Show us your home made tools

-
I just love this thread! Every time I'm looking at buying another tool,I come here first to see if anyone has made it and how it turned out. Creativity here is boundless and I see many tools homemade that I NEVER would have thought to tackle.

I should take some pics of my home made tools and share em!

Don't have pictures, but I convertered a 1 gallon insect sprayer in to a power bleeder for brakes. You fill it with brake fluid, make a adapter that fits the master cylinder, pump the handle to about 10 psi. I mount a pressure gauge on mine and found that 10 psi seems to work the best. The fluid in the tank is drawn into the master cylinder then through the lines and viola pressure bleeding the brakes. I use this system when I replaced all the lines, wheel cyl and master cyl on my Valiant. I also have used it on other cars and it always works flawlessly....

Would like to see some pictures of this!

my homemade rotesseri, the upright sections are crank down tractor-trailer legs ( landing gear) that a friend gave me. the rest is just 3' square heavy wall tubeing, and chanel iron.

Attachments

• my duster 047 (Large).jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 4,503
my homemade rotesseri, the upright sections are crank down tractor-trailer legs ( landing gear) that a friend gave me. the rest is just 3' square heavy wall tubeing, and chanel iron.

Very cool! My kind of project;it recycles something,modifies it and builds it to something new and usefull!

a 4X4 across your inner fenders with long carb studs and wing nuts, lets you take your K out without pulling the motor. It was in an Old Mopar FSM !
Galvanized pipe make a great breaker bar extension too, cheap!
A socket in a balance hole in a crank counterbalance rotated to hit the pan rail makes a good "stop" when you are loosening/tightening the damper bolt
9cd4f74de11e43b58a976a6d722beebb.jpg
STAINLESS_TUBE_ROUND_118_3000.jpg
5885772107p?src=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.jacksoniris.com%2Fimages%2F31b6Y7RDrTL.jpg

Here is my homemade valve spring compressor. Cut up rocker shaft and stamped rocker, a piece of rod stock and small scrap of tubing. Works great.

Attachments

• 318 heads.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 4,967
  • 318 heads2.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 4,342
Just had to add this tool I made today -a homemade control arm bushing puller .Total cost in materials $10.59 . I used a 2"W X 3"L threaded pipe with cap.Drilled hole off center ran allthread down the middle . Tighten the nuts and the bushing slides right out! Didn't take too much effort either. I did soak the a-arms in evaporust overnight.Should work just as well to install the new bushings .

I bought some stainless allthread with this project in mind today!

that control arm tool is the cats meow

i'll second that. mine is just a pipe, threaded rod, some nuts, and some washers. no finesse at all, but it works. i don't have a bench vise so i use the floor (carpet) for leverage.

pushing out.

mattsvaliant00035ucadejavu.jpg

pushing in.

mattsvaliant00032ucabushingpress.jpg

carb bowl drain (brake cleaner can)

ccrp_1104_13_o+holley_carburetor_rebuild+holley_bowl_drain.jpg

421162_10151292637545573_561290572_22936433_2038411563_n.jpg

double post didn't see this thread earlier.

Some people might not know this, but powder coating work requires that the part not be touched at all while it's in the 'raw' uncured state. I personally strive to not have wire marks or any evidence of how I suspended the part. As a result, all of my jigs are homemade ...

Right in the front on my work bench you'll see a Slant 6 valve cover jig. On the top shelf behind it from the left, hardware jigs and various length roundbar hooks for heavy parts and wheels ...

View attachment 025 - Copy.jpg

Top shelf on the left are old (no longer used) valve cover jigs, my fully adjustable hood hinge / spring jig (allthread, nuts and 2 pieces of L-angle), taller air cleaner base jig near the back, and the vastly-improved valve cover jigs I use now on the right. I have several more sets of these not pictured here. The really long beige tubing also uses 2 of the roundbar hooks and goes through the center hub on antique spoke wheels.

View attachment 026 - Copy.jpg

The bottom shelf shown above has an intake manifold jig on the left (yep those are old cast iron shelf brackets LOL), the weird round thing in the middle uses one of my big roundbar hooks up there ^ ^ ^ and fits inside the roof trolley of my oven; it suspends / rotates motorcycle frames by going through the head stock with more allthread. On the far right are air cleaner jigs (the tall one is laying down behind everything else). You'll also notice some more old shelf brackets stashed in case I need them for something else. :-D

And bonus points goes to whomever can guess what I use this for. It was literally years in the making since all prior jig efforts to coat those parts always resulted in a mark somewhere. Not anymore!!!

View attachment 027 - Copy.jpg

Billy tells me this thing was used by the military. "A hook went through there and a bomb screwed onto this end ..." Yeah, okay honey. :-D All I know is it's the best body work dolly I've ever found that fits my hand, and despite the crappy pictures I can tell you it's magnificent for getting into the corners ...

View attachment 022 - Copy.jpg

View attachment 023 - Copy.jpg

No clue what this thing used to be either but I use it a lot for dings, dents and gasket rail corners on valve covers. It's about a half inch thick and the slight bend comes in handy sometimes.

View attachment 024 - Copy.jpg

You chromed the bracket yourself? How is this accomplished?

my most clever creation was giving a friend a piston for an ashtray (very original to those who don't know cars too well). This thread is awesome the ingenuity is FANTASTIC! :mrgreen:

my most clever creation was giving a friend a piston for an ashtray (very original to those who don't know cars too well). This thread is awesome the ingenuity is FANTASTIC! :mrgreen:

I've got two old dome pistons on my work bench. One even got attacked by the Dremel to have half-circle cutouts to hold the cigarette. You can see one of them behind 65Dartman's Slant 6 valve cover on the left.

View attachment 020 - Copy.jpg

I don't usually put my butt in the work sample pictures :-D but this one is a "during" pic ... had to make sure he liked the colors before I move forward with the PlastiDip.

And bonus points goes to whomever can guess what I use this for.

I am going with some type of wheel stand...
C

-
Back