Shipping A Block

-

'64 Cuda

Reaction score
I need to ship a block from Georgia or South Carolina (could be either one) to South Dakota. Any ideas for a semi-cheap way? It's too heavy for UPS or Greyhound, even with the caps removed.

I bought a complete 340 engine and had it shipped from just outside Chicago to just outside DC for $195. Also bought a 340 short block and had it shipped from LA to DC for also $195. I sold a complete Honda 4 cylinder, shipped it from DC to Little Rock AR - cost $185. All 3 were shipped using a company called Forward Air. The only issue of using this company is that the shipper MUST drop the item off at one of their terminals and the recipient MUST pick it up at one of their terminals. I'm sure there are other options as well.

I had a complete engine shipped from Ga to New Mexico for around 150 on a freight truck. I believe it was Eastern freight or something like that.

Look into Yellow Freight. They have a pretty good coverage as far as terminals. Been a few years back now, but had an engine shipped from California to here that way. Seller drained the engine, wrapped it in in plastic wrap and card board, strapped it down to a used pallet (probably liberated from a Home Depot or similar where they have huge stacks of them) using cheap ratchet tie downs and then dropped it off at his local terminal freight collect. All we had to do was to pop down with a mate's truck to the local terminal when it arrived, pay for the freight and they loaded it up using a lift. Pretty painless really.

Probably other companies that do the same.

Cheers

I had a complete engine shipped from Michigan to Oregon....$350 through Central Transport (on a pallet). This was a month ago

Had a complete 413 shipped from Moline, Ill. to West Plains, Mo.. Terminal to terminal. $83.41. 3 days. Seems like it was Consolidated freight. It was mounted on a pallet with the fluids drained.

Central Freight is who Smallblock is talking about, I can look up some contact info if you want it, just send me a PM.

Call my buddy Tyler Sheff -- he owns FairPricedShipping.com. His toll free number is 888/762-7158 and he's at Extension 701. Guarantees to beat the 'other guys' by at least 50% and it's usually closer to 60% on items weighing over 75 lbs. He's also the same person who responds when you click on the "Contact Us" tab on his website, but you'll get a faster quote if you call him direct. Tell him Leanna referred ya.

Good luck with the block!

Hey Hadahemi: You did one great job on packing that engine but by the looks of the packing job you aint no novice. Great job and a big thank you. It's here in the shop.

Thanks Smallblock, actually it was the first time I've ever shipped anything, but I wanted it to get there safe and sound. Let me know how that engine checks out. 64 Cuda, Have you found what you were looking for? The people Smallblock and I used were real good to work with and the price was right, sounds like Cudachick has a good shipper also, shes got a good reputation and sounds like she uses her shipper pretty often. Good luck.

Hadahemi: Got a guy looking for a set of Max Wedge heads that he knows of and he's sending me a 489 case for the rear. The 62 Bel has a 741 in it now which won't suit me at all. I'll be gathering stuff for a year or two then wham. I've got a Dual Quad 440 roller motor coming out of the shop soon. May put her on the street with hat under the hood till the Max is ready. You guys check out the people i used on shipping and if you can do it from terminal to terminal. Much cheaper that way. Good luck.

-
Back