Should I have a bulge?

-

cruiser

Reaction score
Gentlemen: Do you have a bulge? I just noticed mine for the first time today, and I'm not sure that I should have one. I have a 1974 Duster with a replacement 1974 225 slant six engine. Its not the original engine that my car was manufactured with, but it is a correct 1974 replacement engine. I just noticed that my oil pan has a bulge in the driver's side just forward of the drain bolt (see photos). I've never noticed this on any of the other 225 motors that I've owned. Is this bulge supposed to be there, or is this some kind of damage to the oil pan? The pan has the number 265 stamped on the bottom. Is this the correct pan for my car? I'm not sure why Chrysler would intentionally put a bulge in the oil pan - perhaps for clearance of the oil pickup? I don't know. Can anyone tell me if this is normal, or do I need to get another oil pan without the bulge? If this is abnormal, do you think I could pound it back flat without damaging the pan? Ideas, anyone? Thanks - cruiser

IMG_3218.jpg

IMG_3215.jpg

IMG_3217.jpg

Yeah, that is the wrong side for a rod to hit but I guess anything is possible. I have seen oil pans swollen like a balloon from water freezing in the pan. If it were that it would be swollen on all sides and the engine would be trash anyways. If nobody else chimes in, I have a slant out in the garage I can take a peek at. Its a 71.

Hmm, have not seen that on 67 or 68 pans. That's all I know.

Yeah, that is the wrong side for a rod to hit but I guess anything is possible. I have seen oil pans swollen like a balloon from water freezing in the pan. If it were that it would be swollen on all sides and the engine would be trash anyways. If nobody else chimes in, I have a slant out in the garage I can take a peek at. Its a 71.
Yeah, please take a peek and LMK. Thanks - cruiser

Stop eating good food, drinking good drink and that bulge goes away.

Like RRR said, it looks factory. How about you drop the pan and see if the inside is scarred up from being hit with anything. Personally, I wouldn't be worried if you've been running that engine for years. After thinking about it, Just don't mess with it.

Cruiser- I'm going to look at my 74 225, and I'll let you know

Stop eating good food, drinking good drink and that bulge goes away.

Like RRR said, it looks factory. How about you drop the pan and see if the inside is scarred up from being hit with anything. Personally, I wouldn't be worried if you've been running that engine for years. After thinking about it, Just don't mess with it.
Years? Oh heck, leave it be,and don't lose no sleep!

I just looked at a 75, it has the same bulge... but I'm not crawling under there to look for numbers.

Yes, it’s factory. Oh, to be young again and the bulges are where they should be and not where they’re at later in life…

Cruiser- My original 1974 225 Duster has the Bulge
Thanks for checking. It looks like my bulge is supposed to be there, although I'm just noticing it for the first time after many years. Do you have any idea why its there?

In your picture it looks like there is a bit of a bulge on the other side of the plug too. Are they perhaps there to make sure the plug doesn't catch on anything?

I have seen posts with photos of ~10 different oil pans for the slant. Search and you might find your "265" pan in a photo. Some are less-known here like for trucks, marine, forklifts, or even stationary engines. If you do find it listed, next question is why that engine's pan needed the bulge.

-
Back