Shipping a car across country?

-

m52duster

Reaction score
Any suggestions on who to use or a rough cost on shipping a running car from Syracuse, NY to Phoenix, AZ? Was thinking of flying to Syr and driving back with my son, but by the time I buy two tickets, hotels and gas it may be cheaper to ship? Thxs!

It may be cheaper to ship, but the road trip memories for both you and your son will be PRICELESS!!!

Any suggestions on who to use or a rough cost on shipping a running car from Syracuse, NY to Phoenix, AZ? Was thinking of flying to Syr and driving back with my son, but by the time I buy two tickets, hotels and gas it may be cheaper to ship? Thxs!

There are a couple of threads kicking around that getting into the cost per mile to ship...coverd/enclosed versus open carrier..etc. A year ago I paid $1,400 for 900 miles enclosed.

Watch out who you use! I used a broker who subcontracted with another and was ripped off. I sent my Toyota Sienna from Texas to NC. The actual carrier damaged my car and put 300 miles on it. They refused to make it good and quit returning my calls & emails. Tried filing a claim against their insurance but was denied because THEY refused to cooperate with the insurance investigation!

In hindsight, I should have driven it there and flown back. Hindsight is always 20/20 or better, you know!

Hello m52duster:
As Ricks70Duster340 said be careful with Broker's....
In the past I have used
Reliable Transport
Plycon Transportation.
Pilot Transport
All of them are first class.
Keep in mind that when you use a broker you really don't know who has your car at any point after it leaves your sight. Some brokers use a network of trucks as that your car may leave Syracuse on one truck then be handed off to someone else in another state before it arrives at its final destination.
Call them and they will be happy to give you a quote.
Hope this helps...
Happy Mopar :)
Arron

I've never used them personally, but got close enough twice to using them that I did some homework on them. The people were friendly to work with. Has pretty good reviews and located here in NY. And no, the name had nothing to do with my choosing lol. Wound up both times doing the road trip myself with my wife and an auto transport trailer from Uhaul. Figured if I was going to spend that kind of money on having it shipped, might as well make a memory with the money instead.

RoadRunner Auto Transport | Nationwide Car Shipping Experts

Get AAA and drive it. You're going to pay for someone fuel either way, which theirs is likely diesel (more $$$/gal) and possibly marked up, plus someone else's trip to get it. Get AAA Premier (if you don't already have it, get it no matter what), and look at Amtrak too. I can take an Amtrak across Missouri in 5.5 hours, it's a 4-4.5 hour drive, and Amtrak is $36 round trip. Sleep, eat, drink when I want. It'd cost me a tank of gas one way to do that at $40+
I paid $660 for open transport on a pickup from Denver to Missouri (just across Kansas line) in 2013 when fuel was cheap. He didn't hurt my truck, but it was mildly stressful. For your trip, take some basic tools and parts, but you'd potentially be in the upper northeast in the beautiful fall, through to Phoenix before it snows.

By my math, you're looking at about $600 in gas at 18mpg, and two to three overnights at $80/each for a decent place or $40 for Motel 6. Meals are the same whether you eat 'em at home or on the road. The wife and I would just buy a cooler and sandwich makin's and the higher end hotels have breakfast (which you can take some with you in the cooler:p )

So $840 and add a hundred bucks for incidentals. Compare that to shipping it.

And you'd likely pass through Kansas City, where I might just buy you BBQ.

Obviously, this depends on the car. Get the production dates off the tires, get pics of the tread wear and all that.

It may be cheaper to ship, but the road trip memories for both you and your son will be PRICELESS!!!
Agree, I was desperate for a rust free
70 Dart. I found one in the high, dry Desert in Nevada. I have great family memories from it. The slant six in it burnt, smoked, leaked 27 quarts of oil on the 3000 mile trip to Fl. I would do the same again under worse circumstances !!

Watch out who you use! I used a broker who subcontracted with another and was ripped off. I sent my Toyota Sienna from Texas to NC. The actual carrier damaged my car and put 300 miles on it. They refused to make it good and quit returning my calls & emails. Tried filing a claim against their insurance but was denied because THEY refused to cooperate with the insurance investigation!

In hindsight, I should have driven it there and flown back. Hindsight is always 20/20 or better, you know!
Woah that’s brutal! What damage was done to it?? The 300 miles is crazy as it defeats the purpose of it being shipped.

I used a broker who subcontracted with another and was ripped off.
I got burnt by a broker too.Stay away ! You can check with member HemiSSDart .He moves cars all over the country and did several jobs for me. Price goes along with the fuel costs currently. At one time the rule of thumb was $1.00 a mile. I'm sure not anymore.

I recently used Reliable Carriers.... it was $2,300 from Florida to Wisconsin. It took about 8 weeks but all went smooth.

I have used a guy who has shipped cars for other members of FCBO, I paid $1300 for a non-op car on an open trailer from Seattle to Minnesota. It was there in four days, would have been two if the pass was open. I have nothing worthy of an enclosed trailer.

Used JTD Logistics to get a hauler

Very happy with the care taken

651200496.jpg

IMG_0342.jpg

IMG_0341.jpg

Last edited:
Transports are a crap shoot UNLESS they have their own rigs. I have been lucky with the 3-4 time I used a transport. I have a cargoing from S E Tx this afternoon to N E Fl. The buyer arranged the ride.
IF it is a safe driver, LIKE said, get there and drive it back. Make memories!
If it runs/drives putting it on a 18 wheeler rig is my idea of best. A hot shot can do great IF they are honest, trustworthy, and not drunk!! Good luck!
P S. Here in Texas the interstate if packed with Mex. flat towing 3 cars deep! You'd think that illegal!!

Yesterday, the hot shot guys showed up pretty close to one time, but they drove from Fl. to S E Tx here to pick up the 64 Savoy I sold. Nice new 1 T. Dodge Cummins with a paper D tag and a pretty new 20 ft. car trailer. Two young Cuban hybrids, maybe early 30s. They had a small ATV they turned side ways and had on back.
Straped it all down with straps about half the size most would use.

I have used Uship.com to move non-op cars. Pretty much they bid to move stuff. I paid about $1.60 a mile, but these days its probably closer to $2 a mile.

Logistics today are totally a mess.

RGAZ

I had a guy wanting one of my cars from West Tx. and I had friend that has a friend that hauls cars for him. He quoted $2 a loaded mile.

Thxs for all the feedback. Weighing my options now. Son said he'd be up for the trip? We'll see...

I bought a 1980 Volare' station wagon at Chrysler Carlisle and drove it back to Nevada.
Only had to get 2 head lamps as one caught a rock and the other burned out the next day.
Fun and a bit nervous because of being the car was unknown to me.
It will be a good time for you and your boy. As they say "Priceless".

Back in the 90s I flew from Mo. to Oakland, Ca and bought a GOOD 67 383 Cuda and drove back. But I knew it was a done car the owner had put a lot of miles on. Most fun I ever had. Drove 2 lane across Nevada and Utah till I got to Interstate in Co. In Nv. the signs kept saying "open range" in Ut and Nv, never say a cow in those states but I did see 5-6 humans!!
If I were you, and were to drive I would ask how many miles he has driven it. A good rad. is always my first question, IF it has good brakes and steering.
Life is an adventure.

If it was me and I was spending big money on it, I would go get it myself. With a trailer.

I've dealt with a guy named Joe at JandS transport a few times (he took care of everything) and others.... Never an issue.

Things can go wrong with any shipper, things can go wrong if you do it yourself.

Insurance is key.

I agree doing it yourself would be ideal if you have the rig and the time, sometimes that's just not the case..

Thanks again for all the replies. I should clarify this isn't a cool old car and I'm not going all Vice Grip Garage or now Roadworthy Rescue on this one. It's my dads last car, a 2015 CTS with 50,000 miles. Hopefully it should be good to go...

Thanks again for all the replies. I should clarify this isn't a cool old car and I'm not going all Vice Grip Garage or now Roadworthy Rescue on this one. It's my dads last car, a 2015 CTS with 50,000 miles. Hopefully it should be good to go...
Oh, in that case I'd take my sweet time and drive it back....if possible, of course. Be a great excuse to get out of the house for a while.

-
Back