Shop to Cut Down a 8 3/4

-

Josh Sutton

Reaction score
Howdy!
I found a *great* deal on a complete C-body 8 3/4 to swap into my '71 Swinger. Now the problem is cutting it down to fit. I can't seem to find a shop in around North Georgia to do it. No one seems to have the jig. Can anyone suggest a shop in North Georgia (Forsyth/Alpharetta/Roswell/ect.) that could do this? I'd rather not have to deal with shipping it to Moser... Worst case scenario I can just buy the jig and weld it together and order new axles. Thoughts/Suggestions?
Thanks in advance!
Josh

is a A body one that hard to find? upsell the C body one and find a A body one unless youre going to shorten the Abody one anyways

is a A body one that hard to find? upsell the C body one and find a A body one unless youre going to shorten the Abody one anyways
yes. and ive seen them SELL for nearly a grand here and around the web.

Howdy!
I found a *great* deal on a complete C-body 8 3/4 to swap into my '71 Swinger. Now the problem is cutting it down to fit. I can't seem to find a shop in around North Georgia to do it. No one seems to have the jig. Can anyone suggest a shop in North Georgia (Forsyth/Alpharetta/Roswell/ect.) that could do this? I'd rather not have to deal with shipping it to Moser... Worst case scenario I can just buy the jig and weld it together and order new axles. Thoughts/Suggestions?
Thanks in advance!
Josh

I'd buy new axles anyway. Re-splining costs are nearly as much as stronger aftermarket axles. You can ship it to Moser. they'll cut it for ya.

A-body diff housings are ridiculous. Foolish to pay for. Cut it down. You can do it yourself, but any reputable welder is capable of this. It's not the Space Shuttle.

A-body diff housings are ridiculous. Foolish to pay for. Cut it down. You can do it yourself, but any reputable welder is capable of this. It's not the Space Shuttle.
yeah, a good machine shop could probably do it for you too. probably less than 100 bucks if you dont get the axles resplined and just buy new ones.

Cut an A-body housing to fit an A-body????

C-body housings are cheap. A-body housings pull big doneros.

so you wouldnt want to use a Abody one and cut it down anyways?
why would you cut an A body housing to fit an A body? you wouldn't have too unless you're going drag car and wanting to stuff max tire width under it with a full tub. At that point, you'd be cutting one so much, it'd be money ahead to use the C body one. The C body one is sourced for much much cheaper. Either way, unless you just have to have a factory A body 8.75, its going to be more cost effective to source a B/C/E body one and cut it down. Or even a truck one.

Where do they cut them at? Do they cut and re-weld the flange? That would make sense wouldn't it. I'm thinking 9" Ford may be.

This one came with a car i acquired. It was cut at about 1 1/2" from the end of the tube.

IMG_7289[1].JPG

-
Back