shop crane

-

Snake

Mopar Nut
Reaction score
Had a problem with my 2 ton shop crane,i over extended it,i guess and it got stuck at full lift.had to wack the hell out of it,then it drop a foot or two.it now jack up fine but now it comes down very slowly,i mean slowly.I plan on selling it but dont want to sell it if its trash.O by the way its just over a year old,and only used twice. Any thoughts.

S6730003.JPG

You may have bent the ram? You can keep it if so & just buy a new jack cylinder assembly for it.

good excuse to put in an air/hydraulic ram.

I bet a new ram is same price (or close) to the price of the hoist. I would junk it (I wouldn't trust it)
You said "wack the hell out of it" guaranteed the tube is bent now lol.
You won't do that again??

Last edited:
Had a transmission jack do that. Had to hold trans while i put jack back under it. Was no fun.

So it drops slow even with a load on it?

I bet a new ram is same price (or close) to the price of the hoist. I would junk it (I wouldn't trust it)
the ram is only 89 bucks. no more whacking for me.

Avoid pumping to the limit and stow it mid travel. Wipe the shaft regularly with oil. Keep fluid full.

Alan

I can get an air over hydraulic ram at HF for like 80 some bucks......throw in the 20 or 25% coupon and you're golden. That's WAY less than the whole thing.......but this ain't Canada either.

Here it bees......

8 Ton Long Ram Air/Hydraulic Jack

And of course the standard hydraulic ones are cheaper.

doubt it was the ram,, probably over tightened the bleed screw and destroyed the needle/seat. At full extend the fluid goes over a relief, like your floor jack. Cant be over extended unless it is faulty first. imo.

-
Back