Show me your 340 ignition wiring looms/routing

-

340inabbody

Reaction score
I have a high-rise manifold in which I could run wires under but I’m having trouble with clearance around the headers. Can you guys please show me your routing of your ignition wires to help give me ideas of how I can do it better myself?

I have a high-rise manifold in which I could run wires under but I’m having trouble with clearance around the headers. Can you guys please show me your routing of your ignition wires to help give me ideas of how I can do it better myself?
DSCF5281.JPG
DSCF5280.JPG

So maybe more information is better here. I am havya proble with clearance of my 5/7 wires and headers. See below.

6994EC60-4A52-4041-B11C-B35F8698BF64.jpeg

What headers are those? I have Doug's long tubes and I have PLENTY of space around my spark plugs. I have my engine torn apart right now so I can't get pics.

What headers are those? I have Doug's long tubes and I have PLENTY of space around my spark plugs. I have my engine torn apart right now so I can't get pics.
Unfortunately I don’t know the type of headers. Maybe they are Hookers?

I ran into the same problem when I went from the rusty/crushed headers the car came with, to a set of ceramic coated Hedmann's. The top pipe (#3) on the new headers is angled back 3/4" closer to the head than the previous set, rather than parallel-ish. I've got a set of those braided cloth heat shields over the straight plug wires for now. I'm going to try angled plug boots when I get new wires. Not perfect but it's getting me by for now. I think the only good solution is a set of TTI or other headers that don't run that #3 pipe over the top.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...rEm0qsZPgoxmQ06AsKIoiyu1vdTB2PrkaAi0yEALw_wcB

I ran into the same problem when I went from the rusty/crushed headers the car came with, to a set of ceramic coated Hedmann's. The top pipe (#3) on the new headers is angled back 3/4" closer to the head than the previous set, rather than parallel-ish. I've got a set of those braided cloth heat shields over the straight plug wires for now. I'm going to try angled plug boots when I get new wires. Not perfect but it's getting me by for now. I think the only good solution is a set of TTI or other headers that don't run that #3 pipe over the top.
Vibrant Performance Heat Protect Flexible Sleeving 25890
Yeah I was looking for a magic bullet solution that I didn’t think of. I wonder if those sleves can keep the wires from melting if the get real close or even touch.

I have the covers on the #5&7 boots of my 340 with Hooker Comps. They lay pretty much right on the header and so far so good after 6 months. I'll get a few pics next time I'm in the garage.

Pat

Not sure that this really helps you or not, but here's a couple of pics from when I pulled my engine that show just how much room you have to work with
for plug wires with Dougs headers on a 340.

IMG_20170125_195025454.jpg
IMG_20170125_195056222.jpg

I have the covers on the #5&7 boots of my 340 with Hooker Comps. They lay pretty much right on the header and so far so good after 6 months. I'll get a few pics next time I'm in the garage.

Pat
Awesome input Divenut. I would love to see a picture of them now and then in 6 months. Is there any way I can tell if these are Hookers? I would like to know what I have. Oh and NAUI or PADI?

Last edited:
You can tell if they are hookers by looking at the driver side bottom. It will be smashed flat. The hookers go around the steering linkage on the bottom on the drivers side. Pure junk. Mine were installed by PO. Removed by me with sawzall.

Awesome input Divenut. I would love to see a picture of them now and then in 6 months. Is there any way I can tell if these are Hookers? I would like to know what I have. Oh and NAUI or PADI?

Hey 340inabbody,
Just took a few pics as promised.
20190102_204206.jpg
20190102_204132.jpg
20190102_204158.jpg

Oh, and PADI since 89.

Be well,
Pat

You can tell if they are hookers by looking at the driver side bottom. It will be smashed flat. The hookers go around the steering linkage on the bottom on the drivers side. Pure junk. Mine were installed by PO. Removed by me with sawzall.
Lol Mike I like a guy who has opinions! If not this forum would be a dull *** place lol.
Ok so I have to see if the pipe has a flat spot on the bottom of the collector or one of the pipes? What did you replace them with?

Like this? LOL ;) They were on the Duster when I bought it 9 years ago. Were covered with surface rust. Cleaned them, coated with POR15 followed by VHT. No hating here! I've run Hookers on my cars for years. Lots of bank for the buck.
I will most likely put them on my next car too.

Pat

20170416_111800.jpg

Like this? LOL ;) They were on the Duster when I bought it 9 years ago. Were covered with surface rust. Cleaned them, coated with POR15 followed by VHT. No hating here! I've run Hookers on my cars for years. Lots of bank for the buck.

Pat

View attachment 1715270094
Hum no dimples on my mystery headers......

Pat

Those lifts are awfully sexy wish I had a pair of those!

Pat

Oh come on, those are just love taps. These are probably not Hooker, but all the cheaper headers route around the suspension and act as skid plates. Even with the collapsed tubes the car ran pretty good with these.

IMG_1548.JPG

IMG_1849.JPG

My engine is out of the car now so I can't take pictures but this is what I used and how it looked (not my engine)
Spectre Performance 18483 , Wire Separators
I run these plug wires and one boot touches the header but after 2 years it shows little effect on it.
Summit Racing® 8mm Ignition Wires SUM-867807

loom.jpg

My engine is out of the car now so I can't take pictures but this is what I used and how it looked (not my engine)
Spectre Performance 18483 , Wire Separators
I run these plug wires and one boot touches the header but after 2 years it shows little effect on it.
Summit Racing® 8mm Ignition Wires SUM-867807

View attachment 1715270286
Ok good input and good to know. Silicone starts having breakdown around 300F depending on the type used. Headers at that area are like 500F. So I am concered about contact. Love the color of those wires! They would match my fj5 sublime!

-
Back