Signal trip mech / steering wheel

-

1969dodgedart

Big Block 440
Reaction score
I have a 1969 dart and I'm looking for information to set orientation of the signal trip mech on the back side of the steering wheel? Sits under the horn contact ring . Thx

Not sure if I understand the question. The trip rod is integral to the steering wheel. The steering wheel only orients one way on the steering shaft splines due to the wide land on the wheel and shaft. It only slides on the shaft one way....unless someone has ground or filed the land to be able to fit the splines in any orientation, allowing the wheel to be arranged in a different position on the shaft.

Not sure if I understand the question. The trip rod is integral to the steering wheel. The steering wheel only orients one way on the steering shaft splines due to the wide land on the wheel and shaft. It only slides on the shaft one way....unless someone has ground or filed the land to be able to fit the splines in any orientation, allowing the wheel to be arranged in a different position on the shaft.

Send you a pic tomorrow, you'll see what I mean.

The cancelling cam...although it’s really a ring.

upload_2021-8-11_20-18-28.jpeg

upload_2021-8-11_20-19-42.jpeg

See if this thread helps any. The stud or rod should be in the center of the switch when the wheel is installed.
Turn Signal Will Not Cancel In One Direction
Perfect, thats what I needed to know. Much appreciated. Bought a brand new wheel and when I put power to the car the horn was staying on so checked for continuity and found it was making contact because of a defective wheel at contact ring and signal canceling stud . Now gotta fight for a replacement. Thx

Last edited:
The pin should be at exactly 9 o'clock. I had to make a new insulator for one of mine a while back. Made it out of a plastic milk jug and used a hair dryer to melt it into the correct shape. Took a bit of trial and error to get one made just right, but, it tested out fine in the end.

Classic Industries has a 2 piece package, horn contact and a new ring. I use a line wrench for a ring knocker.

-
Back