Shock extension purpose

Suspension, Steering and Chassis

1. pishta

pishta I know I'm right....

Local Time:
    7:58 PM
    Had a good post going about shock extensions and what they do, but it was in the wrong forum so Ill bring it out in the proper section:

Shock extensions were used to extend a stock rear shock length to deal with SS springs or shackles, increasing the static distance between the rear axle and the upper shock mounts while using a stock length shock. When a SS spring or shackle suspension is at rest, the stock shock is very close to its maximum extension. Any appreciable rebound, and the stock length shock will hyper-extend and lock out before the axle reaches its natural rebound limit dictated by the springs, ie. going over a speed bump or railroad track at speed. It will make a terrible noise under the rear seat, like someone hit it with a sledge hammer. With extensions, you are getting the shock length back into its stock working range. They provide no lift by themselves, neither do any hydraulic shock. Pneumatic lifted shocks do assist in load leveling but should not be used to raise the rear of a Mopar as the upper shock mounts are not designed to support weight as their primary duty. You can use a longer shock (Chrysler Imperial was suggested) and get the same result.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • ragtopfury

ragtopfury Well-Known Member

Local Time:
      10:58 PM
      I got moderatored out of that other thread for questioning the descriptive use of said extenders to raise the rear of the vehicle..... :p

:mob: - no worries Mike, I know that wasn't the place for it. My panties are not bunched up about it...LOL

Great description/explanation of the proper use pishta!

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
      • RustyRatRod

RustyRatRod I was born on a Monday. Not last Monday. FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
        Shock extensions are a band aid. Get the correct length shocks and throw that bullcrap in the garbage.

• Agree Agree x 4
        • Like Like x 1
        • 70aarcuda

70aarcuda Master Hoader of SBM FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
          7:58 PM
          Longer shocks are needed usually on SS spring on the rear...if the shock get over extended while launching the springs will unload the rear end and the car will wheel hop...long shocks fix that....a cheap fix is the shock extensions..... I have a set on a 75 Duster with SS springs on it using CE 3 way shocks...

20180128_153433_resized_1.jpg

• Like Like x 2
          • Hyper_pak

Hyper_pak Old School Chrysler Fan

Local Time:
            9:58 PM
            Use the extenders on the top, no one sees them and they work.

• Mtrhead

Mtrhead Ace of Spades ♠️

Local Time:
            Thank you for educating me also pishta on their use , very good way to explain and makes perfect sense ..thanks, keep the knowledge coming!!

• toolmanmike

toolmanmike Moderator Staff Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
            9:58 PM
            I moderated myself out of that thread as well. We were all thinking Mtrhead was saying that standard hydraulic shocks and the extensions he was selling would raise the rear of the car. Nope but with overload shocks it would. (Air shocks too). We could have saved a lot of keystrokes if we would have figured that out sooner. No harm, no foul. We got it figured out and all is good!(

• Mtrhead

Mtrhead Ace of Spades ♠️

Local Time:
            There is always other info !!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalize content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
            By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.