Show us your home made tools

-
Made a five dollar tool to press LCA bushings in. Hose inside is 3/4 to protect threads and center bushing. Had to grind out half the threads to slip it over the shoulder of the bolt. Pipe is 1". "Hammer" heads could put a cap on the end and pound away.

Attachments

• 2014-01-12_13-07-25_458.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 1,838
  • 2014-01-12_13-07-35_725.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 1,795
  • 2014-01-12_13-14-51_382.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 1,674
  • 2014-01-12_13-24-06_669.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 1,719
Nice job. I'll be rebuilding my font end in a few weeks. I think I'll just have to make one of these for myself.

Ted

Been building a lot of rears lately so I built a simple 7260 yoke holder out of a washer and piece of flat stock.

Attachments

• 20140116_190741.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 1,749
  • 20140116_190721.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 1,615
Not really a homemade tool, but an alternate use for a tool shooter use. When I used to work on Jeeps, 90% of the bolts were rusted or just plain nasty. We kept a brass vibrating tumbler (for cleaning brass ammunition casings when reloading) around loaded with sand. drop your bolts in there for a couple hours, when you pull em out, no more grease or rust.

66Dvert, if it's home built it counts
Cool,
Then they both count since I made em from pieces I had and found online to get the results I wanted. I'm playing with the DIY wooden cnc now. I'm making kick panels molds with speaker pods in them for my early A's and just waiting on the electrician and some aluminum to finish off the vacuformer so I can make the ABS kick panels.

on the vacuformer it's all done except for wiring it to the fusebox and breakers
I have a 2' x 2' platen for small pieces (like the kick panels) "done". the 2' x 4' needs the aluminum plate bent and sealed to the platen so that I can do my rear side panel top plastic piece for my convertible (oh and all 4 splash shields, I'm tired of rotten splash shields) the 2'x 6' (for my convertible top header channel, console and other stuff) is just gonna have to wait on more money(and time!). I built a smaller one years ago and was sorry I sold it. This is the big brother of the small one and I'm keeping it. just think of it as a monster toaster oven.

That's cool! Those Dremel cut off wheels suck though, at least in my experience. They seem to come apart if you look at 'em funny.

hey thanks. and yes wheels hopeless if put any pressure on em but sweet for this. the whole ryobi set up is only good for lite stuff really

Finished making an engine dolly today....for the slant.

Attachments

• IMGP3192.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 1,604
  • IMGP3193.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 1,468
  • IMGP3194.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 1,436
  • IMGP3195.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 1,474
Been thinking of some scrap steel and engine "dolly" tho mine wont' have wheels

Got tired of some of the spools being all over the place. Made a caddy out of some junk shelving brackets, rod and washers for a few of the high use stuff.

Made this about '82 as I didn't like continually renting them. Hauled three 20' rectangular tubes under my '77 Ramcharger from the iron shop. Removing two bolts and two pins I can lean up against a wall out of the way. Rolls between wheel wells in my pickup. A little on the heavy side but has no trouble with a 440 with trans attached. You can see by the picture it's dual purpose. Gave the kids something to do one day during summer vacation!

Attachments

• DSCrane.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 1,506
Hauled three 20' rectangular tubes under my '77 Ramcharger from the iron shop. !

Oh that's FUNNY Years ago I scored several lengths of black pipe fer haulin it off. I didn't have a rack. Hauled it under my Ferd Courier!!!

Not a tool, but home made brew sculpture
null_zpsde230c0a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

And I powered a hand grain crusher and put on a high tech hopper extension

null_zps5a00dc8c.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Here is one I fabbed up when I was torquing down my Air Gap intake. I could not get a torque wrench in the middle sections at all so here was my fix!

Attachments

• IMG_1221.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 1,475
  • IMG_1222.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 1,432
Here is one I fabbed up when I was torquing down my Air Gap intake. I could not get a torque wrench in the middle sections at all so here was my fix!

Does that give you an accurate torque reading? Or do you have to adjust the torque for the middle ones?

I was always taught if you hold the torque wrench at a 90 deg angle to the crowsfoot regardless of horizontal length, there is no torque multiplier as you are not increasing the vertical distance from the fastener when you are applying torque. Correct me if I'm wrong? I see a possible debate developing...not my intention guys. Sorry in advance, just trying to help with my ideas!

OK I just did an experiment and here is what I came up with. Check out this website:

http://www.cncexpo.com/TorqueAdapter.aspx

Measurement A = 90
Measurement E = 5.5
Measurement L = 17.5
Measurement D = 25

The result holding my torque wrench at 90 degrees came out to 25 ft lbs which was the same torque as a normal torque wrench setting without an extension. If you hold the torque wrench at 0 degrees then you would need to set the torque wrench to 19ft lbs. The eddy air gap intake calls for 25 ft lbs so no adjustment was required as long as you held it 90 degrees. Hope this helps explain.

Attachments

• IMG_1224.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 1,404
  • IMG_1225.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 1,368
smartken22- That's awesome info! Thanks for that. I wasn't trying to start any sort of debate either. I was just wondering how torque readings were affected by the extension. That link you posted is very handy.

Mopowers - No problem at all! I know you were not personally trying to start a debate, but you know how some guys get in this forum so I wanted to make sure I was explaining it correctly! I always like to give references and pictures with what I try to explain. I was taught this rule in the schools the Navy sends us to. We use crowsfoot extensions all the time to torque flight control actuators so this is critical!

OK I just did an experiment and here is what I came up with. Check out this website:

http://www.cncexpo.com/TorqueAdapter.aspx

Measurement A = 90
Measurement E = 5.5
Measurement L = 17.5
Measurement D = 25

The result holding my torque wrench at 90 degrees came out to 25 ft lbs which was the same torque as a normal torque wrench setting without an extension. If you hold the torque wrench at 0 degrees then you would need to set the torque wrench to 19ft lbs. The eddy air gap intake calls for 25 ft lbs so no adjustment was required as long as you held it 90 degrees. Hope this helps explain.

That's interesting. I always thought no matter how you held the wrench it'd affect the torque reading if you added something to extend it.

Yoke holder for a 1350. Going to put a plate on the other end for 7260-7290 yokes.

Used it today to install a yoke on a 489 pumpkin. Worked great.

-
Back