Should I keep my power steering

-
I am ditching the power steering and power brakes when I get the 360 built. The barracuda isn't my daily driver anymore.

Vacuum? We don't got no vacuum. We don't need no stinking vacuum!

I am ditching the power steering and power brakes when I get the 360 built. The barracuda isn't my daily driver anymore.

Vacuum? We don't got no vacuum. We don't need no stinking vacuum!

Manual 15/16" bore master cylinder makes your manual brakes work real nice, vs the larger bore factory manual masters that have a hard pushing pedal, short stroke, and poor brake control.

Manual 15/16" bore master cylinder makes your manual brakes work real nice, vs the larger bore factory manual masters that have a hard pushing pedal, short stroke, and poor brake control.
Do you have a part number for that master cylinder? When I look on Rock Auto, I don't see one that list the bore size and it sure sounds like I need that one. My brakes are all new, drums all the way around and the pedal is quite hard to push. Thx!

Do you have a part number for that master cylinder? When I look on Rock Auto, I don't see one that list the bore size and it sure sounds like I need that one. My brakes are all new, drums all the way around and the pedal is quite hard to push. Thx!

Cass over at drdiff.com has them for around a hundred bucks last time I looked.

In case others want to know also:
Part number for the 15/16" bore drum / drum master cylinders.

Raybestos MC 36338
71-72 DART manual, drum/drum
15/16" bore

Works good as B body drum/drum manual master also.

Available at Rockauto, Summit, and Ebay

20200224_132410.jpg

20200224_133337.jpg

20200224_132315.jpg

IMG_20200126_114717861_HDR.jpg

My factory manual steering in my /6 duster is very sloppy - most likely the box or pitman arm.. Then after I replaced the tie-rod ends it got a little harder to turn at low speeds.. The nail in the coffin was when I drove my neighbors 64 dart /6 with power steering and a smaller steering wheel. it feels sooooo much nicer and it's smooth!

plus I have all the parts to go power steering so I will be doing that mod this spring.

Like I said, 10 people, 10 different answers. I'm going with Power Steering just because I can lol....However nothing makes a car feel the road like a manual box....

JW

Hey guys I’m getting ready to do a bunch of work on my 67 dart. I have all the drivetrain from a 72 dart so it has the power steering from a 72 318 car. I am considering throwing a manual gear in the car because the power steering sucks. Has anyone done this and recommend doing it? I know I need an adapter or a manual steering column like this one Mopar Performance P4510637: Manual Steering Adapter Fits: A/B/E-Body | JEGS
I love manual steering in my A-bodies. I switched both Dusters I have now to manual. More room, 1 less belt, 2 less hoses, and much lighter. You actually don't need that adaptor if you lock a grip pliers on the steering shaft and pound it down - but either way.

71 dart. Leaked PS fluid all the time.

Came across a manual bix out of a donor car for free. Bought the adapter and presto noore leaks, no extra hoses or belts.

Just get the car rolling before you try and change directions....or its hand over hand. I also have a very small steering wheel so that makes it a little harder.

Like I said, 10 people, 10 different answers. I'm going with Power Steering just because I can lol....However nothing makes a car feel the road like a manual box....
I have noticed that manual steering cars seem to wear out front end parts faster than PS steering? Could it be the hydraulics provides a small cushion against shock?

JW

-
Back