Short BB Spk Plug Clear Headers, I think.

-

Rice Nuker

Let the Coal Roll!
Reaction score
So, I went on that internet and found people recommending this lawn mower plug for BBs so as to clear headers. Opinions and hell raising comments are welcome:)

My main hope is that it does not disintegrate into the chamber at 5k.

A little history: Jensen Interceptor w/ factory 440 and custom headers which are essentially slightly modified block huggers. We have successfully burned the 90 degree boots off a new set of accel wires then a new set of magnecores. The magnecores had the addition of nice boot sheaths I got from http://cableorganizer.com/insultherm-spark/ and the boots still melted to bejesus and back because the dang boot is completely against the header tubes on like 4 plugs (so the sheath is also mashed to the header). There is no other solution other than removing the headers on both sides and putting a nice massive dimple in there. I am trying the 6 dollar approach first. Each plug was 1.25 from Rock Auto.

I will post after pics of the situlation. Below are a few pics of how close the factory type plugs come to the headers. Which puts the boot directly up against the headers.

Attachments

• DSCN2116.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 132
  • DSCN2117.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 121
  • DSCN2118.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 121
  • DSCN2119.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 125
  • DSCN2120.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 125
  • DSCN2121.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 136
why not get longer wires run them under the headers (along the block ) and go up to the plug the 90degree boots pointing down no more touching the header , that's how they ran on my 440 till i changed headers

I did this on my 64 Sport Fury. Iron heads and hedman headers.Caught alot of grief for it but I never had any problems. Accel also has shorty plugs but they are not that short...........Furyus2

why not get longer wires run them under the headers (along the block ) and go up to the plug the 90degree boots pointing down no more touching the header , that's how they ran on my 440 till i changed headers

Yea, good question. The issue is about 4 tubes are directly in line with the plugs. So a person can angle the boots up or down, the area on the tip of the plug of the boot is still melting on the header.

Friggin ridiculous.

I did this on my 64 Sport Fury. Iron heads and hedman headers.Caught alot of grief for it but I never had any problems. Accel also has shorty plugs but they are not that short...........Furyus2

Yes, no kidding. The accels are not as short. Thats why I bought these..

Did you use the same plug or some other small engine plug?

thx..

Update. Car (short plugs) have about 250 miles on it and several different extended balls to the wall romps (308 gears). No plugs falling out or disintegrating. Not a miss fire. So, my opinion is - this plug works great. Will update after the Jensen Nationals. Going to do a lot of foot in the carburetor pulls, shooting fuel and oil everywhere for several days.

Shorty plug 440 update. Went to Jensen nationals. It was pretty hot on the drive up thru the mountains, 85 - 95 degrees outside. Engine coolant temps were around 210. These mini plugs performed great! On the way back at night in cool weather we were pouring on the fuel pulling lots of 2nd gear acceleration rodding thru lots of curves and putting the car thru its paces. We let those 3.08 gears stroke it on out in the straights. The car has never run so great. Having the short plugs which keep the boots off the headers works like a champ!
With about 500 miles on the plugs we are seeing 0 issue on this mostly stock 74 440.

-
Back