will need to pay some attention to how it does at higher throttles.

Ok I really appreciate the help. I have a 50 mile road trip now to the shop. I made a slight tweak and will bring my Allen keys with me. I marked the cable so I can allways go back. I was just trying to make it a little easier for now as it seemed I was always in speeding ticket territory all the time to get it into 3rd. Nice setup for hammer time but not ideal when the police are around.

Ok I really appreciate the help. I have a 50 mile road trip now to the shop. I made a slight tweak and will bring my Allen keys with me. I marked the cable so I can allways go back. I was just trying to make it a little easier for now as it seemed I was always in speeding ticket territory all the time to get it into 3rd. Nice setup for hammer time but not ideal when the police are around.
This is a question for trailbeast-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have been thinking about installing a 5800 governor inmy 727. It shifts so dam hard in regular driving, that I`m worried about breaking something. If I`m accelerating it is acceptable. Wondering what the 5800 will do in regular driving on the street ?? Any thots ????????

No problem, and just remember the more throttle you give it, the later and firmer the shift will be.
So keep that in mind on your test drives.
Once you like how it shifts at normal driving, you will need to pay some
attention to how it does at higher throttles.

Thks TrailBeast, made a few adjustments on the way to the shop and shifting a lot better! Time for mini tubs!

Greg

This is a question for trailbeast-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have been thinking about installing a 5800 governor inmy 727. It shifts so dam hard in regular driving, that I`m worried about breaking something. If I`m accelerating it is acceptable. Wondering what the 5800 will do in regular driving on the street ?? Any thots ????????

I wouldn't know what it would do at lower speeds as it is made for a 5800 shift at WOT.
If I had that problem I might cotter pin the feed holes in the separator plate to limit the fluid speed to those clutches.
That way it would shift at the same RPM, but softer.
Maybe give A&A a call and ask them about that.
(317) 831-3066

I wouldn't know what it would do at lower speeds as it is made for a 5800 shift at WOT.
If I had that problem I might cotter pin the feed holes in the separator plate to limit the fluid speed to those clutches.
That way it would shift at the same RPM, but softer.
Maybe give A&A a call and ask them about that.
(317) 831-3066
THANKS----- WILL GIVE IT SOME MORE THOT .

-
Back