shoulder belts in a 71?

-

Scamp Fasty

Going Nowhere Fast
Reaction score
Hey I need some help with this one, maybe from the guys up north. My 71 Scamp had no shoulder belts up front when I got it. Off of the vin I found it was built in Canada 1970.
One the web I read shoulder belts were not required till '74 in Canada and were an option for some cars before that. I also read that some hardtops, convertibles and trucks were also exempt for some time. I also understand most cars built in the USA were equipped with them since 68. I added belts in the back for my two kids but I still have no belt in the middle up front either. Do you guys know if the car came equipped with them and got removed or if the were truly still an option in Canada at the time of manufacturing? I assume my headliner has been redone and it does feel as if the mounting hardware is behind the liner. Thanks for any input.

I am not an expert... but I did a quick google search which seems to indicate they came with lap belts only... for example... Seatbeltplus says... "Our Mopar Seat Belts fit the 1971-1974 Plymouth Scamp. Choose between our original style replacement lap belts or choose one of our 3-Point Conversion Kits to replace your old lap belts with 3-point shoulder belts." Leads me to believe they came with lap only...

My 71 Scamp didnt have shoulder belts either (CA car), when I bought it. However I noticed when I had to drop the headliner that there were threaded mounts on the roof rail where a bolt would go. I assume it was for shoulder belts, no idea so Im curious as well.

My 69 B-Cuda Slickback came with seat, and shoulder belts, that are still in it. The shoulder belts have a clip, over the side window top opening, to hold them up, and out of the way, when not in use.
Dave

-
Back