Should I go with carb or EFI?

-

'74 Sport

Reaction score
My parents have two mid-to-late 80s Dodge Maxi-vans sitting behind their barn. The bodies are worn out from being used in construction work, but the engines are supposed to still be in good running condition: one is carbureted and the other is fuel injected. Are there any particular benefits of one type over the other? Before my folks send the vans to the scrap yard, I would like to pull these engines and maybe use one in a '69 Barracuda fastback I have been eyeing for about a year. I would like to see about readying it for street/strip action.

Jerry

Using the carbed engine is going to be more straight forward of a swap than the EFI engine but the EFI will likely have slightly better mileage and improved throttle response. Also, either of these engines are from a dark time in mopar history. You didn't indicate if they were 318's or 360's but in either case they make less than 200hp and will not be steller performers.

Of course they can be rebuilt into impressive power makers but the stock EFI system won't be able to handle a built up motor.

ya what he said !!! Unless you are real familar with fuel injection then go carb the fuel injection is a big pain in the .... even when you are just trying to make a stock system run right but to modify it for a hi po motor is a test of wills .....will it run again ...lol

Sorry, I intended to say that they are both a 360. I know nothing about fuel injection, and am just now feeling my way around carburetors on my son's slant six 2-bbl. What was wrong with these engines during this era, and was there particular years worse than others?

Jerry

i would just go carbed, just get the best engine and swap a carb. intake, i wouldn't use that fuel injection, only later magnum style.

steve

-
Back