1. plumkrazee70

plumkrazee70 FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
    8:50 PM
    Hey everyone.

Here is where I'm at: I have a pole barn shop with two sides seperated by a wall. One side is 620 sq ft, concrete floor, insulated 8 ft walls and a loft above (Access by stairs on on the other side.)

The other side is 800 sq ft gravel floor, non insulated 16ft walls and an unfinished exposed loft. This will eventually be finished and concreted, but no eta yet.

I'm resto moding my 70 Dart and currently only use the concrete side.

I'm looking for an all around heating/cooling solution for my shop on a budget, since I'm not out there all the time (mainly because if the cold) and currently only use the concrete side. Gas is out of the question, due to how far away the meter is (over 500ft)

I found this on Craigslist and it seems like a good deal. 3 ton electric air handler/ furnace and heat pump

Thoughts?

I also added a few pics if the shop to get an idea of the setup.

IMG_20151016_181637713.jpg

IMG_20151016_174221541_HDR.jpg

2. plumkrazee70

Local Time:
    The second pic is super old, and taken when we were painting it.

3. hemi446

hemi446 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    9:50 PM
    Have you looked into a waste oil heater ? As long as you have a good supply of clean oil and and an air compressor it is cheap heat. We use it in my shop and it works great.

4. plumkrazee70

Local Time:
    I have actually. Was going to make one out if an old wood stove, but the reality is I don't have any oil supply. Plus the wife didn't like the idea of something home made. Lol.

5. 3rdLM23P9

3rdLM23P9 FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:

Love the Big Wheels!

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • hemi446

hemi446 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
      You can get clean oil from any transmission shop, repair shop, hydraulic shop most of the time if you give them a 55 gallon drum and ask them to fill it and then pickup it up right away and leave another one you will be good. Also you can find used and rebuilt heaters on line. The biggest problem we have with ours is because it runs 24/7 at 70-75 degrees all the time it has to be cleaned out once a season ( I just did it last week) and the oil filters need to be cleaned at the same time.

• plumkrazee70

Local Time:
      I have searched online, but haven't been successful in finding one that is reasonable priced. I have thought about getting the oil from a shop, but the ligilogis don't add up for me. I don't have a truck to haul the oil.

• Dicer

Dicer FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
      If you can I would have a LP tank next to the shop, heat with gas. Run your duct work like pretty much like your house, best reliable heat using a house type furnace.

DSCN1099.JPG

• Agree Agree x 1
      • plumkrazee70

Local Time:
        You mean Propane? I thought about it, but it doesn't pan out dollar wise. Propane is 2.29-2.49 a gallon here, plus the tank. And they would need to come refill it. Electric is gonna be our best bet.

Any thoughts on the unit I posted?

• Tooljunkie

Tooljunkie King of cobble/master of the broken bolt FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
        Ever considered a woodstove?
        I guess access to firewood is an issue without a truck.
        I did start with a wood chief stove. It was good until i switched to a pellet stove. I like the pellet stove,but today is an exception,-40 isnt going to be so easy to get it past 60.
        A buddy just found a used electric furnace,keeps shop just above freezing unless hes in there.
        Plus he has a woodstove,straight up through roof,his mezzanine is toasty warm.

• plumkrazee70

Local Time:
        Wife don't want wood or pellet. It doesn't get that cold here, average winter is between 35-50 deg. Garage stays about 48 with no heat. So electric I think would be easier

• Dicer

Dicer FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
        Yes, pretty much what I pay, I have the tank filled once a year, for the shop, 40x60 with a loft pretty much what you have. I did spend a lot for insulation in the walls and ceilings for sure, but it pays off in the long run. Here the tank is free if you buy the gas from them. The heat is almost instant and I can set the minimum temp easy enough. Most of all its a peace of mind, knowing the garage is being heated with least amount of worry and effort......

• LS-300

LS-300 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
        I use a bullet heater. It's kerosene/diesel fuled. They are forced air and need electricity but it's only 110v. Like one of these HH-125T-KFA.png

• Agree Agree x 1
        • halfafish

halfafish 66 Valiant, hot-rod in training FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
          6:50 PM
          My weather is very similar to yours, perhaps a bit colder. My shop is odd, 30x40 with a 10x40 room built along one wall. That leaves 20x40 floor space but the ceilings in the shop are still 18' high and the area above the built in room is part of the shop volume. The best thing I did was insulate everything. I bought the place with no insulation, and it made a HUGE difference. Just the insulation alone gets me 10-15 degrees above outside temps. I put in a pair of 60" fans at the peak to push the warm air back down in winter. I use the heater listed below on top of a propane bottle. It works like a charm. To preheat, I turn it on for about 15 minutes and turn the fans on low. If it's 35 outside, I start at 45-50 inside, and the heater will bring it up to the low 60's. That's plenty good for me, I just wear an insulated sweatshirt and I'm good to go. A couple of nice things about the heater, it's quiet, and doesn't use much fuel. I use a bigger (as in fatter) propane tank, that helps keep it from icing up when it's on high.

https://www.amazon.com/Dura-Heat-TT...48871521&sr=8-62&keywords=propane+heater&th=1

xx.jpg

• Ryan Hoelzer

Ryan Hoelzer FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
        • j.d.duggan

j.d.duggan Well-Known Member

Local Time:
          I have a 40x60 shop with 11' interior walls.this morning in okla. it was 15 degrees.but it was 42 in the shop.I have 2 window style heat and air units.one in each end of shop.best I could find at low's that run on 110 v.just cut holes in the shop and installed throw wall.turned them on this morning and its probley about 60 degrees now,(4 hours later)the main thing is good insalation.It doesn't get that cold here as a rule,but a few years back we got 28 days in a row that it never got above freezing and I never turned on the heat,didn,t have any projects going,but the shop never got below 40 degres.heat from the earth coming up through the concrete floor I guess.anyway the units weren't real cheap but they work pretty well and were fairly easy to install,no duct work involved.they probably cost about $12.00-15.00 a day to run both of them.of corse I don't have to run very often.:popcorn:

• j.d.duggan

j.d.duggan Well-Known Member

Local Time:
          oh ya,I have another shop that's not well insulated and those torpedo heaters work really nicely if the fumes don't bother you.I don't have a problem with them,but a lot of people cant handle the fumes.

• 69conv

69conv leaky gasket FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
          I use the same, gets my 40x70 uninsulated pole barn to 55 in the Michigan winter.

• plumkrazee70

Local Time:
          Interesting. I'll give them a call and get the specifics. I'd want to put the tank behind the shop out of site, I wonder if they can get back there easily with a truck. Maybe a hose?

• plumkrazee70

Local Time:
          There is one of these on Craigslist right now for $175. I was just worried about the fumes, the cost to run and the moisture.

• vitamindart

vitamindart Well-Known Member

Local Time:
          if you do decide on the bullet/torpedo heater get one that runs on LP and use the tank from a gas grill. there are way less fumes or smell.
          we used a propane torpedo for a long time. have since upgraded to a Modine but, it was -23 here this morning.....

• Like Like x 1
          • LS-300

LS-300 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
            You may want to check on the heat pump. Some have a minimum temp they will operate in. I think 35-40 might be as low as you can safely use them. If you don't get colder that would be a great way to go as you get both heat and cool. You would need some duct work but that's not hard. The unit you have the link for needs a compressor and that might be a bit expensive as it's a major component. But overall the idea is a good one.

• JBurch

JBurch Well-Known Member

Local Time:
            Here is a long shot idea............Geo-thermal......bury ALOT of pvc pipe 6 to 8 ft in the ground, circulate air thru the pipe, year around the air coming out of the pipe will be 50-55 degrees

It's an idea

• Like Like x 1
            • plumkrazee70

Local Time:
              Thanks. I think this is the way I may go. I asked him for the model number so I can get an idea on a compressor cost.

• 512Stroker

512Stroker We are all here because we are not all there.

Local Time:
              Here in MO our LP supplier offers a pre buy program.
              I purchased all the LP for my my house and my 40X50 foot shop back in August 18 for $1.15 a gallon.
              If you do it right you cant bet Nat gas or LP for heat, electric dont even come close cost$ wise.

• Like Like x 1
              • Agree Agree x 1
              1. This site uses cookies to help personalize content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
                By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.