for porting
checking spring height
etc.

cut rocker shaft in half
used to attach head
locking collars to position head

002.jpg

2-13-08014-1.jpg

That's a real nice way to hold the head. Like it better than the plate on the end.

Bump, on the tube straightener : Tubing can be straighten by unrolling it on a semi-soft work mat on the floor or a board. I was a dry cleaning equipment installer, and that's how it's done by "steam fitters" in the customers shop.

And you can use a motorcycle jack for the rear end swaps, since it moves in an arc, it makes the pumpkin go forward and down. Or use it to cart the whole housing under the car and raise.

Thanks, for the pictures on how to use the press for lower control bushing. Any more on the press work will be appreciated. Pictures, on how can it be used instead of the pipe and bolt on the uppers?

Wish i could so you guys some of the stuff i make but its confidential. I'm a manufactoring engineer (i design tools) for a drilling company

I was just thinking this. I'm was an aerospace mechanical engineer in a previous life and I was always in awe of the tooling guys. They were damn creative!

Bump, on the tube straightener : Tubing can be straighten by unrolling it on a semi-soft work mat on the floor or a board.

Sure it can be done that way and I've done it myself enough times but you'll never get it as straight as you can with the tool.

When I started my project I didn't have a welder, nor did I know how to weld, but I did out of a lot of wood kicking around. I wanted to get started on my car and one of the first places I wanted to get started on was seeing what I had to work with which meant getting rid of all the undercoating. So I built a wooden rotisserie. Crap, now I have to figure out how to upload pictures via my phone.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 1,341
Goop dispenser, Just add a little water to thin it out. scoop it into a ziplock bag and cut a corner out of the bag then squeeze it into an old shampoo bottle.

Attachments

• IMG_20140914_200002.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 1,284
I ve never seen another. You gotta do what u gotta do. Good job. Was probably easier to build than a steel one. As long as it gets the job done

i have been known to use tootsie rolls for ear plugs in the shop. super ghetto but it works and its better than having ringing ears. just to be clear ... i do not eat them after use!

Not a new tool but a new use for one. Those magnetic cups you can get at H.F. come in real handy for sand blasting small nuts & bolts, without losing any.

I made a welding table last year, comes in real handy. Solid and perfect for making fixtures and jigs and keeping things straight.

Then I built a fixture to hold the Kframe so I could weld and make repairs. Then I removed it and added some wheels so I could roll the completed Kframe around and under the car. I also built a dolly to roll the car around the back yard.

Attachments

• K frame jig.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 1,149
  • IMG_0713.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 1,120
  • IMG_0613.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 1,167
  • IMG_0710.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 1,178
  • IMG_0614.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 1,130
Poor Man's Measuring Stick-
( have extra long, short, or all thread to make what ever length)

010-3.jpg

use to measure roll bar lengths
Not waste materials,
by being to short
or time and materials, cutting tools- making it shorter to fit...

get measurement

008-1.jpg

transfer to tubing cutter
Cut
Perfect fit !

011.jpg

needed to change my truck lube and refill my Charger rear and the thought of squeezing all those bottles or pumping that pump made my arthritis cringe so I made a rear lube installer out of an empty R134a pig and some time. Heres a quick buildup and some pics. I braized the top fitting, handle and wheel stand on because I needed to renew some old skills and the crappy china pipe fittings weld like crap. If I changed one thing overall, I would change the top fitting to a 1 1/2 male plug with a 1/2 hole with a pipe plug in it. I remembered that from the last one I built 15 years ago about 10 minutes after I did it just like the last one. Oh well. The wheels came off a dumpster find grill, the AC hose from Ebay, the adapter fittings for the hose to tank and blow gun from NAPA and the blowgun from my collection of misfit tools. I still need to add a piece of copper tubing to the blow gun. I also bought a tire valve somewhere because I had one that I used. Basically, cut a hole and put on your lube fill valve. Drill a hole and put in the air fill valve. Install the hose to the original shutoff valve on the bottom of the tank with blow gun. Fill with lube, pressurize with air, bend copper tubing to stick in side of trans and push the button. Volare ! The handle, wheels and paint are just extras you need if you want the other guys in your shop to think that you are OCD. For those that are OCD , the handle is just a piece of 3/4" conduit and a ebay white sparkle bike grip and the paint is Rustoleum enamel with acrylic enamel hardner. Cool Sinclair sticker is a Ebay necessity. Please note that all tools are dangerous, welding pipe will kill you, it's illegal to reuse a Freon tank, pressures above 160 will blow out the popoff valve and this is not for internal use. It had to be said.......

View attachment rear luber 007.jpg

View attachment 03122014 064.jpg

Good idea. Seems to me a foot pedal to control the on-off switch would give you both hands free to control the part better. Maybe even a speed controller to slow it down some too. Just a thought

Foot pedal and speed control just need to be hooked up...
Thanks
Aaron

Got tired of fighting with the universal adjustable spanner wrenches so I built one specifically for the 8-3/4. I realize you can buy them for about $40 but I had the materials to make one laying around and it took less than an hour. Still need to paint it.

Even though the main rod looks like a jack handle it's actually an old 5/8" diameter drag link from a lawnmower. You might also be able to use a old jack handle if it's diameter is large enough to accept 1/4" holes and still be strong. The pins going through are 1/4x3" stainless bolts that I cut the heads and threaded section off leaving just the smooth section. Drilled holes in the main rod, slid them through and welded them in place. They stick out about 3/8" on each side. Added a piece of pipe to make the handle o.d. larger so it's easier on the hand. Not only do I not have to fight the adjustable spanners to keep them adjusted right this is longer so you get more leverage to tighten the adjusters easier

Attachments

• DSC00032.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 1,039
  • DSC00033.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 1,043
  • DSC00034.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 990
Not a tool, just a tip. When changing the intake on a small block. Remove the thermostat housing and thermostat. Use a wet dry shop vac and a rag to remove the coolant from the block. If the shop vac is clean you can reuse the coolant.

-
Back